Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine
Default Can/schould/how (do) i work in lower rep range deadlifts

last workout of DL was 285x5x3

3x5 is working, but i hate it. I'd much rather do lower rep stuff like singles or triples. How would i go about doing this? how do you progress from workout to workout?

sorry to ask for this spoon feeding, but i would just do a program that involves all lower reps, but i only want to do lower rep deads for now.

thanks in advanced.
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
Old 12-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Personally I do not see why you could not switch to lower reps, you could definitely do a 3x3 or something along those lines I see no problem with that. I do all of my heavy deadlifts as singles.

Its really up to you, but I think after a couple of reps I really start to lose my form.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I am not a fan of multiple deadlift reps. But with that said, I don't push my belief. We all know our bodies, and PLENTY of strong men have performed muliple rep sets on the deadlift.

BUT, I see many, many multiple rep sets - if not most - where good form is lost after one rep.

If you want to do 2's or 3's, at least reset your form between each rep.

Kman, I have a challenge for you...last workout you did 15 reps with 285. Next time in the gym, I want you to do 20 singles with 285 in 10 minutes. After each single, rest only 15 seconds, take time and setup properly, then do another rep. Try this once. See how you like it.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
Personally I do not see why you could not switch to lower reps, you could definitely do a 3x3 or something along those lines I see no problem with that. I do all of my heavy deadlifts as singles.

Its really up to you, but I think after a couple of reps I really start to lose my form.
My form is bad enough on my first rep and after that it really goes to hell. This is exactly why I want to do lower rep range stuff. I'll consider a 3x3 or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I am not a fan of multiple deadlift reps. But with that said, I don't push my belief. We all know our bodies, and PLENTY of strong men have performed muliple rep sets on the deadlift.

BUT, I see many, many multiple rep sets - if not most - where good form is lost after one rep.

If you want to do 2's or 3's, at least reset your form between each rep.

Kman, I have a challenge for you...last workout you did 15 reps with 285. Next time in the gym, I want you to do 20 singles with 285 in 10 minutes. After each single, rest only 15 seconds, take time and setup properly, then do another rep. Try this once. See how you like it.
I'm not a fan either.

I wil try that sometime, but i have to say i dont think i'll like it. I dont know if i could make myself keep going, or i may try to do it too fast and burn out too quickly.
I know it seems as simple as it gets, but i dont know how i'd like it... but sometime I will try it.

__________________________________________________ __________
How do people do singles? what i mean by this is how do you progress ect. Is it the same where you just add 5lbs each time. or what?

__________________________________________________ __________
currently i deadlift twice a week. Maybe what i could do is triples or singles 1 day and then what MAB (or btb, now that you changed your name) suggested the other day....?

thanks for the help guys
Old 12-06-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
AthleteCreator
Trollin'
Uber Brawn
Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16

AthleteCreator is new to the forumAthleteCreator is new to the forum

I only roll with singles for bench and deadlift. I need to start doing it with squats pretty soon though.

It's a pretty cut and dry max effort template.

Start with a good warm up. Pick your next weight around 40-50% and do a couple reps. Increase the weight, do a couple more reps, and then start with your singles. Work all the way up until your 1RM for that day.

Then, drop the weight to about 75% and rep it out as many times as you can (I don't usually do this for deads though).

Now, being that your still a beginner, I don't think that's most effective for you. I think you still need more volume so I would keep you in the 3 to 5 rep range for multiple work sets, but with a reset between each rep.

That's my two cents.

There is nothing "smart" about a 3rd attempt deadlift.
AthleteCreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #6
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthleteCreator View Post
I only roll with singles for bench and deadlift. I need to start doing it with squats pretty soon though.

It's a pretty cut and dry max effort template.

Start with a good warm up. Pick your next weight around 40-50% and do a couple reps. Increase the weight, do a couple more reps, and then start with your singles. Work all the way up until your 1RM for that day.

Then, drop the weight to about 75% and rep it out as many times as you can (I don't usually do this for deads though).

Now, being that your still a beginner, I don't think that's most effective for you. I think you still need more volume so I would keep you in the 3 to 5 rep range for multiple work sets, but with a reset between each rep.

That's my two cents.
great info.

exactly what i was looking for.
by "1rm" for the day. What would that be? your 1rm total (the most wieght you could possibly get). Or a lower that is just the goal of the day?

How is the progress from workout to workout? is it just by feel when you think you can bumo up or adding wieght every time.

I guess i will keep going with the 3x5, but i'd imagine (although not limiting myself to) i'm soon going to be running into progression progress, within the next 30-70 lbs.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:49 PM   #7
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman025 View Post
great info.

exactly what i was looking for.
by "1rm" for the day. What would that be? your 1rm total (the most wieght you could possibly get). Or a lower that is just the goal of the day?

How is the progress from workout to workout? is it just by feel when you think you can bumo up or adding wieght every time.

I guess i will keep going with the 3x5, but i'd imagine (although not limiting myself to) i'm soon going to be running into progression progress, within the next 30-70 lbs.
A 1RM is the most weight that you can possibly get, you should keep very close track of these weights. A lot of doing singles is by feel, which is why it is for intermediates to advanced lifters.

I would figure out what your current 1RM is, and then in the next work out do 90% of that max and then go for a new max, which will have to be by feel. There is no reason to work up to your current max and then put more weight on, you will wear yourself out before you go for a new record. I made this mistake for a while.

AC gave you some great information here, I would agree that since you are a beginner you need more volume, but think of each as a one rep set, complete the weight and reset and hopefully you can keep your form. Keep working man, I hope this helps. Just my opinion.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:34 PM   #8
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn

Quote:
A 1RM is the most weight that you can possibly get, you should keep very close track of these weights. A lot of doing singles is by feel, which is why it is for intermediates to advanced lifters.

I would figure out what your current 1RM is, and then in the next work out do 90% of that max and then go for a new max, which will have to be by feel. There is no reason to work up to your current max and then put more weight on, you will wear yourself out before you go for a new record. I made this mistake for a while.

AC gave you some great information here, I would agree that since you are a beginner you need more volume, but think of each as a one rep set, complete the weight and reset and hopefully you can keep your form. Keep working man, I hope this helps. Just my opinion.
yeah dude, i know what a 1rm is, i just wasnt sure if you do your 1rm every time or what...

so you would do 90% of your 1rm, and then what?

sorry for having no clue about this.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:18 PM   #9
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

I would do 90% of my 1rm and then go for a new record, I usually add 5-10 pounds to the old lift depending on how I felt at 90%.

For example, my current deadlift PR is 500 so the next time I go for a max, I will work up to 90% of that which is 450, and then go for a new record of 510. This way has worked great for me, but I am not sure how everyone else does it.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:31 PM   #10
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn

Quote:
I would do 90% of my 1rm and then go for a new record, I usually add 5-10 pounds to the old lift depending on how I felt at 90%.

For example, my current deadlift PR is 500 so the next time I go for a max, I will work up to 90% of that which is 450, and then go for a new record of 510. This way has worked great for me, but I am not sure how everyone else does it.
thanks a lot man.