Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #31
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

I was pretty much in the exact same boat last winter as you are in now Big J. All I can say is that I am glad I listened to the guys and gals here rather than the first Doctor who examined me. He also told me to stop deadlifting permanently, but higher rep squatting would be OK for now. It bothered me so much I made a vid about it. I just couldn't find a way to accept that and I think everyone here saw that.

At any rate, the 2nd opinion, Dr Babbins, one of the best sports medicine docs in the city (he has a 4 month wait), was more thorough. As it turned out, I managed to get all the inflammation under control with the help of Lisa here on the forum. Now, Dr Babbins is telling me to go have a party and lift how I please, although he recommended high reps for squats as well.

Lets get this fixed up. I want to see you deadlift again.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #32
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I always recommend high reps for squats
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #33
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn

Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I always recommend high reps for squats
You should be a Doctor.

Gym PR's:
Age 50
Old 07-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #34
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
You should be a Doctor.
Doctor OR, does have a nice ring to it.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #35
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Josh,
As you know, I have 2 herniated discs and 1 bulging disc. L1-L2, L4-L5, L5-S1. Diagnosed via MRI.

I told my primary that I didn't want surgery unless there were no other options so he sent me to a physiatrist. This type of doctor will try to to fix you through muscular and skeletal rehab.

Remember, doctors do what they are taught to do. A surgeon will always recommend cutting you, and psychiatrist will always recommend medication. Upon examination, she sent me to a sports PT who helped me relearn posture, standing, lifting things from the floor, sitting and walking.

I was taught rehab and strengthening exercises that I have found helpful. Once my back felt better, I tried some deadlift modifications and they worked for a time, but I've found that my back is too unstable (issues at the top and bottom) and so, I chose to find other ways to have the body I want without compromising my ability to walk or stand straight. Any exercise which can cause spinal compression is out for me. I do chest supported back work whenever possible.

And at the end of the day, I don't beat myself up about not being able to do 2 of the 3 big lifts. I find ways to still lift and be big and strong. Whatever you decide, make sure you are thinking with your head and not with your ego.

You are a tank of a man and no stranger can look at you and say, "Pft, he doesn't even deadlift or squat." They only know you're big and strong.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #36
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

You see Josh, there are a bunch of us guys here with messed up backs. The body is an amazing machine and it's very good at healing itself. We have all found a way to get back to the lifts we love, or we've found ways to work around them. Hang in there, it sucks at first, but it gets better.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #37
Shorts
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

I have had very different experiences than most on here ...

I had severe degeneration of two discs, L3-L4 and L4-L5. L4-L5 was almost to the point of complete fusion. I also had signs of scoliosis, a broken sacrum in two places, and an irregular curve in my neck. This was all diagnosed by a chiropractor AFTER two different ortho's told me that I needed to take pain meds and muscle relaxers and let my injury heal on its own. Mind you, the ortho's told my injury was an annular tear in my L4-L5 and that was it.

So I do agree that you need to seek a second opinion, but don't always discount a chiropractor if you can find one that is repubtible. I highly recommend any chriopractor who has been schooled through Gonstead (look it up if you're curious). Yes, they have different beliefs but it doesn't make them any worse in my opinion.

Two years with my chiro and I went from not being able to sit and stand without pain to new PR's on my squat and deadlift. My back still gets tight at times and I do get adjustments once a month, but overall my back is healthy again.

After I first started seeing him, I was doing higher rep deadlifts and box squat with very little weight (started with the bar) and have gotten to where I am today.

If you're willing to put in the time, you can work through this and still enjoy your sport. It won't be easy, but you've got a great support group here.

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #38
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn

What everybody here gave me is hope, and that is all I needed as I pursued treatment.

I hope you also feel the same way Josh.

Gym PR's:
Age 50
Old 08-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #39
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Sorry for not responding to this thread. I wanted to wait until I got some more specific information before moving forward.
It was just confirmed to me from my Primary Care doctor, using X-rays that I have degnerative disc disease. I don't yet know exactly what the hell this means. He has given me a referral to Physical Therapy, which he believes will help. He also offered to have an MRI done.
I was told this all over the phone and haven't really sat down to speak with him. The fact that he offered to do an MRI alarms me, because this means there is an issue he is concerned about.
So yeah, I'm not just a wuss, something is wrong with me.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #40
Shorts
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

BigJosh,

When I hurt my back, x-rays also confirmed what you had. I believe there are 4 stages of this, with the first being a normal healthy disc and the fourth being fusion of spine (the worst, aka no shock absorber). I was at stage three when I was diagnosed.

I went through two years of chiropractic treatment, slowing spacing out the sessions over that time. I was able to keep lifting and did not have to undergo physical therapy either. The MRI that was ordered is likely to confirm that the space in between your spine is thinning,.

There are multiple other ways of treatment (physical therapy being one) but I would explore your options with your doctor or on your own before you commit to just one.

Sorry to hear you have this, it is tough but it is manageable and over time you will heal!

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote