Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Any thoughts on" Starting Strength" (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13990)

moeheep 06-09-2013 12:16 PM

Any thoughts on" Starting Strength"

My son, 21 yrs old, 6 ft 4 in, 295 lbs. Told me last night he knows he will always be big, but now wants to be big and strong. I do know he really likes the way I have completely changed my body composition and lifestyle.

However, I still consider myself a beginner, and am no way qualified to write him a program.

I want to steer him toward PowerLifting, without him knowing it, and my thoughts are, push SS as a great beginner "Strength Builder" and hope he catches the PL bug like I have.

At the same time...I dont want to push it if its not very good.

Any thoughts on your experience would be helpful and appreciated.

J_Byrd 06-09-2013 12:18 PM

Nothing wrong with the program. Should work well for him.

Off Road 06-09-2013 02:49 PM

It's a great program for a lot of guys. Though, I would make some tweaks to it if I had somebody starting it. I would not hesitate to cut the squatting down to twice a week when things started to get hard, and I do not like Power Cleans. I feel Power Cleans don't do anything special and there are far better lifts to build strength while being safer and easier to learn. So, I guess if you're one of those guys that says, "Do the program and don't change a thing", then I guess I don't like Starting Strength :)

Epinephrine 06-09-2013 03:23 PM

Starting Strength would be a good program for him to follow, IMO, but I agree with Off Road on the Power Cleans and Squats.

PC's really aren't the best choice for someone who wants to build strength/muscle who isn't an athlete (football, wrestling, etc.). Form is also a lot harder to nail for beginners. And being 6'4 is gonna make them even harder, lol.

Squats are great, but squatting 3 times a week at 85-95% of maximal strength will burn out anyone quick. I'd probably drop one squat day, or make the middle squat session an extremely light one just to get blood and nutrients flowing.

I think you should go with him to the gym one day and do a full-body workout and see which exercises he seems to like the most and build a program around those lifts. From personal experience it's a lot more fun to go into the gym and smash PRs at lifts you love rather than lifts someone else told you are good.

1Strength 06-09-2013 03:26 PM

I'd keep away from anything 5x5 or Rippetoe related lol... yeah, I'm the lone voice on this for sure haha

leefarley 06-09-2013 03:33 PM

i did starting strength once and I found squatting heavy 3 times a week, well heavy for me it starting to take its toll on me after a couple of months, and I dumped the power cleans and replaced them with bb rows.

SCStrong 06-09-2013 03:36 PM

I am certainly not an expert but I lik SS and Ripp.... I agree with off road on the squat frequency and power cleans. Ripp's vids helped me greatly on my deads and OHP's.

moeheep 06-09-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road (Post 372975)
It's a great program for a lot of guys. Though, I would make some tweaks to it if I had somebody starting it. I would not hesitate to cut the squatting down to twice a week when things started to get hard, and I do not like Power Cleans. I feel Power Cleans don't do anything special and there are far better lifts to build strength while being safer and easier to learn. So, I guess if you're one of those guys that says, "Do the program and don't change a thing", then I guess I don't like Starting Strength :)

Certainly not the "Do the program and don't change a thing" guy, if I was, I would not have asked for feedback.....and even though I still consider myself a beginner, after 1 year, I have learned a few things. One being, everything should be adapted when needed and all programs need to evolve as time goes by.

I value everyone's ideas and thoughts......please keep them coming!

Kuytrider 06-09-2013 04:35 PM

6ft4 and 295, damned genetic advantages :D

If I could start again, I would certainly be interested in Starting Strength though I agree that 3 x squatting a week is not strictly necessary at the start. Power Cleans are an exercise I love but are a bitch to learn.
The suggestion about the full-body session and finding exercises he likes is a sound one, it will improve his enthusiasm for sure. Just make sure he enjoys himself in there and who knows, he may get 'serious' and start piling on those plates!

J_Byrd 06-09-2013 05:45 PM

Didn't your son play college football? If so I am sure he knows how to power clean.

You could always just start him on BIG :D