Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast
Default Lifting Just For...Fun?

Over the past 10 months I have really just been lifting for the fun of things. If I stopped enjoying it tomorrow, I would stop doing it. Somewhere around...well, when I started, I had a dream that I now have turned into a hobby. I had a dream of being the biggest bodybuilder, to the best powerlifter, and then the best weightlifter. Not long after that, I had a dream again of being the best powerlifter. Around January of 2012 I dreamed of being the World's Strongest Man while still doing my powerlifting training and sometimes incorporating strongman-esque things into my training. Then around late April I realized, this is not what I'm going to school for. This isn't truly what I want to do. I don't want to be on testosterone for life. I hadn't started that, but I knew the plunge I would have to take in a couple of years if I were to truly pursue those goals I may never reach. I wanted to do something else with my life and just lift. Just lift for fun.

I didn't lose those dreams out of fear of not reaching them. I just realized that they were not what I truly wanted to do. Sure, I'd like to step on a powerlifting platform again one day. One day when I am much stronger. I just want to lift for fun. If what I'm doing isn't the best or most efficient method for progress, that's ok. I enjoy it. When I stop enjoying it, I'll change it up. I know and have seen a lot of kids my age make the world in the gym their lives- and good for them. A lot of them have dropped out of their university. Some not even going to a community college and working a minimum wage job, but their life is the gym. And good for them if this is what they really want to do. That life sounds great in a way, but it isn't for me.

So, does anyone else in here merely lift for fun? It seems too often we put such a focus on a goal for every little thing we do that there isn't much fun in things. Progress is what makes lifting weights fun- no doubt. Although, my lifestyle isn't what it was. You know, the gym rat lifestyle or whatever where life is lift, eat, eat, sleep. I tend to get more enjoyment out of lifting now. If I miss a rep? Well, next time. If I end up being the strongest guy by accident? Great. I'd love it. I just lift because I can. There's no goal in mind other than being bigger and stronger. I no longer have to miss activities with my friends or family because it's 11 o'clock at night, gym at 9 in the morning. I just have fun. Anyone else? Or am I delusional about what the gym is for?
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
muscletom
New Brawn
Points: 232, Level: 4 Points: 232, Level: 4 Points: 232, Level: 4
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

muscletom has made some good postsmuscletom has made some good postsmuscletom has made some good postsmuscletom has made some good postsmuscletom has made some good postsmuscletom has made some good postsmuscletom has made some good postsmuscletom has made some good posts

I lift because I think that it is fun. But there are some serious benefits to doing it as well for me. I feel better, look better.
muscletom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
northernbulk
Max Brawn
Points: 710, Level: 14 Points: 710, Level: 14 Points: 710, Level: 14

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: bench
Fav Supp: Whey iso
northernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributor

i love lifting
Old 03-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

It has to be fun or I wouldn't do it. . .kind of like I don't do cardio consistently because it's not that much fun.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
Davis
Max Brawn

Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

Agreed with every bit.

I guess I didn't drive the point across clearly. My mistake. The actual question was supposed to be "Does anyone else here lift with no defined goal?". Most people on forums seem to have goals other than just look better or be stronger so it made me curious. I think I just got side tracked a little bit in the original post.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I think without goals there will be little progress.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
themaster2981
Max Brawn
Points: 3,153, Level: 34 Points: 3,153, Level: 34 Points: 3,153, Level: 34
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Training Exp: 3 years serious
Fav Exercise: All
Fav Supp: Desi Ghee
themaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
Agreed with every bit.

I guess I didn't drive the point across clearly. My mistake. The actual question was supposed to be "Does anyone else here lift with no defined goal?". Most people on forums seem to have goals other than just look better or be stronger so it made me curious. I think I just got side tracked a little bit in the original post.
Davis, by mistake I thanked you for the post, I just wanted to quote it. Anyway, no offense intended, but for most of the members on MAB, lifting/ bodybuilding/ fitness is serious business. Serious business involves stiff targets, specific mindset, goals. The sport is not fun but a mission. A mission to progress, a mission to continuous improvement.

IMO, you may get to compete or you don't compete, but gym cannot be fun. My experience says,"aimless beginnings have abrupt ends." It becomes utterly meaningless to go to gym for fun.

Patience is of course the key, but always do your best. Give yourself goals and time. The basic nature of gym is goal orientated, nobody can escape that.

All the best.

"Move me out of the away so that someone else can lift": Ed Coan after injuring himself during a squat attempt of 970 lbs in 2002

POWERLIFTING - ABSOLUTE POWER
themaster2981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:13 PM   #8
Davis
Max Brawn

My only goal is to be stronger. That's not much of a real goal in my opinion. My lifts have increased quicker since this has been my mindset. Maybe my idea of a goal is different than others.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:26 AM   #9
ffemtny
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,842, Level: 25 Points: 1,842, Level: 25 Points: 1,842, Level: 25

ffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributor

I probably would have quit long ago if it wasn't fun and enjoyable on some level. With that said there has been a goal from the day 1 of lifting, be it to get stronger/ tougher looking, definition , etc. Now I lift to maintain/ gain strength so I can work as paramedic and volunteer as a firefighter as I get older and hopefully lose some weight to boot.
ffemtny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #10
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

People have a misconception that when someone is lifting for fun that that equates to them not being "serious" about it at the same time; it's possible to lift for fun and be serious without being stuck in a rut and being mega-serious.

I've been ad lib lifting for the past few months, due to illness, but that's not to say it isn't serious even though it's fun; I'll easily pump out a very sufficient ad lib session which I enjoy and benefit from.

Being serious about lifting, to me, means that everything is set; keeping it fun means getting good and even great sessions in with a more flexible approach. As long as both work, that's the point.

To push people to be more serious (when mostly they're consistent and serious enough to be making progress anyway, as they are) can easily push some away...at least they have the motivation through enjoyment, how many have left the weight purely because they no longer enjoy them and those people are getting absolutely nothing at all whereas the people enjoying their training, be it flexible or ad lib in relation to more set approaches, are at least both working out and making progress.