Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   kman's new routine???? (i dont actually have one yet?) (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1540)

kman025 12-20-2009 07:22 PM

kman's new routine???? (i dont actually have one yet?)

I think i will do a 3day FBW

i found this calculator: Powerlifting Heads-Up i was thinking of using this for my deadlift and bench progression.since squat is so low i will use 3x5

i was thinking about upping the volume, since im only lifting 3 days a week.

1 day a week (most weeks, some 0) i will lift wieghts in gym class on either mon or tues (forced to do this). this will dictate what days i workout.

Mond and wed (or tues and thurs) i will work out at the gym. where i have every piece of equipment imagineable.

Sat (at home) i have a bench (with incline), a barbell, unlimited wieght, unlimited dumbells.

Some exercises i'd like to include in program
-squat
-bench
-deadlift
-press
-CG bench
-compound row
-some sort of clean (preferably at home (saturday)
-pec dec (although i know it wont help strength)... has to be on mon or wed
-use of incl bench would be nice
-some form of curl

I will post up a program i will make next and you guys can edit it or just scrap it and make one (if you want to waste your time, i know you guys are busy and have lives)

kman025 12-20-2009 08:22 PM

routine... please critique

MONDAY
Bench-5x5 (following progression from calculator)
Front Squats- not sure how to format these
BB Row-3x5
Pec Dec-3x6-12 (6-12, becuase wieght increments are 20lbs)
Cable Curl-3x6-8

Wednesday
Squats-3x5
Press-3x5
Skull Crusher-2x6-10
Rear Delt Work- what should i do?
Grip machine thing-3x10-14

Sat (i realize this is mostly all back, is this bad?)
Deadlift-5x5
Incline- either DB or BB (what do you all think?)
Kroc DB Row-3x6-10
Close Grip Bench-3x5
BB curl-3x5
Wrist Curls-3x10-16

one day a week- STRONG MAN TYPE STUFF (JUST FOR FUN)
-db farmers walk
-sand bag cleans
-sandbag walk
-other shit

What are your thought, Critiques, Comments, Rants????
-is it too much volume?

jwood 12-20-2009 08:44 PM

I like the workout it looks pretty good to me, there is a lot of volume but you are young so I believe that you can handle it with no problem. I like to do front squats with a bit higher rep scheme so I would suggest somewhere from 8-12 reps and like 3 sets would be good.

Also, I think you have too much forearm if you are going to be doing strongman stuff consistently. For me, sandbags and farmers walk really tear up my forearms better than any other type of wrist curl or machine. If you think you need it then go for it, but I hate when sore forearms cause me to miss a lift. One other thing that is just my personal opinion I would substitute rear delt work with another compound row movement or pullups, I think you being a somewhat beginner lifter you do not need to target the rear delts yet.

Otherwise I think everything looks great, what are your plans for progression? 5 pounds each workout or something like that?

kman025 12-20-2009 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwood (Post 16094)
I like the workout it looks pretty good to me, there is a lot of volume but you are young so I believe that you can handle it with no problem. I like to do front squats with a bit higher rep scheme so I would suggest somewhere from 8-12 reps and like 3 sets would be good.

Also, I think you have too much forearm if you are going to be doing strongman stuff consistently. For me, sandbags and farmers walk really tear up my forearms better than any other type of wrist curl or machine. If you think you need it then go for it, but I hate when sore forearms cause me to miss a lift. One other thing that is just my personal opinion I would substitute rear delt work with another compound row movement or pullups, I think you being a somewhat beginner lifter you do not need to target the rear delts yet.

Otherwise I think everything looks great, what are your plans for progression? 5 pounds each workout or something like that?

-i havent used much volume so we'll have to see how i handle it:confused:
-i'll go with 3x8-12 on front squats
-the reason for all the forearm work is because this is the problem with my deadlift.... not sure if you checked out the link to that 5x5 calculator that im using for deadlift progression... it will have me lifting somewhat light wieght for a while, so my grip wont be worked hard there... idk ill see
-the reason for the rear delt work was because i had previously been told i needed it. it just seemed to me like im hitting front delts so hard i would need to balance it out. my concern with adding another compound movement is i already have a ton of volume.
-ill post my progression plan up in a minute-next post

kman025 12-20-2009 09:03 PM

progession plan

-on deadlifts and bench i will use this: Powerlifting Heads-Up as my progression guide.
-on all the 3x5 stuff add 5lbs (idealy each workout) or after all reps are met. when the progression on 3x5 slows a lot, i will start using the above calculator as my progression scheme.
-on all lifts with more than 5 reps wieght wil be added when all reps are met (at upper end of reps)

note
on some lifts i may drop work sets to 2 work sets on assistance moves

kman025 12-20-2009 09:44 PM

maybe add/replace with some speed trap bar deadlifts?????????

Bodybygamma 12-21-2009 01:35 AM

Seems solid. Rule of thumb for younger guys training. Don't over do the thinking and planing process, it is more important to establish a mind and muscle connection, and learn your body. Try the routine stick with it for at least 6-8 weeks and gauge how you feel, have a bad day consult your journal. Sometimes all the planning in the world won't help you get stronger as much as just lifting weight.

My advice on speed work, is add it in when you feel you need it, or when your too burnt out to lift heavy. Just make sure the bar feels light. Technique work and explosive power can be the limiting factor in your strength after a while, so just cycle everything accordingly.

jwood 12-21-2009 01:50 AM

My concern for your forearms was not the grip work itself more of the strongman stuff, with the sandbag you will be squeezing it so hard that it will wear on your forearms. But if you feel the need do it, because I have never been a fan of direct forearm work and never had any problems with grip on deadlift or anything else. I guess it works for some people.

Just my personal opinion, as a noob I do not really see a need for rear delt work but you can still do it, and on your Wednesday workout there is no back work. I really do not think you would have a problem doing another compound back movement like bodyweight pullups as far as overtraining goes.

Speed work could be done whenever you feel wore out or tired, or if you start to feel really slow. On your program you should do what you think is best and just feel out your body and watch your lifts. Keep a detailed journal and make notes about form, ease of the lift, progression and so on. The more notes you have the more you can critique your own program.

The best advice would be to get under the bar and try it!

BendtheBar 12-21-2009 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bodybygamma (Post 16115)
Seems solid. Rule of thumb for younger guys training. Don't over do the thinking and planing process, it is more important to establish a mind and muscle connection, and learn your body. Try the routine stick with it for at least 6-8 weeks and gauge how you feel, have a bad day consult your journal. Sometimes all the planning in the world won't help you get stronger as much as just lifting weight.

My advice on speed work, is add it in when you feel you need it, or when your too burnt out to lift heavy. Just make sure the bar feels light. Technique work and explosive power can be the limiting factor in your strength after a while, so just cycle everything accordingly.

This is rock solid advice.

BendtheBar 12-21-2009 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwood (Post 16117)
My concern for your forearms was not the grip work itself more of the strongman stuff, with the sandbag you will be squeezing it so hard that it will wear on your forearms. But if you feel the need do it, because I have never been a fan of direct forearm work and never had any problems with grip on deadlift or anything else. I guess it works for some people.

Just my personal opinion, as a noob I do not really see a need for rear delt work but you can still do it, and on your Wednesday workout there is no back work. I really do not think you would have a problem doing another compound back movement like bodyweight pullups as far as overtraining goes.

Speed work could be done whenever you feel wore out or tired, or if you start to feel really slow. On your program you should do what you think is best and just feel out your body and watch your lifts. Keep a detailed journal and make notes about form, ease of the lift, progression and so on. The more notes you have the more you can critique your own program.

The best advice would be to get under the bar and try it!

And this is solid advice.

Rear delt work - to me - is a waste. I honestly believe that deadlifts and rows do far more then reverse flyes will ever do. Regarding forearm work...my forearms are a rock solid 15.25 and I never do forearm work. And remember, I'm not genetically gifted either. I have small bones - 6.5" wrist or smaller.

If you have time in your routine after all the necessaries, then add in whatever else you want to do. Part of lifting is pleasure - obviously. But be cautious about adding in work that puts your big lifts under time pressure.