Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:28 AM   #31
IainK
Max Brawn
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 20
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Hard work in a can
IainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machine

If you compete at an activity the you can be called the noun for somebody whom competes at that activity

Dosnt sound complicated to me. Off course you can call yourself anything you wanted. However if you dont compete on a chosen field expect to get funny looks from people whom know you talking cobblers
Old 07-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #32
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Hahaha, a few words of wisdom from Paul Carter. When I read it, I knew it belonged in this thread

"Just because you decide to do some bodybuilding doesn't mean you have to slather salad dressing all over yourself and pose in a banana hammock. Just because you decide to do some powerlifting doesn't mean you have to wear a beanie and get fat." - Paul Carter, LRB
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #33
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Lard
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
It might help if the word professional is incorporated when appropriate.

Like football player or professional football player.

Simple fix IMO
I agree with this. I can say I'm a bodybuilder, weightlifter, whatever. But to refer to someone as a "professional" bodybuilder, for instance, distinguishes that person as competitive, e.g. "for profit", as opposed to someone that does it recreationally or to achieve a personal goal. I feel like you can play a sport and say you're a player of that sport without having ever competed.

Case in point. I know lots of runners that label themselves as such but have never run in a race. Surfers can call themselves that without ever have competed. There are archers, hang gliders, scuba divers, rollerbladers, bicyclists, parkour, skiiers, snowboarders...all of whom actively and regularly participate in a sport but not necessarily competitively.

I'm not sure why some people seem fixated on labeling others anyway. If brother man wants to say he's a non-competitive bodybuilder, and that makes him happy, why do I care? It has zero affect on my life.

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #34
ffemtny
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,842, Level: 25 Points: 1,842, Level: 25 Points: 1,842, Level: 25
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

ffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributor

Not into labels,just trying to stay strong/fit so I can keep making money as a Healthcare provider, currently a paramedic formerly a nurse. As knee, back, and shoulder injuries end a whole lot of careers seems like the smart thing to do. On the other hand it does my ego good when I lift a patient and partners pay me compliments or when recently someone told me Im built like a brick shithouse.
ffemtny is offline   Reply With Quote