Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:28 AM   #11
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

I can't understand why you need to step on a stage in order to be a bodybuilder or powerlifter. That just makes you an actively competing bodybuilder or powerlifter.

For many powerlifting contests, there's no minimum standard of strength required. Someone could enter a powerlifting contest after a month of training with a bodyweight squat and deadlift.

There might be all sorts of reasons why someone doesn't want to compete. Not everyone is interested in measuring themselves against other people. A non-competitive powerlifter or bodybuilder might be training every bit as hard as someone who enters a formal competition, be just as committed, and achieved just as much.

For my money, if the consistent focus of your training is to improve your performance on bench press, squat and deadlift, you're a powerlifter. If the consistent focus is to attain a bodybuilder physique, you're a bodybuilder.

I would say, however, that without some modicum of achievement, it might be unwise to label yourself as either - just to avoid other people snickering.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #12
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
I can't understand why you need to step on a stage in order to be a bodybuilder or powerlifter. That just makes you an actively competing bodybuilder or powerlifter.

For many powerlifting contests, there's no minimum standard of strength required. Someone could enter a powerlifting contest after a month of training with a bodyweight squat and deadlift.

There might be all sorts of reasons why someone doesn't want to compete. Not everyone is interested in measuring themselves against other people. A non-competitive powerlifter or bodybuilder might be training every bit as hard as someone who enters a formal competition, be just as committed, and achieved just as much.

For my money, if the consistent focus of your training is to improve your performance on bench press, squat and deadlift, you're a powerlifter. If the consistent focus is to attain a bodybuilder physique, you're a bodybuilder.

I would say, however, that without some modicum of achievement, it might be unwise to label yourself as either - just to avoid other people snickering.
Yup. What he said.

Never bodybuilt, but powerlifting took on a whole new aspect when I started to compete. You can add up totals in the gym all you want, but putting it all together on one single day (something I still haven't done in terms of my best effort) is a whole 'nother animal.

I respect anyone that does it however they want to do it. BUT if you're going to call yourself a powerlifter or a body builder, I think you have to put yourself out there once in a while.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #13
themaster2981
Max Brawn
Points: 3,153, Level: 34 Points: 3,153, Level: 34 Points: 3,153, Level: 34
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Training Exp: 3 years serious
Fav Exercise: All
Fav Supp: Creatine Mono
themaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beast

Quote:

Beautifully summed up Tannhauser. 100% agree. I need not post now what I was thinking of.

"Move me out of the away so that someone else can lift": Ed Coan after injuring himself during a squat attempt of 970 lbs in 2002

POWERLIFTING - ABSOLUTE POWER
themaster2981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #14
Excel
New Brawn
Points: 1,733, Level: 24 Points: 1,733, Level: 24 Points: 1,733, Level: 24
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Excel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good posts

Some of us have neither intent to bodybuild for the stage nor powerlift in competition, and are training with weights (and even bodyweight/calisthenics) to improve athletic strength and capability.

Thus lifting can be not just an end but a means, and not necessarily an identity.
Excel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #15
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I believe to tell somebody that you are a bodybuilder, or a powerlifter, or a weightlifter, or a strongman, or even a football player or baseball player, you have to have competed in those sports at a competitive level.

If somebody joins a football or baseball team, but always sits on the sidelines and never gets to dress-out, are they a player? If somebody enters a bodybuilding competition and they are fat, pale, and have no muscle, are they a bodybuilder? If a healthy, full-grown adult male enters a powerlifting meet and totals 500 lbs, are they a powerlifter? Just because you passed your Algebra final, are you now a mathematician?

Not to be a total jackass, but I do not believe that everybody should get a trophy just for showing up. Put in the time and dedication, make some big improvements, then go and put your skills up against the big boys. Be competitive, earn the title, and then call yourself whatever you want.

Last edited by Off Road; 07-07-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #16
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I've always like the term "Physical Culturalist" for myself and all those who just want to better themselves through lifting, conditioning, and diet.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #17
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:

I almost missed this post but I agree. Saved me a bunch of typing too. And for those that don't compete, it is difficult to categorise other than with terms that people already understand.

Who's to say that a person does not compete for lack of funding, travel complications, or other things that just prevent them from doing so.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #18
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

My views on this changed after competing. There is a change in the mindset and core of the person after they enter a competition and compete. People can call themselves whatever they want and I won't get too grumpy about it, but until you step on the stage and prove it, a part of what makes you a powerlifter or strongman is missing.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #19
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
My views on this changed after competing. There is a change in the mindset and core of the person after they enter a competition and compete. .
Ah now Brutus, isn't there the faintest whiff of snobbery about all this?The only change I noticed after I competed was that I went on and on about it to anyone who would listen, and then referred to myself as a competitive powerlifter to distinguish myself from the riff-raff.

If you disagree, I still love you.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #20
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

To be fair, there's the faintest whiff of snobbery about almost anything. Are you a teacher or a professor? A trashman or a waste engineer? It's all semantics at some point, but how you look at yourself and how you define others is always going to involve some snobbery unless you're mother Theresa, and even she became a saint to solidify her status above the great unwashed.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote