Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #3051
Hazzard
Max Brawn
Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
Hazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillen View Post
Im a Gear head. Been playing Gears 3 since release with my sons on our Land-Party Fridays ( Evenings, which we have been doing for about 10 years now with their friends). I love fragging my sons and turning them into my SonFest, and the fun loving ribbing and stuff . We also do a little Horde. Disappointed in the PC version of Rage though.
I guess you mean LAN party?

Sounds awesome mate, loved Gears 1 and 2 and really need to pick up 3 soon. There's always so many awesome games coming out this time of year that I don't have time to play them all... Guess I should refrain from buying them, but I can't help myself... New rugby game this week, then Batman: Arkham City next week, then Zelda a few weeks later. Plus loads more I'm missing.

Also, if anyone's actually interested in Dark Souls at all and you have some spare time, you should check this out, tis funny and will tell you lots about the game:

Quick Look: Dark Souls - Giant Bomb
Old 10-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #3052
_J_
Chalk Rebel
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,253, Level: 35 Points: 3,253, Level: 35 Points: 3,253, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Whole Milk
_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
I understand that when you're new to the forums and you see all the guys lifting way more than you do, you might be tempted to exaggerate your lifts, but why can't you be honest and post your real stats? In the end, you're only hurting yourself. There's no shame in lifting less than the other guy. That's why I love weight lifting, unless you're competing, the only one you have to beat is you, at your last session. I don't think some young people understand that. Am i right?
I know I'm new, but I gotta chime in on this--I completely agree. There are several guys in my gym that do it in real life:

--"I hit a PR today, 350 bench."--Just a perfect example from a group of guys I know pretty well. The lifter who hit that PR is about 50 yrs old and 160 pounds, who worked out with a group that could genuinely lift that weight. I watched his spotters "help" him with the weight. After asking one of the spotters, it was made clear to me that they "help" him with just about anything heavy and let him think he is making progress. Not one among them though the guy could lift 225 8 times by himself.

--An endless parade of half-squatters that brag about their squat numbers and then squat down halfway, or down to a bench (just above parallel, then bounce off it). Those aren't squats at all. Deadlifters picking the weight up from pins set shin-high, seated military presses bein done so poorly that they are little more than incline-bench press--yet those are the numbers the lifters talk about.

Btw, the 350 bencher, I mentioned above--I challenged his spotters to stop helping him, telling them they weren't doing him any favors, to let him see what HE could really lift, that way he would know if he was making progress or not. Within a few weeks, he quit lifting with that group and started lifting with his teenage son (early beginner) at another time of day. He had figured out that he wasn't lifting the weight and his ego wouldn't let him workout with so much less than than those around him.

I know my own numbers are nothing great, but I also know that they are real numbers and they are great for me and I've never lifted so much so often. If someone else is lifting a lot more at my weight, then good for them. With or without "respect" from anonymous internet people or ego-deficient half-lifters in the gym, I'll still feel the same way about my lifts.
_J_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #3053
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

I think that if BtB visits one day, we need to go off to the gym/fitness zone to let him really put the barbell through its paces. I'm sure he could handle the "flash" induction that he'll have to take...and it would be awesome to watch and see if they even have enough plates in the gym

Thinking about this, I don't think they do most are the 10kg plates (??, must check this next time) with only 2 x 25kg, 2 x 20kg, 2 x 10kg, 2 x 5kg, and several 1.25kg; in theory, the barbell just won't have the space to put the plates working with such small loads.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #3054
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
I think that if BtB visits one day, we need to go off to the gym/fitness zone to let him really put the barbell through its paces. I'm sure he could handle the "flash" induction that he'll have to take...and it would be awesome to watch and see if they even have enough plates in the gym

Thinking about this, I don't think they do most are the 10kg plates (??, must check this next time) with only 2 x 25kg, 2 x 20kg, 2 x 10kg, 2 x 5kg, and several 1.25kg; in theory, the barbell just won't have the space to put the plates working with such small loads.
Bend some barbells!

It's always fun to load up a bar for power shrugs. I'm up to around 800, give or take.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #3055
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Bend some barbells!

It's always fun to load up a bar for power shrugs. I'm up to around 800, give or take.
Maybe then they'll invest in a second barbell. Hm, 800, I don't think they have that amount of plates in the entire centre Would be hilarious asking the staff for more plates though.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #3056
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I forgot about the tendency to have 3 spotters help the bencher lift the weight.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #3057
T-Bone
The Beardo Weirdo
Max Brawn
Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 7
Fav Exercise: Squat
T-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machine

"There's nothing wrong with being a large mammal." - Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison - The Doors (1991)

Sergey Krastio Trelawny
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #3058
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Hi.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:51 PM   #3059
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Old 10-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #3060
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I downloaded the Internet