Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

NTSB urges caution on dispensing blame in Asiana crash - CNN.com
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #12
JBrown
Brawn
Points: 2,060, Level: 27 Points: 2,060, Level: 27 Points: 2,060, Level: 27

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
JBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributor

Just read the article, Glwanabe. It's not fair for the media to sway opinions before all the facts are gathered. Especially in such a tragic occurrence where lives have been lost. And what I'd imagine could bring such serious lawful repercussion. Like a homicide case, the deciding being should be impartial.

I'm definitely rooting for the pilots. It most certainly wasn't intentional and nobody deserves this on there conscious. Putting myself in their shoes not sure if I could live through the guilt even if I had been 99% competent.

Question.
How is it that they allow someone who has only finished half of his training to be in control of such a large aircraft full of that many people Is it the same in the U.S?
JBrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #13
glwanabe
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Gotta take care of some errands this afternoon, but I can talk about intial operating experience, and transitioning between acft types later.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #14
JBrown
Brawn

JBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
Gotta take care of some errands this afternoon, but I can talk about intial operating experience, and transitioning between acft types later.
Looking forward to it.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #15
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Here is some light reading let me know when you need more.

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations
Old 07-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #16
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Supp: Lard
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
It's not fair for the media to sway opinions before all the facts are gathered. Especially in such a tragic occurrence where lives have been lost. And what I'd imagine could bring such serious lawful repercussion. Like a homicide case, the deciding being should be impartial.
I noticed day 1 the media was jumping on the fact that the pilot had never landed a commercial plane by himself before and implied that that was the reason for the crash.

Next day they were like, "Well we checked into that and actually that's not uncommon so maybe it was something else that caused the crash." They've since followed that with myriad possibilities without any real evidence.

Maybe you should get your facts straight before you create public outrage, media. Just a thought.

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #17
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalVirago View Post
I noticed day 1 the media was jumping on the fact that the pilot had never landed a commercial plane by himself before and implied that that was the reason for the crash.
Yea, they love to get stuff wrong. The pilot is a 10,000 hour pilot rated in multiple transport catagory acft.

Quote:
Maybe you should get your facts straight before you create public outrage, media. Just a thought.
That takes time, and then they would not be the first one to put out bad information. However they broke the story first.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #18
JBrown
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
Here is some light reading let me know when you need more.

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations
Thanks G, can't wait to find out how difficult it is for pilots to transition from aircraft to aircraft, if at all.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #19
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
Thanks G, can't wait to find out how difficult it is for pilots to transition from aircraft to aircraft, if at all.

Acft transition is a common scenario. Typically if you are flying one type of eqpt, and the airline needs more pilots for another fleet type, then they will open up classes to train more pilots for that type, If it is eqpt that you want to fly then you would bid to go to trng. If you are picked usually depending on seniority then you would get a class date to start trng. Acft over a certain weight, and jet pwered acft require that the pilot or pilots be type certificated. Certain acft types are common enough that a type certificate in one is good for the others. Such as the EMB- 135 / 145 series of acft. There is some differences trng, but a type certificate is good for all of them.

It may turn out if you really want the transition that you might go from a captain on one type to a FO on another, but maybe not. Union contracts play a big role in how new seats are allocated. Every Airline has it's own rules. You could be a 747 captain at airline X with 20yrs seniority, but, if you leave and go to work for airline Y, you have zero seniority. You end up back at the bottom of the barrell for scheduling and pay. 20 yrs experience with first years pay.

I roomed with an ex Air Force DC-9 captain who was flying for his 6th airline. 30,000 plus hours and was flying a reserve line. Reserve is when you can't hold a normal schedule and they will call you when they need you. Sometimes he would sit at the crashpad in ATL for a week, and then go home for a few days, then come back and sit again. Sometimes they would have to fly him just so he could stay current. Other times he flew his max allowed hours.

I have turned down promotions within my dept in the past to keep better work schedules. I don't miss working for the airlines. It was great, but I am very happy with my new job.

When you see the news, and they would show an arpt full of people stranded for any one of many different situations, I was one of the people who was cancelling those flights. Flights are not cancelled by agents at the arpt.

Last edited by glwanabe; 07-12-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #20
glwanabe
Max Brawn

New Zealand air force B-757. Make no mistake, modern airliners are high performance acft.