Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Zero TV Homes (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13244)

BendtheBar 04-08-2013 09:14 AM

Zero TV Homes

News from The Associated Press

Quote:

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Some people have had it with TV. They've had enough of the 100-plus channel universe. They don't like timing their lives around network show schedules. They're tired of $100-plus monthly bills.

A growing number of them have stopped paying for cable and satellite TV service, and don't even use an antenna to get free signals over the air. These people are watching shows and movies on the Internet, sometimes via cellphone connections. Last month, the Nielsen Co. started labeling people in this group "Zero TV" households, because they fall outside the traditional definition of a TV home. There are 5 million of these residences in the U.S., up from 2 million in 2007.

Winning back the Zero TV crowd will be one of the many issues broadcasters discuss at their national meeting, called the NAB Show, taking place this week in Las Vegas.
We've considered dumping cable TV. I enjoy watching shows when I want to watch them and have so many options and apps that I pretty much can. We'd almost rather pay $15 for a TV series when we want it than to give cable $100 a month for programming we rarely watch.

The only thing holding us back is the cable company. If we dump the TV end of things they jack up Internet and phone to make up the difference. We have no other Internet options out here so changing isn't possible.

bruteforce 04-08-2013 10:15 AM

We don't have any cable programming. Just Netflix and the internetz. I like it that way, don't think I'll ever get cable TV. I just can't handle commercials.

Mac 04-08-2013 10:45 AM

I got rid of my cable TV a while back when I was on temporary layoff from work and they told me I could keep the box and use their freeview option. So I'm just paying for my internet and phone, maybe their a little less greedy in the UK. That said I can't remember the last time I watched something on my TV anyway, I prefer sitting at my pc.

Soldier 04-08-2013 11:22 AM

Once you dump cable and use other avenues to watch TV it's hard to go back. We just watch netflix. Our new TV has wifi so we don't even need to use our Wii any more to stream it. When you combine the price with no commercials it doesn't get much better.

Zero TV for life, or until I have a lot more money than I have now.

dossas 04-08-2013 11:26 AM

Totally understandable.

We have this stupid tier system where you get a block of channels where only a handful are what you might want...and the other channels you like... are in a different tier!!

BendtheBar 04-08-2013 12:00 PM

We were discussing how nice it would be if we could just pay for the programming we want on cable. TV channel X for $3.99, channel Y for $2.99, etc.

They are still living in 1988. This is an options and apps generation.

EliteDreams 04-08-2013 12:12 PM

I enjoy streaming dat Netflix. Only thing is I must wait months and months to see shows others have finished :(

SaxonViolence 04-08-2013 01:01 PM

When I was getting evaluated for my Disability, the Psychiatrists asks me:

"What do you watch on TV?"

I got a blank Fish-Eyed stare when I said:

"Mainly Anime."

"What?"

"You know, Japanese Cartoons."

I don't think that she got the concept and I wonder how that effected my Evaluation...

I also like Bollywood...

Saxon Violence

bamazav 04-08-2013 09:37 PM

I would miss my live sports, but am considering changing to zeroness.

KCStrongmanben 04-09-2013 09:26 AM

We dumped cable about a year and a half ago. Netflix and Internet. No way I'd go back. The only thing I miss is ESPN for college football season