Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member
Default Neighbors Smoking Marijuana

I need help with a problem I am having. I bought a new house and have been living there a couple months now. Lately, the last 2-3 weeks, I have been often smelling a strong scent of marijuana. It is coming from my neighbor. They are smoking marijuana outside on there patio, about twenty feet from my patio/house. I am not sure what to do about it.

To be clear, I am not anti marijuana necessarily. I believe that if someone wants to use it in the privacy of there own home, that is ok. And I respect a persons right to do so. However, I also believe that it is the right of others to live in a comfortable, marijuana free environment if they so choose. Bottom line, they have the right to smoke it in there house, but I have the right to not have to smell it at mine.

The biggest personal issue I am having with it is I have a 2 year old son. I moved into this house, in this neighborhood to give him a better place to grow up. Well, this makes me sad to say, but I feel like because of this I have failed him by exposing him to this. This upsets me greatly and has been keeping me up at night.

I know I need to do something, but I don't know what to do. My primal instinct wants to take the aggresive route, tell them to keep that shit in there house or I'm going to beat there ass. But really, that will lead to no where but trouble. Plus I don't want to be "at war" with my neighbors. I mean come on, i need to be more civilized than that.
My Fiance has suggested we knock on there front door and talk to them. I agree this is a good approach. I just fear they are going to tell me to fuck off. And then what am I to do?
I thought about taking the nice but direct approach. Going over there with cookies, meeting them being nice, and then informing them that the weed smell is really strong when they smoke outside. Maybe they aren't even aware of it?
The last option would be to get the police involved, but that also could make a long term enemy.

Not sure what to do guys and gals. Any advice would be appreciated.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.

Last edited by BigJosh; 04-24-2013 at 10:36 AM.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
I thought about taking the nice but direct approach. Going over there with cookies, meeting them being nice, and then informing them that the weed smell is really strong when they smoke outside. Maybe they aren't even aware of it?

Not sure what to do guys and gals. Any advice would be appreciated.
That would seem the better approach, though you still can't guarantee that you'll get a postive reaction or how it will pan out afterwards.

It's a complex situation because with any scenario you choose to follow, you can't know what the reaction will be. Whichever course of action you choose, I hope it turns out okay.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
BigJosh
Max Brawn

BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
That would seem the better approach, though you still can't guarantee that you'll get a postive reaction or how it will pan out afterwards.

It's a complex situation because with any scenario you choose to follow, you can't know what the reaction will be. Whichever course of action you choose, I hope it turns out okay.
That is my dilemma. I don't know how it will turn out and I fear the worst.
If I were in there shoes, I would feel bad when the neighbor with a little kid told me they could smell it and I would change my behavior. But They could react belligerantly, I don't know.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
SeventySeven
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 1 year+
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Xtend
SeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machine

I would approach them and just explain your situation. If they turn out to be dicks youre only going to clash with them further down he road anyway so then i would take more aggressive measures.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventySeven View Post
I would approach them and just explain your situation. If they turn out to be dicks youre only going to clash with them further down he road anyway so then i would take more aggressive measures.
True.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Legally you have a right to a reasonable degree of clean air in your home, or to be free of nuisance. I don't know the legal mumbo jumbo, but I have heard cases where lawsuits have been threatened.

Neighbors File Lawsuit Over Smoker's Stench - Total Injury

The Smoker Next Door: Handling Unwanted Tobacco Smoke In Apartments And Condominiums - no-smoke.org

I would consider sending an anon, polite, but firm letter asking that steps be taken to reduce the problem, and mention that if there is no compliance, you would consider filing a lawsuit.

I know this isn't always possible, but it is an option if you feel comfortable.
That is a great bit of information. I may consider actually speaking with an attorney depending on what occurs.
The letter idea is also good. Kelly also suggested we do this. I struggle though whether our first and only interaction with them should be a letter. I do think the letter could and would be a very good way to get the point across without getting to emotional and worked up on my end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Or you could pleasantly talk to them and say the smoke is getting into your baby's room, and ask kindly if they could help prevent that.
That is the other approach. I figure you having older children have maybe been in similar situations and may have some good insight. I being a newer parent have not really had to deal with anything like this yet, it is somewhat new to me.
Anyway, honestly, the smoke it getting into the baby's room. Last night we had company over. We put the baby to bed in our room and had the window open. When I went to check on him, the room smelled of pot.
My heart sunk first, then I felt the rage second.
Then, when our company was leaving, you could smell the marijuana at our front door. It was very embarassing.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.

Last edited by BigJosh; 04-24-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Legally you have a right to a reasonable degree of clean air in your home, or to be free of nuisance. I don't know the legal mumbo jumbo, but I have heard cases where lawsuits have been threatened.

Neighbors File Lawsuit Over Smoker's Stench - Total Injury

The Smoker Next Door: Handling Unwanted Tobacco Smoke In Apartments And Condominiums - no-smoke.org

I would consider sending an anon, polite, but firm letter asking that steps be taken to reduce the problem, and mention that if there is no compliance, you would consider filing a lawsuit.

I know this isn't always possible, but it is an option if you feel comfortable.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Or you could pleasantly talk to them and say the smoke is getting into your baby's room, and ask kindly if they could help prevent that.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
IainK
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Hard work in a can
IainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machine

I def would not be happy about anyone doing anything that stunk out my house with an unwanted smell. Least not my sons room.

Try the 'softly, softly' approach. If that fails then seek whom ever agency would deal with this were you are. I would not be any more confrontational. Assertive yes, but no getting into big arguments etc etc. Give them no ammunition if they turn out to be idiots!

Here in the UK I'd call somebody from the local council. Not sure whether the police would involve themselves at this point?

TBH if the 'softly softly' approach doesn't work then they are ****s and deserving of wrath! Hopefully they just don't realize the smell is carrying and like any right minded person dose something about it of their own back.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainK View Post
I def would not be happy about anyone doing anything that stunk out my house with an unwanted smell. Least not my sons room.

Try the 'softly, softly' approach. If that fails then seek whom ever agency would deal with this were you are. I would not be any more confrontational. Assertive yes, but no getting into big arguments etc etc. Give them no ammunition if they turn out to be idiots!

Here in the UK I'd call somebody from the local council. Not sure whether the police would involve themselves at this point?

TBH if the 'softly softly' approach doesn't work then they are ****s and deserving of wrath! Hopefully they just don't realize the smell is carrying and like any right minded person dose something about it of their own back.
That's what I am going to try I think Iain. I just hope they are cool about it.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.