Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
That's my point. Christians, moreso, than others have tendency to get touchy when they're questioned.
That's a very weak generalization. They are often the ones most confronted by Internet religious bullies, so of course it would appear they are touchy.

Simply not the case for most Christians I know. I know most recoil when attacked by pretenious know-it-alls. Most of us do as human beings over any of our beliefs.

Just because folks disagree and think they have a better belief doesn't give them a right to be an asshole. Who doesn't recoil when confronted by a jerk?

I've seen the internet battles. I studied World Religions as a minor in college and spent a good deal of time on various spiritual and religious boards. There is a certain segment of folks who get off on mocking Christians. It's fairly sad. What good does that accomplish? It certainly isn't intelligent and respectful conversation.

Most Christians don't believe based on science. Like it or hate it, that's reality. They have a faith and you're trying to ask them for an equation. Expecting an equation from them is acceptable, but being a dick about it isn't.

I personally don't care what anyone thinks, as long as it's bringing more love into the world and less mean-spirited confrontation. But a fair-sized share of folks asking equations and proof from Christians on the Internet act like 10 year old kids and show little respect.

Like I said, I understand the mind's need for proof. I respect it. But being right, or thinking you're right, never gives you the right to think you're better than another person.

If we want to weigh moral and ethical value, it goes much deeper than a person's religious beliefs. It can be found in the things they do and say. That's all the proof I care about.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 07-24-2013 at 12:15 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #12
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
That's my point. Christians, moreso, than others have tendency to get touchy when they're questioned.
Have you ever spent any time in a Muslim nation ?..... I have.

Don't lump together or attack all Christians as they are typically the most tolerant of the worlds religions. Christ taught us peace - Not all follow it, but it is the basis of the belief system.

Try questioning Islam in the KSA or Iran - tell me how that turns out.

For that matter - try questioning some Hindu beliefs in certain countries.

I am not anti any one I believe that Christ is the savior of mankind and a alot of that belief is based on faith alone - other parts are based on solid science, historical, and arhcelogical facts BUT you are free to believe (or not) as you see fit.

I have three directives per Jesus:

Love the Lord, my God with all my heart and soul.
Love my neighbor as myself.
Go forth and share the good news with all the nations -

(He said I was responible for sharing it- not forcing anyone to believe it. )
Old 07-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #13
JBrown
Brawn
Points: 2,060, Level: 27 Points: 2,060, Level: 27 Points: 2,060, Level: 27
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Powerlifting
JBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributor

You say MOST Christians don't practice under fact but I'm a ten year old jerk who is asking for facts.

You've obviously generalized me as a jerk from a few internet posts.

Fyi I worked 3 years for a Christian company asking the same question as they relentlessly pressured
me with their belief. Not one of them to this day doubts my character or attacked me with juvenile words.

I meant no harm and am truly proud of people that are able to hold faith in such. Maybe I'm an abc guy and that's why I can't and have you ever considered that might be why you "condemn" me on this post for my lack of careful delivery?

Also, my opinion doesn't factor in radicals, like the Muslims that scstrong speaks of, that are killing the innocent.

Last edited by JBrown; 07-24-2013 at 12:37 PM.
JBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
JBrown
Brawn
Points: 2,060, Level: 27 Points: 2,060, Level: 27 Points: 2,060, Level: 27
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Powerlifting
JBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStrong View Post
Have you ever spent any time in a Muslim nation ?..... I have.

Don't lump together or attack all Christians as they are typically the most tolerant of the worlds religions. Christ taught us peace - Not all follow it, but it is the basis of the belief system.

I am not anti any one I believe that Christ is the savior of mankind and a alot of that belief is based on faith alone - other parts are based on solid science, historical, and arhcelogical facts BUT you are free to believe (or not) as you see fit.

I have three directives per Jesus:

Love the Lord, my God with all my heart and soul.
Love my neighbor as myself.
Go forth and share the good news with all the nations -

(He said I was responible for sharing it- not forcing anyone to believe it. )
See, this is what I've always been told by Christians with tolerance but havent really been feed many words. Maybe it was from a lack of time, to sit down.

Again, I meant nothing by my original question. I sincerely believe love and faith and integrity are all people have. I've found faith in the universe but I'm envious of faith that people have in their religion. That's something at 38 years old have been trying to find. I was merely throwing the question out to hopefully learn something. I've never asked that to strangers and in person nobody has ever become so defensive, not you Scstrong.
JBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #15
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
If we want to weigh moral and ethical value, and goes much deeper than a person's religious beliefs. It can be found in the things they do and say. That's all the proof I care about.
Very well put "Oh Wise Bearded One". I see many great people from many different religions. I also see horrible people doing horrible things in the name of their religion. In the end it really comes down to what you believe, what type of person you choose to be, and how you choose to live your life.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #16
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Don't lump together or attack all Christians

I absolutely agree with you on not lumping or attacking all Christians together.

But, here's the issue exactly. You dislike it when generalizations are applied to you or your religion. Yet, you seem to do the same for other religions. The reason I say "seem" is because that's how your comment comes out as, which may not have been how you intended it to be.

Not ALL Muslims are out to kill / hurt / defame people questioning Islamic faith.

Not ALL Hindus are out to kill / hurt / defame people questioning Hindu faith.

I have not lived in any Islamic state, so I have nothing to say regarding your comment on Iran or KSA.

I have lived most of my live in a country that's primarily Hindu (although constitutionally secular). And I have questioned Hindu faiths there - repeatedly. Questioned regular folks and Hindu religious preachers. Some have responded with respect, and some have been irritated - no different from what has happened when I question Christian faith.

Not ALL religious people are violent, but it is a sad matter of fact that there's enough lunatics in every religion who are. Every religion. I repeat, every religion.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #17
kitarpyar
Max Brawn

kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Most Christians don't believe based on science. Like it or hate it, that's reality. They have a faith and you're trying to ask them for an equation. Expecting an equation from them is acceptable, but being a dick about it isn't.
A large body of scientific work that we trust so much came about much later after the major religions appear. I wouldn't even want to tie science with religion or expect scientific explanations from any religion.

Here's a video where Father George Coyne discusses this beautifully. But I think he nailed it perfectly.

Quote:
If we want to weigh moral and ethical value, and goes much deeper than a person's religious beliefs. It can be found in the things they do and say. That's all the proof I care about.
Absolutely agree.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #18
SCStrong
Max Brawn

SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
I absolutely agree with you on not lumping or attacking all Christians together.

But, here's the issue exactly. You dislike it when generalizations are applied to you or your religion. Yet, you seem to do the same for other religions. The reason I say "seem" is because that's how your comment comes out as, which may not have been how you intended it to be.

Not ALL Muslims are out to kill / hurt / defame people questioning Islamic faith.

Not ALL Hindus are out to kill / hurt / defame people questioning Hindu faith.

I have not lived in any Islamic state, so I have nothing to say regarding your comment on Iran or KSA.

I have lived most of my live in a country that's primarily Hindu (although constitutionally secular). And I have questioned Hindu faiths there - repeatedly. Questioned regular folks and Hindu religious preachers. Some have responded with respect, and some have been irritated - no different from what has happened when I question Christian faith.

Not ALL religious people are violent, but it is a sad matter of fact that there's enough lunatics in every religion who are. Every religion. I repeat, every religion.
I think you mis understood or did not read my post - i was NOT lumping all o f anything, together. as a matter of fact, I made a point of not doing that . I even
went on to say that I have no issues with any paticular faith system.

I have lived and worked alllover the world and trust me there are certain countries ( or areas, if you will) that questioning the acceprted faith can get you killed.

AND since we are on the subject -

Historically, within the last one hundred years I m fairly sure that Judeo / Christian faiths has been persucuted more than any other.

Now that being said - Christians aint't innocent either - bad things have been done in the "name of " Christianity ....... people are bad - that is a sad fact and often, they use beliefs to support adgendas and as such, violence. In recent times it seems as though violence towards Christians seems to be more the "norm" than violence by Christians.

Example: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008...anity-hinduism

Last edited by SCStrong; 07-24-2013 at 10:17 AM.
SCStrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #19
SCStrong
Max Brawn

Not that I am interested in getting involved in a one religion versus another discussion but here is a little experiment:
Google the following terms:
Hindus kill Christians
Muslims kill Christians
and then ....
Christians kill Muslims
Christians kill Hindus

I will let the results speak for themselves.

Again, I am not claiming some Christians are not violent but I will bet money that there are more attcks on Christians than attacks by them in recent times.

But no worries, I did not forget the Crusades or the Inqusitions since I know they will come up. ( But they were more political than theological if you really study them.)
Old 07-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #20
kitarpyar
Max Brawn

Quote:
Historically, within the last one hundred years I m fairly sure that Judeo / Christian faiths has been persucuted more than any other.
I absolutely agree that Judeo/Christian faiths have been persecuted (same holds true of other religions too).

Quote:
Now that being said - Christians aint't innocent either - bad things have been done in the "name of " Christianity ....... people are bad - that is a sad fact and often, they use beliefs to support adgendas and as such, violence. In recent times it seems as though violence towards Christians seems to be more the "norm" than violence by Christians.

Example: Convert or we will kill you, Hindu lynch mobs tell fleeing Christians | World news | The Observer
Unfortunately, these incidents are not isolated incident either. And they are utterly heinous and should not be tolerated. Similar violence has also been carried out by Christian separatist groups against Hindus, in a Hindu majority country. They dont get as widely reported in the Western media, but they are not as rare as you would think.

Example: rediff.com: Tribals unite against conversions in Tripura

As you so aptly put it, some people are bad. And that is the sad reality.

Quote:
But no worries, I did not forget the Crusades or the Inqusitions since I know they will come up. ( But they were more political than theological if you really study them.)
Political persecutions are just as bad.