Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board > Introduce Yourself
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Introduce Yourself Introduce Yourself to the Muscle and Brawn Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 08:27 AM   #1651
JTurner
Max Brawn
Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 2+ Years
Fav Exercise: BTNPP
Fav Supp: Beef
JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
welcome JT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Welcome to the forum JT. Hope you will consider starting up a training log, and making yourself at home.

Looking forward to seeing you smash your goals and then some.
Thank you both.

I'll hopefully put a log up in the next week, still some goals to hit before 2012!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #1652
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

hi all,

another noob here ,
stumbled upon this place when researching wendlers 5/3/1 , looks like a great place so far...

looking forward to picking up some great hints and tips

now im off to set up a log!
Old 11-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #1653
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markievicz View Post
hi all,

another noob here ,
stumbled upon this place when researching wendlers 5/3/1 , looks like a great place so far...

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to learning more about you and your training.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Old 11-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #1654
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markievicz View Post
hi all,

another noob here ,

welcome
Old 11-08-2011, 11:45 PM   #1655
Excel
New Brawn
Points: 1,733, Level: 24 Points: 1,733, Level: 24 Points: 1,733, Level: 24

Excel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good posts

Hi folks,

50-year male, en route to a new healthy and fit life. Looking forward to learning. Much appreciate the realistic focus of this site, as clearly influenced by BendtheBar's scientific background.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:39 AM   #1656
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excel View Post
Hi folks,

50-year male, en route to a new healthy and fit life. Looking forward to learning. Much appreciate the realistic focus of this site, as clearly influenced by BendtheBar's scientific background.
Welcome to MAB and enjoy your stay!
Old 11-09-2011, 02:26 AM   #1657
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

Quote:
Hi folks,

Welcome along, I am new here also. Its a great place to learn , with a lot of knowledgable people more than willing to help. Looking forwarf to seeing you start up a new log
Old 11-09-2011, 08:56 AM   #1658
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Hi folks,

Welcome to the forum Excel. We have quite a few geezers here (people over 40), and always good to welcome another on board.

Looking forward to learning more about you and your training.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #1659
Excel
New Brawn
Points: 1,733, Level: 24 Points: 1,733, Level: 24 Points: 1,733, Level: 24

Excel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Welcome to the forum Excel. We have quite a few geezers here (people over 40), and always good to welcome another on board.

Looking forward to learning more about you and your training.
Basically a life of sedentary work and battling "the bulge", have gradually overcome various health issues and am on an upslope again. Knee injury about a decade ago derailed my daily 4 mile runs; put on a lot of weight. Have hit roadblock after roadblock but determination wins out. On 3x/wk training, recently got to 'intermediate' on the Rippetoe/Kilgore strength chart in about a year. At the moment, backing off lifting in favor of bodyweight exercise for shoulder rehab; will resume heavier training when I've established a more solid foundation.

The long pushback against illness/injury, plus my unathletic childhood, neatly masks any issues of what you call 'geezerhood' since for me it's been an extended physical rehab -- and I have set new lifelong PRs. In fact I pointedly ignore societal preconceptions of what older athletes can achieve. Never forget Roger Bannister and the 4-minute mile: no one thought it possible until he broke the record, then it was broken again in fairly quick succession by others. This makes all the difference in the world, as your concept of "what is possible" powers or negates your motivation and performance in the weightroom, and can lead to self-fulfilling prophecies of limitation (it starts with thought, not pushing hard enough, then a few workouts at less than what was possible create "evidence" in memory for a belief that wasn't true). Whatever limits exist should be defined by physics, not by preconceptions.

I particularly enjoyed your recent thread here on athletic 50 year olds performing as well as 20 year olds...

Always on the lookout for better understanding of applied physiology (training protocols, and why/how they work). It can suggest how to fix stuff that isn't working, and how to improve stuff that is. Looking forward to learning a lot here, and thanks to all for the kind reception!

Last edited by Excel; 11-09-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #1660
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Have hit roadblock after roadblock but determination wins out. On 3x/wk training, recently got to 'intermediate' on the Rippetoe/Kilgore strength chart in about a year. At the moment, backing off lifting in favor of bodyweight exercise for shoulder rehab; will resume heavier training when I've established a more solid foundation.
I face some shoulder issues from a couple decades of poor bench form. I started using a device called a Sling Shot which really helps with shoulder support on benches, but overhead presses can be more challenging.

Quote:
The long pushback against illness/injury, plus my unathletic childhood, neatly masks any issues of what you call 'geezerhood' since for me it's been an extended physical rehab -- and I have set new lifelong PRs. In fact I pointedly ignore societal preconceptions of what older athletes can achieve. Never forget Roger Bannister and the 4-minute mile: no one thought it possible until he broke the record, then it was broken again in fairly quick succession by others. This makes all the difference in the world, as your concept of "what is possible" powers or negates your motivation and performance in the weightroom, and can lead to self-fulfilling prophecies of limitation (it starts with thought, not pushing hard enough, then a few workouts at less than what was possible create "evidence" in memory for a belief that wasn't true). Whatever limits exist should be defined by physics, not by preconceptions.

I particularly enjoyed your recent thread here on athletic 50 year olds performing as well as 20 year olds...

Always on the lookout for better understanding of applied physiology (training protocols, and why/how they work). It can suggest how to fix stuff that isn't working, and how to improve stuff that is. Looking forward to learning a lot here, and thanks to all for the kind reception!
Again, glad to have you here. All good programs start with balance and simplicity, and it sounds like you have a good grasp of how important that is.

I never thought that I would be approaching 45 and feeling stronger than ever. It's amazing what we can do if we listen to our own body.

Closed Thread