Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!
Default Fat Gene...

This programme started last night on TV, and there are always gems to be had, alongside the common sense stuff:

Fat Family Tree: Christopher Stevens reviews last night's TV | Mail Online

"After four months on this regime, Tina and her daughters had lost between 1˝st and 3st each — proof that DNA is no match for determination."

The comment above reflects exactly what I took away from the programme.

The programme covered the fact that they were more inclined to eat fatty foods, and had less taste so required more food to satisfy their taste and certain other genes they found in relation to food, but...

...it all came down to eating too much, one way or the other, and doing too little exercise/movement during the day. When they were made aware of how much they should have been eating and encouraged to exercise more, they lost weight. I really expected no less, frankly.

I realise that certain nationalities have more of a disposition to higher bodyfat levels, it has been clearly shown, but this wasn't the case above.

Some, interesting facts came out of the programme, such as "after a morning spent walking the dog, the body is almost 40 per cent better able to process fat instead of dumping it in the bloodstream to clog up arteries." (found in the article quoted above). That was interesting...since they were given exactly 100g of fat in a meal and the experiment was done twice, once without exercise and the second time after the exercise, highlighting that after exercise, fat is not taken into the bloodstream on a level that it is with a non-exercise fatty meal (the first blood mix, showed clearly cloudy fatty looking plasma in the test tube, the second one was clear).

Last edited by 5kgLifter; 05-24-2013 at 08:28 AM. Reason: spelling
5kgLifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Great link and information, Babs!
Old 05-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Interesting. Morning walks will be started next month.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Morning walk to the bathroom, then the kitchen?

I couldn't resist

I do like this though. Dont blame your genes, just put in a little work!

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Aside from - obviously! - doing the best with what we have (e.g., genetics)...

Much of what we do in life, and of what happens to us, can alter our genetics.

A lot of people are still apparently unaware of this.

Certainly, I can understand why it would not be a popular discovery! So, after all, science betrays you anyway, and says that it's largely down to YOU, and WHAT YOU CHOOSE TO DO? Huh. Well, there goes this excuse and that excuse, aaaand... pretty much all of them, actually.

Casts nearly everyone in a different light, I think.

Sometimes, it takes a while (a looooong while...) for science to catch up with wisdom, common sense, and even widespread anecdotal data. But I know, that is the nature of the beast.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:25 AM   #6
SaxonViolence
Brawn
Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

SaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributor
Cool

Consider:

Present company is largely excluded.

However, most people aren't anywhere near as dedicated to their physiques as we are.

* 98% of people lack the Iron Will to quit eating while they're still hungry...

Not for a few weeks or months, during a diet; not for 3 or 4 years that will always be remembered with nostalgia as "Back when I was Thin..."

But for the rest of their lives.

Note:

The Chubby little housewife who feels "Too Fat" to wear a bikini will have no more success keeping that extra 15 pounds off over the long haul; than the Nascent Obese Dude will have keeping that extra 260 pounds off.

Neither will conquer their appetite for long.

Anyone ever watch the TV Show "House"?

One of Dr House's favorite Axioms is:

"Everyone Lies."

That may or may not be true.

However, I would opine:

98% of Humanity eats until they are satisfied at least 8 out of 10 years of their life.

{Excepting folks undergoing involuntary food deprivation-you know, like Famine and such.}

You know, that system—"Eat until you are satisfied"—works very well for perhaps 60% of the American Populace.

30% will live most of their lives carrying more fat than they'd like to—but they are at little risk of becoming Grossly Obese.

Then there's that 10% (I don't know the exact numbers) who will become grossly overweight simply by following what seems a Natural Instinct.

There is no Logic in pointing at them and saying:

"You weak-willed bastards!"

{Yes, being Obese is the foulest crime a person can commit—but not because it is first and foremost a "Failure of Willpower".}

If any of the other 90% of the Population's "Appestat" was set where the Grossly Obese's "Appestat" is set, they would have no greater success in resisting the siren call...

Not for a whole lifetime.

So why doesn't "Eat until you're satisfied" work for some?

That is the key question.

A dedicated Runner (like 35 miles a week or more); Triathlete; Wrestler; Martial Artist; Weightlifter; Powerlifter; Bodybuilder...

Or just general Fitness Fanatic...

Is willing to organize his life around the Gym (or his workouts); Frequent Weighing...

High Protein and either "Low Carbohydrate" or "Low Fat"...

Or perhaps "Moderation" but weigh every damned thing he eats on a postal scale...

And that's okay, because that's what we're into.

For whatever reason:

We Are DRIVEN!

And we want to smugly look down our nose at those who lost life's lottery and say:

"If you'd do what I do, you wouldn't be Fat—HMMMmm—PHfff!!"

Well hey,

They aren't qualified to do what we do.

They cannot do what we do.

Do you know why?

Because they are Not DRIVEN like we are by some internal pressure.

Sure they can diet and exercise for the short haul...

But they will inevitably falter over the long haul.

Only Saints can consistently embrace suffering and turn their backs on pleasure.

{Not Us. At least on some level, we like what we do.}

Sure, an occasional couch potato will turn out to have had a Fitness Fanatic inside all along—but that is rare.

Just ask yourself:

If your internal flame burnt out tomorrow...

{And listen:

It has happened to some of you.

How many of you confess that you had "Retired" for some years from the "Fitness Lifestyle" and somehow made a comeback?

When you "Retired" that internal flame had went out.

Fortunately for you, Something Rekindled it.

And I'll bet most of you can't put your finger on exactly what DROVE you back into the Race...}

If you couldn't rekindle you flame no matter how hard you tried...

How long would you continue in "The Fitness Lifestyle?"

I don't have a solution.

I have no product to sell.

I have no Agenda.

But it seems that many overlook the obvious.

Saxon Violence
SaxonViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
Kleurplaay
Max Brawn
Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
Aside from - obviously! - doing the best with what we have (e.g., genetics)...

Much of what we do in life, and of what happens to us, can alter our genetics.

A lot of people are still apparently unaware of this.

Certainly, I can understand why it would not be a popular discovery! So, after all, science betrays you anyway, and says that it's largely down to YOU, and WHAT YOU CHOOSE TO DO? Huh. Well, there goes this excuse and that excuse, aaaand... pretty much all of them, actually.

Casts nearly everyone in a different light, I think.

Sometimes, it takes a while (a looooong while...) for science to catch up with wisdom, common sense, and even widespread anecdotal data. But I know, that is the nature of the beast.
Although I agree with the overall message you are sending I, as a 'science mother****er' (as some might call me) have to correct something you said.

You can not 'change your genetics'. What is meant by genetics is what is in your DNA, how your muscles are attached to your bones, how big your cheekbones are, how tall you can grow. This is what is called your Genotype: your genetic makeup.

We also have the Phenotype, which is the total of all your observable physical characterics which can be influenced by your environment/lifestyle/etc. . Such as how tall you ACTUALLY ARE, how big your muscles are etc.

An easy way to describe the difference between phenotype and genotype is facial hair. You could have godly facial hair genetics, growing a fullblown awesome beard in a couple of days (genotype). But you will never have such a beard if you keep shaving it (altering your phenotype).

This is also closely related to the 'nature' vs 'nurture' debate.

That said I do not in any way encourage people to blame everything on their genetics. We are all born with certain genetics, some maybe more favorable than others, but it's what you DO with your genetics that's important in my opinion.

Last edited by Kleurplaay; 05-26-2013 at 08:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Kleurplaay is online now   Reply With Quote