Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #11
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I've told my story on here many times. But as a refresher, I have three herniated discs, displacement of the sciatic nerve, and nerve bunching. I have a certified 65% permanent disability rating and I was off work for over three years fixing it up. I'd experience paralysis from the waist down at least daily for several hours. It was BAD!!!

I think the important thing is to take time to let it heal properly. I swear by physical therapy, it helped so much, and my PT was the one that got me lifting. In her words, a strong back is a healthy back. But man, you have to start slow. I started lifting empty milk crates, and over time I'd add some weight plates to it. I'd also do a TON of back raises. It was a long process but thankfully I can squat today, and as long as I can keep it up, my back does pretty well.

I've had to settle on the fact that my progression with the weights has to be SLOW. Anything too fast and I'm out of the game for a few weeks to a couple of months. Sure, I get angry when I think about the amount of time I've put into this, hell I should probably be squatting close to 600 by now if I had a healthy back. But I know that when I squat 500, that'll be 400 more than I could ever squat when my back was healthy.

Trust me, I know it sucks right now. But eventually you'll get it figured out and you'll get whatever your body will give you and be very happy about any progress you can make. Take time, heal up, and come back with determination to make yourself better.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #12
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Wow - just read this and I am somewhat surprised. However, there is tons of hope to get this fixed up. I went thru a similar experience last Winter. One week a sports medicine doc was telling me to quit deadlifting and the next week an eye surgeon was telling me there was nothing he could do for me. A few months later, the sports medicine doc is telling me I can lift whatever I want, although he recommended rep work, and the eye surgeon is telling me its a fucking miracle my vision improved and the inflammation is not only under control, but reducing. The common factor here is inflammation, that was both present in my eyes and lower back. I asked the doc about all the other words used in my initial Xray on my lower back, such as disc narrowing and degeneration, and he said they are really all fancy terms for arthritis. The inflammation is still present, but is very mild and stable.

If after some more testing (there should be more tests like maybe an MRI or 3D spect image taken of your back) it is deemed to be arthritis and inflammation, give me a call. We have alot to talk about. I of course am not an expert, but if you do not yet know or remember all the details about my winter of hell, you need to know.

You also mentioned the lean on squats. My lean, as I later found out, was actually being caused by a weak lower back, which was forcing my other muscles to take up the slack. However, when the weight got to a certain point, the other muscles couldn't take up the slack anymore, and then my arthritic facet joints would pop out because of the inflammation causing the tissue around them to be weak and spongy.

The cure? The MedX Back Bitch. No other exercise on the planet isolates the lower back like this machine. 2 minutes on this thing and your done for a week. However, it sure does work miracles to strengthen that lower back.

So, lots of options and ways to deal with it. There are many diet changes and supplements to help as well, all of which I am on. Worked for me and me and my family still can't believe it. I am going to get my 500 pull this time!!

Again, once you have more info, let us know. I am glad I did.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:31 AM   #13
GT55
Brawn
Points: 965, Level: 16 Points: 965, Level: 16 Points: 965, Level: 16

Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Crunches of course
Fav Supp: A second plate
GT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributor

Sorry to hear this. But I can only echo the ideas of most people on here. I had the same problem, actually ruptured one disc and herniated another. I was on a waiting list for surgery and started PT and swimming every day. After 6 weeks I was able to cancel the surgery and never looked back since.

Another issue raised by most people is the problem with x-rays. They're cheaper than MRIs, so doctors will always try them first. Just get the MRI done is my advice.

Some things to try:
1. Strengthen the abs. Look at a profile of the human skeleton and it doesnt take long to realise that theres a significant lack of structure in the lumbar region. You have to make up for this with a strong core (not only back muscles). I think Tiger Woods said the only reason he doesnt have back issues is that he has strong abs!
2. Swim?? It worked for me. The combination of weightlessness, movement, warmth etc. followed by PT was my saving grace.
3. Patience. It takes time, sucks and all but thats the human body.

Hope that helps!
GT55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Thank you guys for all sharing and encouraging. Your stories are inspirational. I truly mean that. I am sorry for not responding directly at this time, I just want to get this out.

I have been diagnosed with a sacralized L5. He called it an abnormality, but basically my understanding is that it is a birth defect.
Sacralization of the fifth lumbar vertebra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As he put it, where there is one problem there is usually more. Bare with me, as I had a lot of info to process yesterday, so my description is neither medical nor thorough.
The bigger problem is that my disc above my l5(between L5 and L4) is significantly smaller/thinner than it should be. While it should be bigger than the discs above it, it is actually about half of there size. He could not determine whether this was due to wear and tear or it was always this way, but he theorized that it was most likely smaller to begin with.
This is causing the L4 veratbrae to sit back a bit abnormally which is something he is confident he can treat.

He specifically said any powerlifting ambitions I had, are done. It would not be prudent to peruse them.
Deadlifts, are done. Do not do them.
However, he did say Squats were ok as long as it didn't cause pain and as long as I didn't go max effort. He even said for the time being I can still squat, just higher reps. He threw out a number of 20 reps, which kind of made me smirk a little bit (20 rep breathing squats anyone?).
In the long term he said I can keep it in the 10 rep range.
So, the fact that I can still squat, is great news. This means I can still lift at home and don't have to go back to the commercial gym. THis was important to me.
Also I can still work my lower body with pretty good intensity utilizing squats for reps and movements such as bulgarian split squats and lunges. All is not lost here. A big dream of mine is lost, in powerlifting, but my lower body progress had been flounder for over a year anyway, so it is what it is.
Also, he told me specifically, get my abdominal and core as strong as possible.

So that's where I'm at. Currently my back is in quite a bit of discomfort, so I didn't squat this morning.
Also, this was just one man's opinion. I have every intention of getting second and third opinions from different medical professionals. The fact of the matter is while they may offer different opinions as far as treatment and recovery, it is pretty indisputable that a problem exists. And it is something I will have to live with.

Onward and upward!

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #15
Off Road
Max Brawn

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Sounds like all-in-all it wasn't too bad. At least you can still squat and lift. I wouldn't completely rule out the deadlift in the future, let it play out and see where you are in a couple of years.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #16
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

You need a sports oriented neurosurgeon, an MRI, and rehabilitation. I really don't think a chiropractor is adequate for a diagnosis. Its also not right that you are told powerlifting is out. Doctors should help you live life how YOU want, telling you to just not deadlift is the major easy way out. I honestly think you are being fed a line of BS.

And since everybody sharing.

Last Feb. 3 herniated lumbar discs, 1 burst disc, excruciating sciatic pain.

Get MRI, see neurosurgeon, he wants to do surgery that week. Tell me no deadlift squat or ohp anymore.
Fuck that fgt.

Go see sports ortho nuero surgeon, give me nerve pain medicine, epidural, month of PT, 3 months off work. Tell me he doesnt tell people what they cant do with there life. I start lifting again, PT said be careful, use belt, have perfect form, do ohp and bench press. Slowly introduce squats and deads.
Recently set many PR's, back injury distant memory, deadlift PR a week ago.

Last edited by fenrisulfr; 07-10-2013 at 12:06 PM.
fenrisulfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #17
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Answereing Josh's question(s) Tooo much to "quote"

Yes, I still squat and deadlift ( had to take a few months off - for different health issue )
After trying multiple Chiro's, massage, accupuncture, etc..... I went to a neurosurgeon and had an MRI, X rays, CT, and some sort of thermal imaging done.

I am all for the effect of the pain pills and muscle relaxers - they do provide relief but I do not want to be on pills for the rest of my life.

hope all that helps a little - good luck
Old 07-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #18
Off Road
Max Brawn

Oops, must have missed that the diagnosis was from a chiropractor.
Definite you need the word of a good neurosurgeon. Also, an MRI will show a lot more than an X-Ray. I had to have a milogram, that was frackin' miserable!!! The MRI showed a lump, which turned out to be nerves all pushed out of place and bunched together. Could only see it clearly with the milogram.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #19
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

I agree with the others, you need more than a chiro diagnosis. I was blessed to be able to go to the back guy in Dr. Andrews group, before Health South was destroyed. They are the doctors the pro athletes go to. Was kinda cool seeing the same guy Scottie Pippin was seeing. Any way, Find a neuro or ortho, who specializes in sports injuries and specifically backs. It will be with the extra travel.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #20
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrisulfr View Post
You need a sports oriented neurosurgeon, an MRI, and rehabilitation. I really don't think a chiropractor is adequate for a diagnosis. Its also not right that you are told powerlifting is out. Doctors should help you live life how YOU want, telling you to just not deadlift is the major easy way out. I honestly think you are being fed a line of BS..
I really agree with the first part of this and really disagree with the second part.

The second part: if a doctor told you that you could still deadlift (because that was something you wanted to do), but suspected that deadlifting would injure you...well, that would be a pretty bad doctor in my view. The doctor's first duty is to look after your health, not to tell you what you want to hear.

The first part: yeah, I would never trust the opinion of a chiropractor alone.

Josh:

It might be true that you have a spinal abnormality, but bear in mind that chiros are really fond of diagnosing spinal abnormalities of one sort or another. You could walk into a chiros with an axe sticking out of your head and they would tell you that the pain was caused by a misaligned spine (for example).

And in any event, I don't think there is much evidence that a spinal manipulation can fix disc-related problems. On top of this, a chiro's training is filled with some really odd ideas, such as diseases being caused by 'subluxations'.

Maybe chiros can help with some problems, but it seems more of an art than a science based on sound principles. So I think the advice from the other guys is spot on - seek help from recognised medical sources.

FWIW, years ago I went to a chiro after I hurt myself deadlifting. I thought at the time that the visit helped, but in retrospect, I don't think it did. Like most people, I went to see the chiro when the pain was at its worst. He manipulated my back and after getting worse still, it got better. I now think that the pain would naturally receded anyway with rest.

Good luck with it anyway.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote