Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #1
Gorship
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,682, Level: 23 Points: 1,682, Level: 23 Points: 1,682, Level: 23
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 1-2 altogether.
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: DeadLift
Fav Supp: Creatine + Beta Alanine.
Gorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributor
Default when can you call yourself a "___lifter"

Question for yall.

when do you think is the appropriate amount of training been done so that can call yourself

1st "someone who lifts"

2nd. What classifies someone as a power lifter vs a bodybuilder?

Do you need to do competitions in either to be apart of one of those categorizes? or do you just prescribe to those training styles more?
Gorship is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorship View Post
1st "someone who lifts"
Someone who lifts, I would say.

Quote:

Do you need to do competitions in either to be apart of one of those categorizes?
Yep.

Step up on stage as a bodybuilder, if you want to be called one. Enter a meet if you want to be called a powerlifter. Compete in Strongman, if that's what you want to be called. And so forth.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:45 AM   #3
JBrown
Brawn
Points: 2,060, Level: 27 Points: 2,060, Level: 27 Points: 2,060, Level: 27
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
JBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributor

I wouldn't consider someone a "lifter" until they have proven it to be habit. If you have true dedication it'll take 3 weeks at best.

Avoiding semantics I'd say the above also answers your question to part two. If bodybuilding or powerlifting has become part of your lifestyle and you practice regularly, well then, you have a good argument for being one
JBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorship View Post
Question for yall.

when do you think is the appropriate amount of training been done so that can call yourself

1st "someone who lifts"

Do you need to do competitions in either to be apart of one of those categorizes? or do you just prescribe to those training styles more?

If you rarely miss workouts you're a lifter in my book. If you are missing several workouts per month then you are someone who lifts but hasn't committed. It's really an issue of commitment for me.

Those who want it find a way to train. Those that don't miss workouts and constantly change programs. They find ways to dick around, making it look like movement is occurring when it's actually smoke and mirrors.

Second question...You are a bodybuilder or powerlifter when you compete in the sport of bodybuilding or powerlifting.

Until that occurs, you are training for muscle or strength with the goal of one day competing.

I also feel bodybuilding doesn't have to involve the stage, but this is a hot debate. Bodybuilding is a process of improving your physique, as well as a sport, where powerlifting is simply a sport.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 07-07-2013 at 11:37 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:49 AM   #5
themaster2981
Max Brawn
Points: 3,153, Level: 34 Points: 3,153, Level: 34 Points: 3,153, Level: 34
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Training Exp: 3 years serious
Fav Exercise: All
Fav Supp: Desi Ghee
themaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
If you rarely miss workouts your a lifter in my book. If you are missing several workouts per month then you are someone who lifts but hasn't committed. It's really an issue of commitment for me.

Those who want it find a way to train. Those that don't miss workouts and constantly change programs. They find ways to dick around, making it look like movement is occurring when it's actually smoke and mirrors.

Second question...You are a bodybuilder or powerlifter when you compete in the sport of bodybuilder or powerlifting.

Until that occurs, you are training for muscle or strength with the goal of one day competing.

I also feel bodybuilding doesn't have to involve the stage, but this is a hot debate. Bodybuilding is a process to be, as well as a sport, where powerlifting is simply a sport.
100% agree.

"Move me out of the away so that someone else can lift": Ed Coan after injuring himself during a squat attempt of 970 lbs in 2002

POWERLIFTING - ABSOLUTE POWER
themaster2981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:58 AM   #6
1Strength
Deadlift Only Dude
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,018, Level: 17 Points: 1,018, Level: 17 Points: 1,018, Level: 17
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 9 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Dymatize Elite Whey
1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor

I just say strength trainee lol... unless you compete you're not a powerlifter or strongman or bodybuilder.

My YouTube Channel
1Strength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:03 AM   #7
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

i would say you are a lifter when you are lifting day in day out week in week out year in year out rarely missing workouts.

when you are competing on stage as bodybuilder or a power lifter then you can call yourself a bodybuilder or power lifter, or a power builder if you are training for muscle and strength with the intention of competing one day in bodybuilding of power lifting or even both.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:52 AM   #8
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

On the personal level......I define myself as a: Bodybuilder and powerlifter. Though on a professional/amateaur level I understand the traditional definitions applied toward a Power Lifter and Bodybuilder and those wanting to compete.

Here is why I define myself as a bodybuilder and powerlifter, per se: I train my body the way I believe it is designed to function: As one entire unit, with each muscle having its purpose, and each one working together to assist the other in certain movement patterns.

Therefore, I train to strengthen them, build endurance in them (including cardiovascular), and build top end absolute strength. It incorporates both styles in a personal scheduling pattern.

I dont have to compete on stage to "build" my "body", aka, "bodybuilder", or build top end personal strength, but I do have to have passion to be "consistant" in what I personally desire.

Here is the beauty of the iron: It is most flexible and one can make their own goal desires, and set foot on their own personal podium (stage) and be a champion, without ever doing it professionally (if this is what they desire).

With virtually any goal, you have to be consistent in the things in which will earn your goal. At the same time though, once you earn your goal, if you decide to stop the things in which earned your goal, the goal will slowly erode and decay over time, and one has to maintenance it in order to keep it or improve upon it.

I have been consistent for years now, and I am a bodybuilder, and have reached and will reach more personal championships, and squash the bugs I as I walk this life. My heart defines what I want, and I never abanden it. As I become the champion, my wife will stand with me on the podium, as I....pull her up to stand with me together as one.

Peace and harmony to all of you today and every day!

Don

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 07-07-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:56 AM   #9
moeheep
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

In 3 hrs and 5 minutes, I will start my second powerlifting meet......I AM a powerlifter!

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:07 AM   #10
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67

Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeheep View Post
In 3 hrs and 5 minutes, I will start my second powerlifting meet......I AM a powerlifter!
Smash dem weights, mate.

And yep, that you are. To my mind anyway, that's what it takes. Wouldn't dream of calling myself that without competing at least once.