Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board > Introduce Yourself
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Introduce Yourself Introduce Yourself to the Muscle and Brawn Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #1041
.D.
Banned
New Brawn
Points: 116, Level: 2 Points: 116, Level: 2 Points: 116, Level: 2
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Seated Military Press
.D. is off to a good start.D. is off to a good start.D. is off to a good start.D. is off to a good start.D. is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
Welcome to the forum .D.

Scotland really is a beautiful part of the world. 5kgLifter on the forum lives in Orkney i think

Carl.
Thank you Carl. I feel like I'm hooked to the forum already! lol

I've got a lot of connections up the north end of Scotland, I see you're in Wales. Very similar to Scotland in scenery, culture & lifestyle.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #1042
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by .D. View Post
Thank you Carl. I feel like I'm hooked to the forum already! lol

I've got a lot of connections up the north end of Scotland, I see you're in Wales. Very similar to Scotland in scenery, culture & lifestyle.
Yeh its a nice part of the world and the Scotland-Wales rugby matches are always good fun, whether up there or down here

Im from the West Midlands originally though, a real shit hole !!!

Carl.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #1043
mstott25
New Brawn
Points: 312, Level: 6 Points: 312, Level: 6 Points: 312, Level: 6
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: <1 year
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Kre-Alkalyn EFX
mstott25 is off to a bad start

Hey everybody, my name's Micah. I found this website after lurking on internet forums for quite a while and this was a community I thought I would like to be a part of. Of all the places on the internet I've checked out, this is the one place where I've found a group of like minded individuals who can help me reach my goals and provide me valuable feedback. I'll give you some information about my short strength training history below, but it might get wordy so feel free to skip it! I included a couple of pics, first one is from July after about seven weeks of Starting Strength and the second one is from Late September/Early October after about 10 weeks of Crossfit.

Current stats: 6'2, 209lbs(this morning on the bathroom scale), 31 years old

I started working out seriously March of 2010. I was in the Army for seven years so always had some sort of "workout" but never really spent much time in the gym other than a few months strung together here and there. I got out of the Army and decided I needed to start working out for myself and have been researching, experimenting and lifting since then.

I began with some workouts from guys like Alwyn Cosgrove and Jason Ferruggia for the first 8 weeks and somewhere along the way heard of Mark Rippetoe and began Starting Strength in May of 2009. I quit that because I was applying with the FBI and had to take the physical fitness test mid-July and didn't do so well on the long distance run, I felt like my endurance was lacking so I started doing crossfit and fasting 2x a week (Brad Pilon - Eat Stop Eat). I was in better shape for the fitness test after following crossfit and fasting until mid-September but then went to see how much I could lift and realized I lost nearly all my strength! This ruined Crossfit for me so I decided I'd go back to weights.

I changed job locations and started going to the gym with a group of guys I work with, all big and strong, and followed their workouts with them for about six or seven weeks. They were doing bodypart splits (Mon:Back, Tue:Chest etc) and after those weeks I didn't feel like I got any stronger nor could I see any change in my physique other than that it looked like i was getting fatter (I wasn't watching my diet at all).

So mid-November I began Starting Strength again...got my lifts a little bit past what they were before and right now I'm looking to slightly change things up. I've been reading a lot of McRoberts (Beyond Brawn, just ordered his Lose Fat Build Muscle book) and most recently Casey Butt.

I don't really know what my next workout is going to look like, but it's probably going to be a combination of something I pick up from them. I loved Starting Strength and got great results but something McRoberts said and I want to try and implement is not going over 15% bodyfat while still getting bigger and stronger. I'd much rather meet my goals in 2-3 years and stay below 15% bodyfat the whole time.

I don't really have any idea what my max lifts are on anything as I have always pretty much kept to Rippetoe's 3x5 work set patterns, but I'll list here what I was lifting in May of 2009 compared to what I'm lifting now and I'll start a training log here as well.

May 2009 (began Starting Strength)
Squat - 165x5
Deadlift - 165x5
Bench Press - 135x5
Press - 80x5

This week:
Squat - 280x5
Deadlift - 315x5
Bench Press - 190x5
Press - 120x5

Looking forward to getting to know (and learn from) a lot of you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	July.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	2398   Click image for larger version

Name:	October.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	2399  
Old 01-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #1044
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Welcome MS. Great bunch of people here. I know you will like it here.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #1045
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

welcome to the forum MS!

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
Old 01-07-2011, 01:05 PM   #1046
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Welcome to the forum Micah and great intro post. That picture of you holding a pumpkin looks like it could have been taken in my neck of the woods - if you removed the mountains of course.

We keep it clean, hard and encouraging here. Hope you stick around, and looking forward to seeing you smash your goals in 2011.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Old 01-07-2011, 01:28 PM   #1047
AdamF
Brawn
Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Sheiko
Fav Exercise: Bench
AdamF is new to the forumAdamF is new to the forum

Hey guys I'm Adam. I am a lurker of 11ty billion forums but I have really started liking this on in particular. I hope to become a regular poster here.

I have been training on and off for the past year but due to training ADD kept program jumping and not really making solid gains. I feel that I may have about 4-6 months of actually productive training under my belt. I train in my basement and have a power rack, adj. bench, bar + 480ish lbs, sled, 20kg and 2x24kg kettlebells. I hope to start competing in PL at the end of this year or early next year. I finally found a program that seems to incorporate everything I have wanted to use into one well laid out program, look for my training log very soon (like in the next 5-10 min).

Stats:
20 years old
215lbs as of this morning
5'9

Squat 1rm: 345 (calculated)
Bench 1rm: 220
Deadlift 1rm: 405
Mil Press 1rm: 170 (calculated)

I am currently in community college working for an AA in exercise science. I am going to transfer to UMD College Park for Kinesiology in fall '12. My goal is to be a CSCS working for a team or in my own gym.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #1048
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamF View Post
Hey guys I'm Adam. I am a lurker of 11ty billion forums but I have really started liking this on in particular. I hope to become a regular poster here.

I have been training on and off for the past year but due to training ADD kept program jumping and not really making solid gains. I feel that I may have about 4-6 months of actually productive training under my belt. I train in my basement and have a power rack, adj. bench, bar + 480ish lbs, sled, 20kg and 2x24kg kettlebells. I hope to start competing in PL at the end of this year or early next year. I finally found a program that seems to incorporate everything I have wanted to use into one well laid out program, look for my training log very soon (like in the next 5-10 min).

Stats:
20 years old
215lbs as of this morning
5'9

Squat 1rm: 345 (calculated)
Bench 1rm: 220
Deadlift 1rm: 405
Mil Press 1rm: 170 (calculated)

I am currently in community college working for an AA in exercise science. I am going to transfer to UMD College Park for Kinesiology in fall '12. My goal is to be a CSCS working for a team or in my own gym.
Welcome to the forum Adam. Glad you decided to join our crew. Your setup sounds close to mine, although I am just starting to consider kettlebells for cardio on off days.

Lifts are looking strong!

Looking forward to learning more about your training.

Btw, my youngest daughter will love your avatar...

Old 01-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #1049
TheIronFork
Points: 35, Level: 1 Points: 35, Level: 1 Points: 35, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: BB Rows
TheIronFork is off to a bad start

Hey Everyone,

Looks like a great forum. Here's some info about me.

5'8"
175 pound natural bodybuilder
Competing in natural bodybuilding this 2011 season.

I'm not sure if any of you people on here have ever watched that Monsters Inside Me show, but I almost died from a parasitic infection back in April. I was about %9 bf at a body weight of 184 and left the hospital at 154. Also was the worst pain I've ever felt. Liver enzymes were off the charts and my body couldn't digest anything, even water was rejected by my body. It's been a real battle these last couple months as I have some side effects from the methods they used to get me well and also because my body just didn't want to add the kind of muscle it used to. It's a new year and I hope to have a breakout year and spread the word of natural bodybuilding through hard work and an aesthetically pleasing physique.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 01-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #1050
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronFork View Post
Hey Everyone,

Looks like a great forum. Here's some info about me.

5'8"
175 pound natural bodybuilder
Competing in natural bodybuilding this 2011 season.

I'm not sure if any of you people on here have ever watched that Monsters Inside Me show, but I almost died from a parasitic infection back in April. I was about %9 bf at a body weight of 184 and left the hospital at 154. Also was the worst pain I've ever felt. Liver enzymes were off the charts and my body couldn't digest anything, even water was rejected by my body. It's been a real battle these last couple months as I have some side effects from the methods they used to get me well and also because my body just didn't want to add the kind of muscle it used to. It's a new year and I hope to have a breakout year and spread the word of natural bodybuilding through hard work and an aesthetically pleasing physique.

Thanks,
Chris
Welcome to the forum. Quite a few competitive naturals on the site, and many of us looking to compete in 2011 for the first time including myself.

I have never seen that show/documentary but it sounds like you went through quite an intense battle.

You'll get nothing but encouragement here. We want to see you succeed and hit your goals and then some.

Looking forward to learning more about your training.

Closed Thread