Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
MikeC
Uber Brawn
Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

MikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributor
Default Depression and teens

I have a teen that is depressed. He's been to see a counselor and was prescribed medication. We were told that the depression is mild and were very frustrated that the counselor didn't provide our teen with any advice on coping, communication or decision making. We feel like the counselor listened, enabled our teen (not he seems to feel and talk like a victim) and wrote out a prescription.

Anyone been through anything similar with teens and depression medication? I am not convinced this counselor helped my teen at all.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

I don't have any experience with teens and depression, I do know that meds for depression can cause issues and they should not be the first course of action for anyone of any age, IMO.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I only know one person that was on meds. This may be an extreme case but it's all I know.

A wife of a work friend was on meds. She called the doctor to let him know something wasn't right and she was feeling more depressed. The doc kind of blew it off and scheduled an appointment in 3 weeks down the road for an evaluation. A week before the appointment this woman ended her life.

The husband said before meds she was depressed but not suicidal.

I understand this is one story, and may be extreme, but if I were in your shoes I would research the usage of medication and get a second opinion.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
I have a teen that is depressed. He's been to see a counselor and was prescribed medication. We were told that the depression is mild and were very frustrated that the counselor didn't provide our teen with any advice on coping, communication or decision making. We feel like the counselor listened, enabled our teen (not he seems to feel and talk like a victim) and wrote out a prescription.

Anyone been through anything similar with teens and depression medication? I am not convinced this counselor helped my teen at all.
Mike I am a special education teacher, and deal with this a fair amount.

Have your teen start a journal, just to get out things that happen from day to day. Search for a mentor, maybe someone only a few years older. Also privately meet with your teens teachers. Make them aware, and hope that maybe one has a connection with your teen that can help grow. A lot of these things come down to confidence, and lack of appropriate friendships. I would be happy to talk with you through PM or phone if you like. I am honestly very against medication, but you need to make a decision that will be best for your family.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I only know one person that was on meds. This may be an extreme case but it's all I know.

A wife of a work friend was on meds. She called the doctor to let him know something wasn't right and she was feeling more depressed. The doc kind of blew it off and scheduled an appointment in 3 weeks down the road for an evaluation. A week before the appointment this woman ended her life.

The husband said before meds she was depressed but not suicidal.

I understand this is one story, and may be extreme, but if I were in your shoes I would research the usage of medication and get a second opinion.

I was doing some research on meds for depression, a while back, and saw quite a few instances of the sort you describe as well as homicidal ones in which people had been killed by the person taking the meds. Most of the time, these side-effects are not listed in the packaging either.

Some of it may also come down to the dosages used, since a number of people seem to be put on an extraordinarily high dose...in the UK we may see 5mg-10mg of a med being used (for adults) whereas in the USA it seems to be 30mg-40mg dosage of the same med (that's just one particular med I checked up on) and for children not even fully grown adults, at times, which I don't understand, especially when the person is new to the med as well.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Teens should hardly EVER be on antidepressants. There are thousands of cases of teens becoming more depressed/suicidal after taking antidepressants. A counselor should focus on counseling and helping someone understand and take control of their emotions.

Antidepressants are amazing things and have their place, and there are also new developments in meds that will hopefully take care of the issues teens seem to have with them, but it's not a risk I'd take unless it was absolutely necesary.

Watch his diet as well. Poor dietary habits have been linked to depression, especially in teens.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Sorry to hear about that, Mike.

Knowing people for whom meds have worked, and people for whom they haven't... I'd say that it's complicated, and very much case by case.

There is perhaps some danger in the moderately popular PoV that "psych meds" are always a terrible thing, as well as considerable danger in over-prescribing (not to mention misdiagnosing, etc.) as noted upthread.

I would hesitate to offer any advice, without knowing a heck of a lot more. And even then, my best advice would probably still be, to try and find a competent and ethical doctor. Having a good GP is a great start, IMO - and often, he or she will have contacts of quality that might prove useful for some clients, sometimes. Not just a good psych either, necessarily.

Of course, getting to the crux of the matter is important. I wish I could say that is always easy, or simple. Regardless, I hope it is in his case, and that what is needed, can happen.

Last edited by Dray; 12-16-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Dray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
KCStrongmanben
TEAM MAB
Max Brawn
Points: 3,270, Level: 35 Points: 3,270, Level: 35 Points: 3,270, Level: 35
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 20
Fav Supp: Pizza
KCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributor

Good for you for getting the help they need. I was depressed and ou in meds and I actually felt worse. Unmotivated, emotional, weight gain. It was bad. I did some research on natural alternatives like St Johns Wort and started that. I feel for even keeled and haven't looked back
Muscle and Brawn
KCStrongmanben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
KCStrongmanben
TEAM MAB
Max Brawn
Points: 3,270, Level: 35 Points: 3,270, Level: 35 Points: 3,270, Level: 35
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 20
Fav Supp: Pizza
KCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributor

Put on*
Muscle and Brawn
KCStrongmanben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #10
1morerep
Max Brawn
Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast

Is there any way that he may enjoy lifting or doing some type of MMA. May be he will enjoy spend some fun time out there with other people rather than with family. I know I do. Not trying to diagnose...just trying to give a possible option.

540/385/515 (previous meet)

http://www.metalmilitia-va.com/

Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go!!!

1MOREREP 2014
1morerep is offline   Reply With Quote