Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Isometric Exercise Routine (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1365)

jhuse2 12-03-2009 02:52 PM

Isometric Exercise Routine

Hello All,
My name is James I have been workout out fairly well the last 3 months. I lift free weights without the use of a bench. I do pull ups and push ups. I run 3 miles two days a week. I am not seeing the results that I want so I started researching other exercises. I came across isometric exercises.

Can anyone or everyone help me come up with a good iso. exer. routine that i can do at home. I will appreciate any help.

Thanks, James

glwanabe 12-03-2009 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhuse2 (Post 13326)
Hello All,
My name is James I have been workout out fairly well the last 3 months. I lift free weights without the use of a bench. I do pull ups and push ups. I run 3 miles two days a week. I am not seeing the results that I want so I started researching other exercises. I came across isometric exercises.

Can anyone or everyone help me come up with a good iso. exer. routine that i can do at home. I will appreciate any help.

Thanks, James

Hi James,

Define, "fairly well". That could mean a lot of different things depending on who you are talking to. Post your entire workout routine, as well as what your long term goals are.

BendtheBar 12-03-2009 03:03 PM

I hate to respond with another question, but can you give me an idea of your goals and current physique. Are you overweight or underweight? How do you eat. And what are your goals? 5 to 10 pounds more muscle? To get ripped?

I just want to understand your situation a bit more before I give you advice that might now fit you.

You can do a lot with few exercises. I think we can get you on the right track.

jhuse2 12-03-2009 03:36 PM

Hello All:
I am 5'-11" tall. I weight around 175lbs - 180lbs.
I am looking to get physically strong and ripped. I really haven't changed my eating. I eat less portions now. I take multi-vitamins and using a protein drink after working out. I would like to weigh 180lbs. without the fat.

My weekly workout routine currently consists of:
Mon.- Wed. - Fri.: Free weight workout
Javorik Shoulder exercise: 10lbs./10 reps/3 sets
Dumb bell squats: 35lbsDb/10 reps / 3 sets
Lat pull overs using Exer. Ball.: 45lbs./10 reps / 3 sets
clean and press: 60lbs/ 8 reps / 3 sets.
Dumb Bell press using exerc. ball: 35lbs.dbs/ 15 reps / 3 sets
Db flys using exer. ball: 35lbs.dbs/ 8 reps / 3 reps

tues. & thurs.:
Run 2 - 3 miles
push-ups: 3 set/ 25 reps
pull-ups: 3 set / 15 reps
leg lifts: 3 set/ 15 reps
flutter kicks: 3 set/ 15 reps

I try to do want I can alone. I don't have a spotter and really don't want to hurt myself. I don't have the extra money to join a gym.

I hope this helps.
Thanks James,

BendtheBar 12-03-2009 04:15 PM

You can really maximize the weight by doing some rest pause sets...how much weight do you have for the dumbbells?

jhuse2 12-03-2009 04:49 PM

I have a set of DBs that can change from 5lbs to 25lbs. I have two 35lbs dbs. and I can put up to another 45 or 50 lbs. on another set of dbs. I have 65 lbs. on an ez bar. I have 60 lbs. on a straight bar. I also have 20lbs. on a rope tied to a bar for my forearms.

BendtheBar 12-03-2009 07:14 PM

One approach I would recommend for training is to use a solid, heavy weight for an exercise, rep out until about 8 reps, then rest for 30 seconds. Repeat this for 5 to 10 sets. If the weight feels still too light, you can so slow negatives on each rep, taking 6 seconds to lower the weight. This approach is a butt kicker, and definitely doesn't require super heavy weight.

Maybe some of the other guys have suggestions about the training.

Can you see any of your abs? Just trying to judge your bodyfat level...

jhuse2 12-03-2009 09:27 PM

I don't know how to judge body fat. You can see my upper abs slightly. You can also see part of the serrated muscles on the side of the ribs. I do have love handles. My waist measures 34.5" at the belly button. However, at my pant line I measure 30.5".

jhuse2 12-04-2009 10:11 PM

Does anyone else have any ideas? Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks, JH2

BendtheBar 12-04-2009 10:42 PM

If you have some abs, you don't have too much fat to lose. I might suggest a spike diet, where you eat about 2000 cals on non-training days, 2500 on training days, and 4500 to 5000 once a week. It's a solid approach if you're trying to cut, but still want normal food once a week.

I don't know anything about isometrics, but you could do a fullbody routine 2 to 3 times a week like this:

Dumbbell squats, 3 sets x 20 reps
Dumbbell Still Leg Deadlifts, 2 x 15 reps
Dumbbell bench, 3 sets x 10 reps possible supersetted with diamond pushups
Pullups supersetted with dumbbell pullovers
DB Rows
DB overhead press
Curls
Crunches

Something like this, even twice a week, would be very effective. And like I said, you can slow the rep cadence down to maximize the weight.