Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #11
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

I'm wondering if I should go back to doing all those extra lifts according to energy levels, time, and whatever else...

It seemed to be working, and it can be more fun that way. Liberating, I guess.

Keeping the primary lifts under control makes a lot of sense though.

In response to the OP, I doubt I'll ever compete in anything of any kind. Started way too late with no background in strength training or even fitness at all, not built for benching big (for example), etc. So yeah, it could be I'm just lifting "for fun". Actually, for strength and mass, and looks, and health.

I'll see how that goes...
Old 03-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #12
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I agree with 5kg, there is no reason for everybody that lifts to fit into one mold. I've seen it too often where someone doesn't bench with what is considered proper form, then that person is deemed an idiot. Or my favorite, they didn't lift on a stage so their PRs don't count. If they ask for advice on something particular, then that's another matter entirely and we can share our knowledge. But if they are just sharing their knowledge, then be supportive. Not everybody's goals are the same. Rant over. . .
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:32 AM   #13
RGRthat
Brawn
Points: 907, Level: 16 Points: 907, Level: 16 Points: 907, Level: 16
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: none
Training Type: Chaos & Pain
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Muscle Marinade
RGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributor

I love to see people in the gym. It is good to see people wanting to change something and then just doing that, it is a rare trait in today's society. So if you have a goal or just enjoy the health talk, whatever keeps you coming back is good enough.

That said I will always have a goal in the gym because that is what keeps me going. I love competing with myself, hitting a new PR, and the feel of sore muscles. That doesnt mean that I think everyone should do the exact same thing, just that everyone should be doing something.
Deadlift 425
Snatch 155
Clean & Jerk 225

Drunk RGR Training http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-training.html
RGRthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

i would say lifting is fun and worthwhile hobby, but saying that i have clear goals why i lift, i want allot more strength then the average person and i want more muscle then the average person i might compete in powerlifting or bodybuilding one day who knows, every time i lift i want to beat what i did in my last workout either if it is by 1 or 2 reps but ultimately i want more weight on the bar.
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #15
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
My only goal is to be stronger. That's not much of a real goal in my opinion. My lifts have increased quicker since this has been my mindset. Maybe my idea of a goal is different than others.
I think your idea of goals for yourself and goals you perceive in others is different.

"Be stronger" is a goal. Since your lifts are increasing, you are obviously measuring them, so you are making both sort and long term goals in terms of weights lifted too.

I think you are thinking since you no longer want to be a champion powerlifter, you don't have a serious goal, but I think you do have a serious goal and you are going about making it happen. The only difference is you have changed your time frame. Instead of worrying about every session, you just go and "have fun", but presumably make each session as good as it can be so you continue to progress. Sounds good to me. You have to have balance in life.

The only problem I see is that if you lose focus and keep letting yourself miss sessions or reps too many times, you will go backward and without a time frame to get yourself back on track, you might stop having fun because progress isn't there anymore.

I lift for fun too. I also don't worry if I miss session or a lift as I'll ge it next time. I only set specific goals so that there's still a sense of urgency towards achieving them. For me that is going to meets. Without that, I would probably drift and make excuses. But that's just me.

However, don't think that because I compete that I expect to be a champion or that I'm not having fun or I'm all testosteroned out and only live to eat and sleep and lift or whatever because in reality I'm doing exactly the same thing you are.

I think you maybe just see it differently.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #16
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

I believe you have it, MikeM.

As far as missed reps or sessions, that rarely happens. Since I'm more so auto regulating now, if I come in with a certain number of sets or reps and I know I can't get those numbers, I'll change it if I have to. It just means I need to get stronger for the next time. Wendler said something along lines of having to bench 230 before you can bench 235.

But yeah, no progress would make it pretty boring. Thankfully I'm still progressing.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote