Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   MAB's Mission for 2010 (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1528)

BendtheBar 12-19-2009 09:05 AM

MAB's Mission for 2010

Muscle and Brawn has a mission for 2010. MAB's mission is to do everything it can to attract beginning lifters to the website and forum.

One of the ways I will be doing this is by opening up a "noob" section in the forum. The noob section will have stickies with links to basic topics...

"How do I gain weight?"

"What routines are best for a beginner?"

"What is proper deadlift form?"

I encourage everyone to contribute to the new forum. Start a new thread on any consistently asked noob question. We will link to this thread from a sticky at the top of this forum, so that common questions/answers are made readily available to noobs.

Any questions or thoughts?

nighttrain 12-19-2009 11:57 AM

sounds like a great start to a kick ass year!!!

kitarpyar 12-19-2009 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 15947)
One of the ways I will be doing this is by opening up a "noob" section in the forum. The noob section will have stickies with links to basic topics...

"How do I gain weight?"

"What routines are best for a beginner?"

"What is proper deadlift form?"

I encourage everyone to contribute to the new forum. Start a new thread on any consistently asked noob question. We will link to this thread from a sticky at the top of this forum, so that common questions/answers are made readily available to noobs.

Any questions or thoughts?

This is a nice idea, and I wish it would take off nicely. Although I dont want to be a spoilsport, BTB, consider this - most noobs, after lifting for a month, cease to consider themselves a noob. Evidence? Look no further than the "Workout Programs" section in bodybuilding.com.

what I fear is a number of posters (as has happened in bb.com) will not read the stickies (after all, stickies arent as sexed up as wxyz muscle mag, and unlike the musclemags wont preach 20 sets of concentration curl routines). Slowly, this will lead to a number of "rate my routine" threads, where the original posters will listen to only what they want to listen. In fact, this is one of the reasons why many good and experienced posters stopped posting in bb.com, except in the journal section and contest prep section.

The real challenge is how to get a noob accept that he is a noob, and then get him on track in the right direction. Luckily, one advantage MAB has over other sites is that MAB isnt out there to promote anything (supps, training programs) and so you can afford to regulate the quality of posting.

This is a very nice idea though; hope it will work out fine.

Grim83 12-19-2009 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitarpyar (Post 15963)
This is a nice idea, and I wish it would take off nicely. Although I dont want to be a spoilsport, BTB, consider this - most noobs, after lifting for a month, cease to consider themselves a noob. Evidence? Look no further than the "Workout Programs" section in bodybuilding.com.

what I fear is a number of posters (as has happened in bb.com) will not read the stickies (after all, stickies arent as sexed up as wxyz muscle mag, and unlike the musclemags wont preach 20 sets of concentration curl routines). Slowly, this will lead to a number of "rate my routine" threads, where the original posters will listen to only what they want to listen. In fact, this is one of the reasons why many good and experienced posters stopped posting in bb.com, except in the journal section and contest prep section.

The real challenge is how to get a noob accept that he is a noob, and then get him on track in the right direction. Luckily, one advantage MAB has over other sites is that MAB isnt out there to promote anything (supps, training programs) and so you can afford to regulate the quality of posting.

This is a very nice idea though; hope it will work out fine.

personally i think this is a great idea, but i do agree that this can create problems, so you have to be diligent at regulating the quality of posters. Also one advantage here is that if a noob refuses our help we can beat him with a plate till he understands ;)

BendtheBar 12-19-2009 02:56 PM

Well, I can say this...I work for another site that is swarmed with noobs. They are pure noobs, and much different from the breed at BB.com. I see dozens of "day 1" training questions each day.

They are out there. And they are looking for direction. I just want to make sure that we extend a hand. This forum has many experienced lifters, and I imagine, might be intimidating without a beginner section.

big valsalva 12-19-2009 03:05 PM

I was once a noob, and in many ways still am. Count me in. I'll do what I can.

onetiredkris 12-19-2009 03:27 PM

put a thread "how to get the most out of your BSN products"
the noods will go through that one with a fine toothed comb

BendtheBar 12-19-2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onetiredkris (Post 15975)
put a thread "how to get the most out of your BSN products"
the noods will go through that one with a fine toothed comb

LOL, yeah...maybe I need to write some "hook" articles like that.

BendtheBar 12-19-2009 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big valsalva (Post 15973)
I was once a noob, and in many ways still am. Count me in. I'll do what I can.

Just being here helps. Just glad you're logging here.

I put up a noob forum. Anyone can feel free to hop on and post threads about common noob questions. You don't even have to answer the question.

Bodybygamma 12-19-2009 10:37 PM

If people are true noobs, it should be next to there rep count lol!