Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board > Introduce Yourself
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Introduce Yourself Introduce Yourself to the Muscle and Brawn Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #2131
rageX
Points: 58, Level: 1 Points: 58, Level: 1 Points: 58, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

rageX is off to a bad start

Hey gang name is Ragex, or you can call me Tim. I have been lifting for a while now, and really enjoy it.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #2132
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageX View Post
Hey gang name is Ragex, or you can call me Tim. I have been lifting for a while now, and really enjoy it.
Hi Tim
Old 05-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #2133
Transformed
Brawn
Points: 452, Level: 9 Points: 452, Level: 9 Points: 452, Level: 9
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Transformed is off to a good startTransformed is off to a good startTransformed is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageX View Post
Nice to see you join on here Tim.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:00 PM   #2134
statirasman
New Brawn
Points: 1,601, Level: 23 Points: 1,601, Level: 23 Points: 1,601, Level: 23

Training Exp: 1 Year off and on
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Heavy weights.
statirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good posts
Default Intro

Hello I'm Brent, aka statirasman,

I am 35 yrs old, 6ft 4 in and have only been training for about a year. I recently ETSd from the US Army after 7 1/2 years and 3 combat deployments. During my last deployment I saw an advertisement for a powerlifting competition to take place right before my return home so I saw it as an opportunity to get in shape for my reunion with the wife. It was scheduled about 6 months away so I figured it would be plenty of time to get strong. Once I began training I was hooked. Like Steve's beginnings I would struggle with reletively light weight. Being about 200lbs of body weight and being in the army doing PT every day i was humbled when 135 on the bench nearly crushed me. I couldn't come close to squatting my body weight, and I hurt my lower back the first time I tried to deadlift more then the bar. I went online and started watching every instructional video I could find on form and got ahold of the Wendler 5-3-1 program and began to see my lifts getting stronger and stronger. My body began changing and people were asking me what steroids I was on and where they could get some too. When August and the Competition rolled around I squatted 315 easy, benched 275, and deadlifted 500lbs which was 60 lbs more then I could ever do in the gym. I was hooked.

I returned home and life took me away from the gym but now I'm back trying to get my lifts up to where they were and beyond with the support of my wife and 3 boys. I joined Scott Warman's gym here in El Paso, TX and think I'm heading in the right direction.

I look forward to talking to and reading all the advise and everything that you all have to say about lifting.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:24 AM   #2135
IronWill
Max Brawn
Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
IronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beast

Welcome Brent!
Old 06-01-2012, 07:26 AM   #2136
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Welcome to the forum Brent. Particularly enjoyed this:

Quote:
My body began changing and people were asking me what steroids I was on and where they could get some too.
A great sign you were doing the right things. I had the same questions asked at about the 275 bench and 315 squat level.

Would like to learn more about your story, and particularly your eating at the time of your gains.

Make yourself at home, and by the way - great deadlift!

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Old 06-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #2137
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Hi Brent
Old 06-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #2138
statirasman
New Brawn
Points: 1,601, Level: 23 Points: 1,601, Level: 23 Points: 1,601, Level: 23

Training Exp: 1 Year off and on
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Heavy weights.
statirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good posts

In response to your response,

Quote:
A great sign you were doing the right things. I had the same questions asked at about the 275 bench and 315 squat level.
I think my biggest difficulty with these two lifts was my form, as I said I looked at and studied videos online but without others watching to make on the spot corrections while I was training my form still needed ALOT of work. Please feel free to ask any questions you have.

Quote:
Would like to learn more about your story, and particularly your eating at the time of your gains.
Good ol' Army DFAC chow. As I said I was deployed, The gym was right next door to the DFAC so I would train and then immediately go to chow. Drank alot of chocolate milk with every meal, boiled eggs about 6 with breakfast, tried to stick with anything with alot of protein and carbs.

Always had a pre workout NO drink, creatine, glutamine, multi vitamin, vitamin D and Calcium, and a protein shake of about 50 grams pre workout and before bed (wish I could have been sponsored to pay for all that protein). It was fairly easy to stay dedicated to my diet when others were cooking for me and we had set times to eat. I went from an unhealthy 200 lbs up to 258 and then as I started burning the fat away I steadied out at about 233 for about a month leading up to the competition. Once I got back I dropped to about 210 and have slowly been putting it back on. Diet is really hard to dedicate to with the family and other time consumers plus all the cooking. I wish I could afford to hire a cook.

My deadlift is coming along good now that I'm training again (455 x 5 followed by a 475 single after about 5 min rest) Squat and bench still need alot of work. Doing alot of Hams, lower back, and tri's. Reverse hyper and dips, dips, and more dips. I look forward to getting my lifts up to the point that I will feel comfortable competing.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #2139
Jesda
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,839, Level: 25 Points: 1,839, Level: 25 Points: 1,839, Level: 25
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Jesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by statirasman View Post
Hello I'm Brent, aka statirasman,

I am 35 yrs old, 6ft 4 in and have only been training for about a year. I recently ETSd from the US Army after 7 1/2 years and 3 combat deployments. During my last deployment I saw an advertisement for a powerlifting competition to take place right before my return home so I saw it as an opportunity to get in shape for my reunion with the wife. It was scheduled about 6 months away so I figured it would be plenty of time to get strong. Once I began training I was hooked. Like Steve's beginnings I would struggle with reletively light weight. Being about 200lbs of body weight and being in the army doing PT every day i was humbled when 135 on the bench nearly crushed me. I couldn't come close to squatting my body weight, and I hurt my lower back the first time I tried to deadlift more then the bar. I went online and started watching every instructional video I could find on form and got ahold of the Wendler 5-3-1 program and began to see my lifts getting stronger and stronger. My body began changing and people were asking me what steroids I was on and where they could get some too. When August and the Competition rolled around I squatted 315 easy, benched 275, and deadlifted 500lbs which was 60 lbs more then I could ever do in the gym. I was hooked.

I returned home and life took me away from the gym but now I'm back trying to get my lifts up to where they were and beyond with the support of my wife and 3 boys. I joined Scott Warman's gym here in El Paso, TX and think I'm heading in the right direction.

I look forward to talking to and reading all the advise and everything that you all have to say about lifting.
Nice to see you on here Brent.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #2140
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by statirasman View Post
I think my biggest difficulty with these two lifts was my form, as I said I looked at and studied videos online but without others watching to make on the spot corrections while I was training my form still needed ALOT of work. Please feel free to ask any questions you have.
At least you were focused on form. Most people aren't. They assume it's ok.

Quote:
Good ol' Army DFAC chow. As I said I was deployed, The gym was right next door to the DFAC so I would train and then immediately go to chow. Drank alot of chocolate milk with every meal, boiled eggs about 6 with breakfast, tried to stick with anything with alot of protein and carbs.
Unit supply here. Was stationed next the the cooks at Ft. Lee. Always had goo grub.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Closed Thread