Muscle and Brawn Forums
 

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
J_Byrd
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
 
J_Byrd's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Johns, FL
Posts: 5,775
Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Reputation: 437042
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!
Default

I was actually on the other side of the fence before. We had an apartment in college. Some guys were smoking out back. Smell reached neighbors apartment above us. He came down, asked if they stopped. No worries, they apologized. He did guilt trip us into helping him move some furniture later haha.
__________________
Best meet lifts: 1040squat, 705 bench, 730 deadlift
Best total: 1040-680-730=2450
Pro Total@308

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp


"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #12
dossas
Senior Member
Brawn
Points: 931, Level: 16 Points: 931, Level: 16 Points: 931, Level: 16
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
 
dossas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 186
Training Exp: 3ish
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: My squat rack
Reputation: 15760
dossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributor
Default

Do you know if they are dealing/selling it, or just smoking for their own pleasure?? If they are dealing, I would be A LOT more careful, and possibly send in an anonymous tip to the police - before ever talking to them about it. If you ask them to stop and then the police show up, they know it's you. Otherwise, if they are just smoking for their own use, I'm sure they would understand if you explained your side of it...and maybe even mention that "you don't want to get anyone else involved"...they may even appreciate your candidness.
dossas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #13
LindenGarcia18
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
 
LindenGarcia18's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: London City UK
Posts: 1,794
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
Reputation: 64474
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast
Default

You and your family have the right to breath fresh air like btb said.
If they're reasonable people then they'll acknowledge if anything the impact it could have on your baby son.
I think the only thing you can do is approach them and ask them nicely if they'd stop.

Like 5K said, it seems every way you approach it could end badly, but playing it cool and calm is the best option to start off with. That way the balls in your court, and any confrontation was started by them if they decide to be ass holes about it.

So try the softy softy approach first. The worst that could happen is they ignore what you said and hurl abuse at you, but hopefully, and most likely if they have any decency they'll listen and stop.

Whatever happens, if they're understanding or not, one way or another you'll be able to stop the problem, and thats the important thing ,that your family isn't exposed to this.
I'm not really against weed either , but I know if I had a family to look after I'd be pissed off the same as you are.
Its a crappy situation to say the least, but having your neighbors hate you, if it comes to that, isn't as bad as your baby having to be exposed to this.

Besides, they'll probably back down once they notice your a jacked powerlifter to be honest, so I can't see them telling you to F*** off!
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #14
Bronco
Cool Guy
Brawn
Points: 1,448, Level: 21 Points: 1,448, Level: 21 Points: 1,448, Level: 21
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
 
Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 171
Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chicken
Reputation: 10202
Bronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributor
Default

just go over and ask them real nicely to knock it off.
it's usually best to assume they are reasonable people and have no idea it bothers you.

if they tell you to f- off, that's when you threaten to beat their ass.
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #15
23dodger
Junior Member
New Brawn
Points: 261, Level: 5 Points: 261, Level: 5 Points: 261, Level: 5
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 21
Reputation: 510
23dodger has made some quality posts23dodger has made some quality posts23dodger has made some quality posts23dodger has made some quality posts23dodger has made some quality posts23dodger has made some quality posts
Default

I guess first I would take the nice approach, and tell them your concerns. If they do not wish to cooperate, then you move on to the bigger guns.
23dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #16
kitarpyar
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
 
kitarpyar's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,723
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Reputation: 121086
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member
Default

My vote goes for the nice approach. If it stops, well and good. If not, it is still not a wise idea to threaten anyone - instead a chat with an attorney would then be in order. The way I see it, if the nice approach doesn't work, it's best to take an approach that brings a swift and conclusive end to the confrontation. I understand how you feel, but displaying anger will only make the situation worse.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #17
BigJosh
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
 
BigJosh's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 4,034
Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
Reputation: 241051
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainK View Post
I def would not be happy about anyone doing anything that stunk out my house with an unwanted smell. Least not my sons room.

Try the 'softly, softly' approach. If that fails then seek whom ever agency would deal with this were you are. I would not be any more confrontational. Assertive yes, but no getting into big arguments etc etc. Give them no ammunition if they turn out to be idiots!

Here in the UK I'd call somebody from the local council. Not sure whether the police would involve themselves at this point?

TBH if the 'softly softly' approach doesn't work then they are ****s and deserving of wrath! Hopefully they just don't realize the smell is carrying and like any right minded person dose something about it of their own back.
That's what I am going to try I think Iain. I just hope they are cool about it.
__________________
Zdravko Veselin Gaeta

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #18
BigJosh
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
 
BigJosh's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 4,034
Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
Reputation: 241051
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
I was actually on the other side of the fence before. We had an apartment in college. Some guys were smoking out back. Smell reached neighbors apartment above us. He came down, asked if they stopped. No worries, they apologized. He did guilt trip us into helping him move some furniture later haha.
When I hear stories like this I can't help but to feel a bit relieved. Hopefully they will be cool when I confront them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dossas View Post
Do you know if they are dealing/selling it, or just smoking for their own pleasure?? If they are dealing, I would be A LOT more careful, and possibly send in an anonymous tip to the police - before ever talking to them about it. If you ask them to stop and then the police show up, they know it's you. Otherwise, if they are just smoking for their own use, I'm sure they would understand if you explained your side of it...and maybe even mention that "you don't want to get anyone else involved"...they may even appreciate your candidness.
I really don't think they are dealing. There isn't much if any traffic at the residence. I think they are just recreational users.
I really am trying to change my mentallity from assuming the worse to assuming they will be understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
You and your family have the right to breath fresh air like btb said.
If they're reasonable people then they'll acknowledge if anything the impact it could have on your baby son.
I think the only thing you can do is approach them and ask them nicely if they'd stop.

Like 5K said, it seems every way you approach it could end badly, but playing it cool and calm is the best option to start off with. That way the balls in your court, and any confrontation was started by them if they decide to be ass holes about it.

So try the softy softy approach first. The worst that could happen is they ignore what you said and hurl abuse at you, but hopefully, and most likely if they have any decency they'll listen and stop.

Whatever happens, if they're understanding or not, one way or another you'll be able to stop the problem, and thats the important thing ,that your family isn't exposed to this.
I'm not really against weed either , but I know if I had a family to look after I'd be pissed off the same as you are.
Its a crappy situation to say the least, but having your neighbors hate you, if it comes to that, isn't as bad as your baby having to be exposed to this.

Besides, they'll probably back down once they notice your a jacked powerlifter to be honest, so I can't see them telling you to F*** off!
It's good to know I'm not being unreasonable. I feel, they have the right to smoke, we have the right to not be exposed to it. Great post. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
just go over and ask them real nicely to knock it off.
it's usually best to assume they are reasonable people and have no idea it bothers you.

if they tell you to f- off, that's when you threaten to beat their ass.
That's what I'mve toing to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23dodger View Post
I guess first I would take the nice approach, and tell them your concerns. If they do not wish to cooperate, then you move on to the bigger guns.
That's what I'll do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
My vote goes for the nice approach. If it stops, well and good. If not, it is still not a wise idea to threaten anyone - instead a chat with an attorney would then be in order. The way I see it, if the nice approach doesn't work, it's best to take an approach that brings a swift and conclusive end to the confrontation. I understand how you feel, but displaying anger will only make the situation worse.
Great advice. This is exactly what I'll do. If they aren't responsive I will seek help from a legal professional.
__________________
Zdravko Veselin Gaeta

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #19
SecondsOut
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
 
SecondsOut's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 779
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
Reputation: 68942
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast
Default

dude, that sucks that you have to deal with this. i know where you're coming from and why this is a concern. i'd feel the same thing: wanting to eliminate the issue ASAP but in an appropriate way. it's so difficult to know the proper way of handling these things. it's tough when you know you're willing to kick ass if necessary -- which would definitely send a strong message -- but that this would probably make things worse. then you wonder if more polite gestures will even be effective -- and you're only being polite in the first place for the sake of the neighbors.
i hope this gets resolved quickly and doesn't become a long, drawn out issue for you. i doubt this helps, but i think it's inconsiderate and selfish of your neighbors to do that out in the open. sure, smoking pot might not be morally wrong, but they should have the wherewithal to realize that their neighbors might be uncomfortable and offended by it, especially out in the open.

Last edited by SecondsOut; 04-25-2013 at 01:15 PM.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smoking tonpaulerc Muscle Building and Bodybuilding 11 12-26-2011 11:52 AM
Are they smoking crack!? Shadowschmadow General Board 15 11-30-2011 07:25 AM
Smoking around children BendtheBar General Board 16 08-12-2011 04:04 PM
Sitting Vs. Smoking BendtheBar General Fitness & Health 1 06-09-2011 04:38 PM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.