Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:34 PM   #1
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!
Default Why don't more people carry a knife?

Before I go on I will make this clear: This is not the place for a silly weapon or self defence argument.

My knives are precious tools that I'm attached to, much like pets or cars. Sitting here on the couch in my robe pocket is a little 2" blade. I've fixed fuse boxes and took off license plates with my multi-tool, cut fruit with my knife, chopped kindling with a heavier one, made roasting sticks, cut thread, fishing line and pizza.

I use my knives every day. And every time someone asks to borrow one I always ask why they don't have one. It is usually a shrug and a moan instead of an actual answer.

So I implore you to invest $40 or whatever into a nice Cold Steel, SOG, Gerber, Case, Schrade or Winchester or whatever catches your eye. See how much it helps out opening those pesky bags of jerky, cardboard boxes or thick plastic packages. Try a Werner or Victorinox or Leatherman!

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I've had the same Kershaw knife since 1981. Love that little knife.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:54 AM   #3
SaxonViolence
Brawn
Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

SaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributor
Cool

I never go anywhere with A Knife.

I have two Buck Lockbacks that I wear, one on either hip.

Why?

I was doing maintenance on a processing line that included bagging machines that made their own bags from sheet plastic.

When they got jammed, I often had to cut out a lot of plastic and I never knew which hand would be free and which hand would be tied up holding a wad of plastic sheet.

{And they make great handles for pulling up my pants...}

I carry a knife (a Boker) that the NRA sent me some years ago in my pocket. It has several nice pointy blades that are good for small work like popping a tiny blister or digging out a splinter.

I have a very old and beaten up Case—It has a couple rough blades that I don't mind using to cut a wire or scrape something.....Something that would be ruinous to a good blade.

I used to have a Gravity blade that I liked to carry just to play with when I was bored. The blade was fairly flimsy, dull and not of the sort to be worth stropping and sharpening...

But it is pretty and shiny.

I don't know why, but I started leaving him at home.

I'd like to replace the Gravity Blade with a nice Balisong—but good ones ain't cheap and cheap ones aren't worth having. I want one with Mother of Pearl Grips if possible—probably have to go custom.

So at any rate, four knives is my bottom limit for walking around.

I had a friend who invariable sliced his sandwiches in half before eating. He always carried one dedicated knife that he used for no other purpose but to slice his sandwich—that way he always knew that it was clean and sterile.

"Silly"?.?.?.

Saxon Violence
SaxonViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:01 AM   #4
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Fav Exercise: PRs
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Well as far as sterile mine are not...

I have a 6" Cold Steel folder in my front right pocket. I've cut green tree branches and small logs and it still shaves hair. Left side is an old Sog folder for most things and also a small fixed blade for a wallet decoy.

I've got a well used Kobalt tool with both a smooth and heavy serrated blade plus a slot for refiller razors I like to use at work.

Sometimes I carry any number of 3-7 inch fixed blades.

If I'm benching I have one in a front pocket and at least the other 2 out in the vehicle.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:29 AM   #5
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

in the uk you can get arrested for carrying a knife.
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:01 AM   #6
IronWill
Max Brawn
Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
IronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beast

I've carried a knife in my pocket for as long as I can remember.
IronWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:19 AM   #7
sleepingdog
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: Heavy bar work
sleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributor

Got a Kershaw Speedsafe in my pocket and a gerber on my belt right now. I also carry two firearms to lunch though, so my opinion may be skewed.

Personal tips that I've learned along my still short journey:

Leave your ego at the door.
Prepare. Showing up dehydrated, hungry, and tired will guarantee failure.
Be ready to fight for that grinder of a PR.
Listen and learn. Absorb everything you can, and assimilate that knowledge.

Top Gym lifts:
Squat: 415lbs
Deads: 440lbs
Bench: 315lbs
sleepingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #8
Beverly McD
Max Brawn
Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: Since 1987
Beverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machine

I carry one.
I've used it a time or two to cut lifters out of their suit when they go down at a powerlifting meet.
Beverly McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:07 AM   #9
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

When I was involved in CSI, I used to carry a "leatherman" tool. Not just a knife but multipurpose tool. Very handy.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:08 AM   #10
RGRthat
Brawn
Points: 907, Level: 16 Points: 907, Level: 16 Points: 907, Level: 16

Training Exp: none
Training Type: Chaos & Pain
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Muscle Marinade
RGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributor

I always carry a Gerber (not the multi-tool). I work in a hospital so they said I should carry siccors but I have never pulled out my knife and thought "damn if only I had some siccors." The only time it's not in my pocket is when I'm hiking and then I have a hatchet on my belt (a habit from the Army Rangers).
Deadlift 425
Snatch 155
Clean & Jerk 225

Drunk RGR Training http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-training.html
RGRthat is offline   Reply With Quote