Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #21
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
I really agree with the first part of this and really disagree with the second part.

The second part: if a doctor told you that you could still deadlift (because that was something you wanted to do), but suspected that deadlifting would injure you...well, that would be a pretty bad doctor in my view. The doctor's first duty is to look after your health, not to tell you what you want to hear.

The first part: yeah, I would never trust the opinion of a chiropractor alone.

Josh:

It might be true that you have a spinal abnormality, but bear in mind that chiros are really fond of diagnosing spinal abnormalities of one sort or another. You could walk into a chiros with an axe sticking out of your head and they would tell you that the pain was caused by a misaligned spine (for example).

And in any event, I don't think there is much evidence that a spinal manipulation can fix disc-related problems. On top of this, a chiro's training is filled with some really odd ideas, such as diseases being caused by 'subluxations'.

Maybe chiros can help with some problems, but it seems more of an art than a science based on sound principles. So I think the advice from the other guys is spot on - seek help from recognised medical sources.

FWIW, years ago I went to a chiro after I hurt myself deadlifting. I thought at the time that the visit helped, but in retrospect, I don't think it did. Like most people, I went to see the chiro when the pain was at its worst. He manipulated my back and after getting worse still, it got better. I now think that the pain would naturally receded anyway with rest.

Good luck with it anyway.
Haters gotta hate. LOL J/k
Old 07-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #22
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Josh, brother, first time I've read through this. I'm not going to give you advice as you have gotten some already and from better people.

I truly hope whatever you choose, the outcome will be as close to ideal as possible. There's several examples here of those who overcame, and live with less than what they originally wanted. Stay strong BJ.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #23
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Some really great feedback, encouragment and opinions in here. Thanks to all! You guys bring up some valid points about the diagnosis, the treatment and the chiropractor in general.
The chiropractor is a friends father, so in my eyes that tends to lend him a bit of credibility. I don't feel like he is intentionally trying to scam me.
However, I agree a chiro isn't the most qualified person to diagnos and treat this issue.
Clearly other opinions must be sought. Thanks guys. I am going to start with my primary care doctor and go from there. I will go to him first to see who he recommends for PT.
I am a bit afraid of orthopedic surgeons because in my experience, the always want to cut. F that.
My end goal is to rehabilitate this not live with it. ANd I will do what I must. The advice in here is worth it's weight in gold and I will heed it closely.
Also, the recovery stories in here are great. I mean, right now, I feel like with a bit of time and persistence I can be pulling for dead PRs again.
Thanks to everyone posting in here!

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #24
BigJosh
Max Brawn

BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Just made an appointment for tommorow afternoon with my primary care doctor. Thanks again guys.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #25
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

My first red flag from the chiro is that he said deads were out but squats were in. Those lifts are way too similar with the stresses they put on the back. Does the chiro even lift?
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #26
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
My first red flag from the chiro is that he said deads were out but squats were in. Those lifts are way too similar with the stresses they put on the back. Does the chiro even lift?
He told me he "does all the weight on the cable machine for sets of 40". Sets of what I don't know.
In his defense I told him that Squats don't tend to aggravate my back and deads almost always do.
Still, point taken. The chiro was a start. I'll see the MD tommorow.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #27
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Good luck to you. We all wish you the best outcome.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #28
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
Just made an appointment for tommorow afternoon with my primary care doctor. Thanks again guys.
I think with these instances, it's a case of:

Listening to your gut instinct (very important)
Getting as in-depth a diagnosis as you can (depending on availability etc)
Weigh-up any operation or treatment that is offered.
Start with the most minimal treatment, if possible, and work upward to the worst case scenario treatments.
Make sure nothing serious is trapped, nerve wise, which could complicate things.
Assess as you go along, seeing how you feel at all times.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #29
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
I really agree with the first part of this and really disagree with the second part.

The second part: if a doctor told you that you could still deadlift (because that was something you wanted to do), but suspected that deadlifting would injure you...well, that would be a pretty bad doctor in my view. The doctor's first duty is to look after your health, not to tell you what you want to hear.
I think you misread into what I said. In your scenario I would mean that the patient would undergo treatment to work towards deadlifting again, safely. Being told no deadlifting anymore period at first diagnosis is BS.

Good luck Josh.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #30
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
Some really great feedback, encouragment and opinions in here. Thanks to all! You guys bring up some valid points about the diagnosis, the treatment and the chiropractor in general.
The chiropractor is a friends father, so in my eyes that tends to lend him a bit of credibility. I don't feel like he is intentionally trying to scam me.
However, I agree a chiro isn't the most qualified person to diagnos and treat this issue.
Clearly other opinions must be sought. Thanks guys. I am going to start with my primary care doctor and go from there. I will go to him first to see who he recommends for PT.
I am a bit afraid of orthopedic surgeons because in my experience, the always want to cut. F that.
My end goal is to rehabilitate this not live with it. ANd I will do what I must. The advice in here is worth it's weight in gold and I will heed it closely.
Also, the recovery stories in here are great. I mean, right now, I feel like with a bit of time and persistence I can be pulling for dead PRs again.
Thanks to everyone posting in here!
Sounds like you're on the right track with that, if it was an ACL I would tell you to just go to the surgeon as I've had several friends who were football players tare those and they went through agonizing months of PT only to end up needing the surgery. This anecdotal evidence leads me to believe that ACL tares simply require surgery and that PT for those is a waste of time. The bottom line though, is that you ultimately have to listen to your body and decide what's best for it.
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote