Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Moving to Canada - Any advice? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15086)

JumpmanRugs 09-28-2013 12:56 PM

Moving to Canada - Any advice?

I'm from the UK, and my girlfriend and I would love to move to Canada.

Does anybody know of anything or anybody I can contact (Authorities, etc) or have any of you had any experience? I realise that the chances of somebody here moving from the UK to Canada are low, but just asking in case anybody had any information of a similar situation or anything of the sort?

Ideally it would be next summer!

Thanks in advance guys!

EliteDreams 09-28-2013 01:55 PM

Although I've never been to Canada, this is some serious advice that has a healthy dash of humor:

Bears. Don't fuck with em.

Its cold. Get used to heavy clothing.

Depending on how close you are to big city/rural areas, you get to experience big 4wd trucks!

And I do believe you can own rifles and shotguns. Have fun!

bigalfry 09-28-2013 02:09 PM

In in Canada. I don't know the immigration process but I do know about a half dozen Brits who managed to make their way over so I wouldn't say the chances are low. A couple of them don't even have citizenship. I could be wrong but I think it all hinges on your education and career.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

bigalfry 09-28-2013 02:14 PM

And EliteDreams is right. Don't fuck with the bears.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

BendtheBar 09-28-2013 05:32 PM

Squatter, Paradox, Gorship, Seventy Seven and NDR are all from Canada. I am hoping one of them could give you some advice.

J_Byrd 09-28-2013 07:25 PM

They think ham is bacon......be careful :D

Squatter 09-28-2013 10:00 PM

Haha guys! Indeed, there are Polar Bears and Grizzly Bears. I have seen a Grizz in the wild and man, what a majestic beast - similar to JB.

I do not know anything about immigration, but if I can help in anyway let me know. I live in Western Canada, which is really where you want to be in this country. You simply cannot help but find a job - Alberta has the strongest economy and no Provincial Sales Tax - the only province in Canada.

Winters are actually mild here. We are close to the Okanagan in British Columbia - which has summers as nice as anywhere in the world.

Canada is a great country loaded with opportunities for anyone. Being as we are both members of the Commonwealth, I would hope it would be easier for Brits to move here. My wife works with one of them!!

BravenFenix 09-29-2013 03:31 AM

I really don't like Micheal Moore and the way he does his stupid documentaries, but every single house they randomly went and turned the door knob was left unlocked. There was another documentary by someone else that the same commentary was made about Canadians leaving their doors unlocked. Whether it's true or not, I'd lock your doors, even if your neighbors don't.

Tannhauser 09-29-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JumpmanRugs (Post 411527)
I'm from the UK, and my girlfriend and I would love to move to Canada.

No advice I'm afraid, but just to say good luck with it.

I've been interested in everything about Canada since I was a kid. When I finally got there, I wasn't disappointed. British Columbia's one of the coolest places I've ever been. The scenery, the people, the self-deprecating humour...

And for a small population, they've produced a bumper crop of either stellar or at least interesting musicians: Joni Mitchell, Gordon Lightfoot, April Wine, Max Webster/Kim Mitchell, Gordon Lightfoot, Glenn Gould, Oscar Peterson, Rush, Crash Test Dummies, Neil Young, Pat Travers....the list goes on and on.

themaster2981 09-29-2013 10:39 AM

http://40acresandacubicle.files.word...nada_large.jpg