Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #21
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStrong View Post
Not that I am interested in getting involved in a one religion versus another discussion but here is a little experiment:
Google the following terms:
Hindus kill Christians
Muslims kill Christians
and then ....
Christians kill Muslims
Christians kill Hindus

I will let the results speak for themselves.

Again, I am not claiming some Christians are not violent but I will bet money that there are more attcks on Christians than attacks by them in recent times.

But no worries, I did not forget the Crusades or the Inqusitions since I know they will come up. ( But they were more political than theological if you really study them.)
Here's another experiment. Google up the atrocities perpetrated by Christian missionaries during British/Portuguese rule in India. There will be plenty.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #22
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Anyway, I have no wish to turn this into a pointless religion A vs B, especially when I myself subscribe to none of these religions. And it is pointless as well.

I agree with you, SCStrong that persecution is very real, goes on in many places and is abhhorrent, no matter who the perpetrator, or against whom it is done.

But you bring up another point here, which would be interesting to discuss.

Quote:
But no worries, I did not forget the Crusades or the Inqusitions since I know they will come up. ( But they were more political than theological if you really study them.)
From my understanding of history (which is actually severely lacking), politics and theology have gone hand in hand.

During days of the Caliphate, Islam was often used as a political tool (indeed, it is still used widely as a political tool).

Centuries back, when the Hindu kingdoms were looking to expand in south east Asia, they used Hinduism as a political tool. Its prevalent even today with at least one of the political parties.

As the European powers set out on their global conquest, they tried to use Christianity as a tool. In the recent US elections Christian values have been talked about a lot.

I, for one, find it hard to believe that in the bigger scheme of affairs, one can separate politics from religion. It is also my observation that all the religious people who have the ability to do so are invariably sensible, peaceful folks.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #23
Bronco
Cool Guy
Brawn
Points: 1,448, Level: 21 Points: 1,448, Level: 21 Points: 1,448, Level: 21
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Quote:
Now that being said - Christians aint't innocent either - bad things have been done in the "name of " Christianity .......
here is all i know about the inquisition

Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #24
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Anyone have anything to say about the actual topic of the thread?
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #25
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Anyone have anything to say about the actual topic of the thread?
I think that was covered in one or two posts
Old 07-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #26
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
You say MOST Christians don't practice under fact but I'm a ten year old jerk who is asking for facts.

You've obviously generalized me as a jerk from a few internet posts.

Fyi I worked 3 years for a Christian company asking the same question as they relentlessly pressured
me with their belief. Not one of them to this day doubts my character or attacked me with juvenile words.

I meant no harm and am truly proud of people that are able to hold faith in such. Maybe I'm an abc guy and that's why I can't and have you ever considered that might be why you "condemn" me on this post for my lack of careful delivery?

Also, my opinion doesn't factor in radicals, like the Muslims that scstrong speaks of, that are killing the innocent.
I honestly did not see anyone calling you a jerk---- ( except you calling yourself that ) ??? Did I miss something ??

A question was asked- it lead to several discussions.... I have not noticed anyone calling ( or accussing anyone of being) any names or being mean.

If you are seeking answers - seek and ye shall find. I would recommend two books off the top of my head - Mere Christianity by CS Lewis and A Case for Christ by Lee Stroble .. If you are seeking answers about Christianity - these, will give you a place to start. Of course, The New Testament is the ultimate Christian book - I think translation is irrelevant ( King James versus NIV etc) some will / may disagree. Good luck in your quest and May God bless you.

I will be glad to discuss my beliefs if you would like but I will not argue religon with anyone. I enjoy debate - argument leads to strife. I try to avoid it.

PS
As far as being an "ABC guy "..... I am an engineer .... you do not get much more fact driven personallity, than that. Facts are great - but sometimes you also need a little faith.

Last edited by SCStrong; 07-24-2013 at 04:44 PM.
SCStrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #27
SCStrong
Max Brawn

SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
here is all i know about the inquisition

I love that movie HA HA
Old 07-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #28
SCStrong
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
Anyway, I have no wish to turn this into a pointless religion A vs B, especially when I myself subscribe to none of these religions. And it is pointless as well.

I agree with you, SCStrong that persecution is very real, goes on in many places and is abhhorrent, no matter who the perpetrator, or against whom it is done.

But you bring up another point here, which would be interesting to discuss.

From my understanding of history (which is actually severely lacking), politics and theology have gone hand in hand.

During days of the Caliphate, Islam was often used as a political tool (indeed, it is still used widely as a political tool).

Centuries back, when the Hindu kingdoms were looking to expand in south east Asia, they used Hinduism as a political tool. Its prevalent even today with at least one of the political parties.

As the European powers set out on their global conquest, they tried to use Christianity as a tool. In the recent US elections Christian values have been talked about a lot.

I, for one, find it hard to believe that in the bigger scheme of affairs, one can separate politics from religion. It is also my observation that all the religious people who have the ability to do so are invariably sensible, peaceful folks.
Great point.....
Old 07-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #29
JBrown
Brawn
Points: 2,060, Level: 27 Points: 2,060, Level: 27 Points: 2,060, Level: 27
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Powerlifting
JBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
I honestly did not see anyone calling you a jerk---- ( except you calling yourself that ) ??? Did I miss something ??

A question was asked- it lead to several discussions.... I have not noticed anyone calling ( or accussing anyone of being) any names or being mean.

If you are seeking answers - seek and ye shall find. I would recommend two books off the top of my head - Mere Christianity by CS Lewis and A Case for Christ by Lee Stroble .. If you are seeking answers about Christianity - these, will give you a place to start. Of course, The New Testament is the ultimate Christian book - I think translation is irrelevant ( King James versus NIV etc) some will / may disagree. Good luck in your quest and May God bless you.

I will be glad to discuss my beliefs if you would like but I will not argue religon with anyone. I enjoy debate - argument leads to strife. I try to avoid it.

PS
As far as being an "ABC guy "..... I am an engineer .... you do not get much more fact driven personallity, than that. Facts are great - but sometimes you also need a little faith.

Thanks for your genuine effort, and not getting all offended by my apparently ignorant question and supposed insulting of ones religion by asking for facts. Honestly I never knew that was a no-no. No one directly called me a 10 year old jerk who knows it all. However when its implied its just as hurtful. Go back and read bendthebars response to saying Christians are touchy. I might be abc but can still read between the lines

Also after further Googling I don't think I was creating a generalization, of my own. Check for yourself, there is pages a mile long of people whos opinions and experiences shadow mine. I certainly think I wasn't too out of line on this forum, especially when people are allowed to say women are the biggest waste of time on this planet and couple that remark with practice hatred for women:/

I don't like to live in the past, but we should all be playing by the same rules. Just keepin it real.
JBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #30
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
No one directly called me a 10 year old jerk who knows it all. However when its implied its just as hurtful..
That wasn't directed at you. I tried to make that point apparent.

That was a general comment on Internet bullying.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote