Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine
Default Get a bit of perspective...

I just thought I'd make a point about getting things in perspective and realising where you are already in relation to the rest of the world!!

I have been out of the gym for just over 2 years and I have lost a lot of size and strength. Now whether you are in the same situation, or are just starting out, or have been training a while and still feel small and weak compared to some of the guys/gals on here or that you see around. Just take a minute to realise where you are aklready, some people call it stopping to smell the roses.

A couple of years ago I had alright lifts (for my size) and had a reasonalble amount of mass (I was actually thinking at one point of perhaps doing a bb comp, natural of course), but even though i was told I was only a few lbs of muscle away from doing it I never felt BIG, and never felt STRONG.

I have just looked back on the form critique log to see some of my earlier lifts and although i wasnt massive by any stretch of the imagination I was definitely NOT as small and weak as I thought. In fact I would give my back teeth to be at that point now.

I think sometimes we can focus on where we WANT to be so much we lose sight of where we already are!

Dont get discouraged just because there are bigger and stronger people than you and dont talk yourselves down. Realise where you are, realise that compared to 99% of the population you are stronger, fitter whatever, just realise you are doing OK.

I have my goals and I know where I want to be (and where I have been int he past), but I also know now, that even after losing a considerable amount of size and strength that Im still doing OK...

Dont really know if there is a point the this thread, but just wanted to get it off my chest

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

I can completely relate to you. It's easy to know WHERE we want to be, and see where we are NOT, and that can be just as big of a killer(if not more) as it can be a motivator. Lifting, whatever- nothing happens overnight. A baby isn't conceived one night and pops out the next morning. Growth, development of skills, etc. all take time, but when you've already put in a little bit of time, you are better(at least in that one skill or thing) than everyone else who hasn't. The trick is to not grow complacent, but always be looking forward without unrealistic expectations.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
The_Big_Sleep
Epigenetically Gifted
Max Brawn
Points: 2,330, Level: 29 Points: 2,330, Level: 29 Points: 2,330, Level: 29
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
The_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
Dont really know if there is a point the this thread, but...
This is an awesome post Carl, there's absolutely a purpose for this thread

Team HALEO Rep
‡Echo in Eternity‡

http://www.haleo.com/

Like Us On Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/HaleoFB

•A mind too active is no mind at all•
The_Big_Sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Big_Sleep View Post
This is an awesome post Carl, there's absolutely a purpose for this thread
Cheers mate
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
Wesker
Brawn
Points: 428, Level: 8 Points: 428, Level: 8 Points: 428, Level: 8
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 9 months
Training Type: Get In Shape
Fav Exercise: Dumbbell Bench Press
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
Wesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good posts

That struck a cord with me. I've been lifting weights for 9 months and people comment on how strong I'm starting to look. Somehow I often find myself feeling weak and chubby. I'll stop and smell the roses!
Wesker is offline   Reply With Quote