Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:05 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default MAB's Mission for 2010

Muscle and Brawn has a mission for 2010. MAB's mission is to do everything it can to attract beginning lifters to the website and forum.

One of the ways I will be doing this is by opening up a "noob" section in the forum. The noob section will have stickies with links to basic topics...

"How do I gain weight?"

"What routines are best for a beginner?"

"What is proper deadlift form?"

I encourage everyone to contribute to the new forum. Start a new thread on any consistently asked noob question. We will link to this thread from a sticky at the top of this forum, so that common questions/answers are made readily available to noobs.

Any questions or thoughts?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
nighttrain
Max Brawn
Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 20+
nighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beast

sounds like a great start to a kick ass year!!!
Old 12-19-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
One of the ways I will be doing this is by opening up a "noob" section in the forum. The noob section will have stickies with links to basic topics...

"How do I gain weight?"

"What routines are best for a beginner?"

"What is proper deadlift form?"

I encourage everyone to contribute to the new forum. Start a new thread on any consistently asked noob question. We will link to this thread from a sticky at the top of this forum, so that common questions/answers are made readily available to noobs.

Any questions or thoughts?
This is a nice idea, and I wish it would take off nicely. Although I dont want to be a spoilsport, BTB, consider this - most noobs, after lifting for a month, cease to consider themselves a noob. Evidence? Look no further than the "Workout Programs" section in bodybuilding.com.

what I fear is a number of posters (as has happened in bb.com) will not read the stickies (after all, stickies arent as sexed up as wxyz muscle mag, and unlike the musclemags wont preach 20 sets of concentration curl routines). Slowly, this will lead to a number of "rate my routine" threads, where the original posters will listen to only what they want to listen. In fact, this is one of the reasons why many good and experienced posters stopped posting in bb.com, except in the journal section and contest prep section.

The real challenge is how to get a noob accept that he is a noob, and then get him on track in the right direction. Luckily, one advantage MAB has over other sites is that MAB isnt out there to promote anything (supps, training programs) and so you can afford to regulate the quality of posting.

This is a very nice idea though; hope it will work out fine.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
This is a nice idea, and I wish it would take off nicely. Although I dont want to be a spoilsport, BTB, consider this - most noobs, after lifting for a month, cease to consider themselves a noob. Evidence? Look no further than the "Workout Programs" section in bodybuilding.com.

what I fear is a number of posters (as has happened in bb.com) will not read the stickies (after all, stickies arent as sexed up as wxyz muscle mag, and unlike the musclemags wont preach 20 sets of concentration curl routines). Slowly, this will lead to a number of "rate my routine" threads, where the original posters will listen to only what they want to listen. In fact, this is one of the reasons why many good and experienced posters stopped posting in bb.com, except in the journal section and contest prep section.

The real challenge is how to get a noob accept that he is a noob, and then get him on track in the right direction. Luckily, one advantage MAB has over other sites is that MAB isnt out there to promote anything (supps, training programs) and so you can afford to regulate the quality of posting.

This is a very nice idea though; hope it will work out fine.
personally i think this is a great idea, but i do agree that this can create problems, so you have to be diligent at regulating the quality of posters. Also one advantage here is that if a noob refuses our help we can beat him with a plate till he understands
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Well, I can say this...I work for another site that is swarmed with noobs. They are pure noobs, and much different from the breed at BB.com. I see dozens of "day 1" training questions each day.

They are out there. And they are looking for direction. I just want to make sure that we extend a hand. This forum has many experienced lifters, and I imagine, might be intimidating without a beginner section.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:05 PM   #6
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

I was once a noob, and in many ways still am. Count me in. I'll do what I can.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #7
onetiredkris
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

put a thread "how to get the most out of your BSN products"
the noods will go through that one with a fine toothed comb
onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetiredkris View Post
put a thread "how to get the most out of your BSN products"
the noods will go through that one with a fine toothed comb
LOL, yeah...maybe I need to write some "hook" articles like that.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
I was once a noob, and in many ways still am. Count me in. I'll do what I can.
Just being here helps. Just glad you're logging here.

I put up a noob forum. Anyone can feel free to hop on and post threads about common noob questions. You don't even have to answer the question.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:37 PM   #10
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

If people are true noobs, it should be next to there rep count lol!
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote