Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:09 AM   #1
themaster2981
Max Brawn
Points: 3,153, Level: 34 Points: 3,153, Level: 34 Points: 3,153, Level: 34
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Training Exp: 3 years serious
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: All
Fav Supp: Desi Ghee
themaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beast
Default Last one year and Self Realization

It was early hours of 11th March 2012, I was spending time on youtube watching random videos. That used to be my favorite pastime then. I lit my 18th cigarette, never knew that would be my last. Suddenly, randomly, I clicked on a "Pain of Powerlifting" video and Kirk Karwoski started doing some hard talk at the beginning of the video.

He said "I am on a mission here, don't be in here talking about how many chicks you banged on saturday night at that keg party, while I am in here training."

Powerlifting, the sport I though I would never pursue. All I knew about it till March 2012 was that the powerlifters lift heavier than anybody else and that they carry some extra fat on their bodies. This half knowledge was due to my 2 years of serious run in the gym back in 2003-2004 when I pursued bodybuilding. I came down to 3-4 sticks a day during these 2 years but it never went out completely. I had to discontinue training due to my masters, gym disappeared, but smoking prevailed.

Between 2009 and start of 2012, I had roughly gained 20 kgs or 44 lbs. I worked in a corporate and sat whole day on a chair. During the same time, I started doing some random fitness work in the gym. The gym was an office gym with basic fitness equipment, machines, tread mills, elliptical trainers and dumbbells. One thing I always thought and I could never do was to quit smoking. With fitness work 3-4 times a week, I was smoking normally about 15- 20 sticks a day. Did it help? Nonsense.

I started smoking in the year 1999, aged 18. It was always an acquired taste as no one in my immediate family smoked.

Kirk's intense talk sent a bell ringing inside my head, before sleeping that night, I thought of quitting. Was that going to be one more futile attempt to quit? That remained to be seen.

I went to office next morning, all colleagues were smoking chimneys. I turned down their requests of coming to smoking room that day and managed the first day without the stick. Nothing new, I had quit before so many times for weeks and went back. Next day too, I managed and the next one too. The colleagues got insecure about it and one asked me, have you quit? Something inside asserted it, I said "Yes". Then I got a reply, "you will not be able to". I said "trying won't harm". That one remark of "you will not be able to" struck me.

I had asserted, and now it was on me to continue with this quitting streak or get back to that shit again. It would have been embarrassing to go back to smoking room, for sure. Honestly, the first week was pure hell and as the time passed by, it became overbearing on me. Insomnia, disturbed sleep, lack of appetite, severe headaches, vomiting, coughing and bad digestion.

I did everything what kept me away from thinking of the stick. I did thorough internet research and researched on weekly phases after an individual quits smoking. I followed what the websites said. Colleagues did not leave a single stone unturned to get me back to smoking room. Grand failures, I must say.

As time passed, I realized what failed me in all my previous attempts. It was the FEAR, fear of the future. How will I spend 50 years (say) of my remaining life without cigarettes? This burden made me go back to cigarettes again and again. I decided to change this thinking, I took 1 day at a time, then 1 week and then 1 month, and it started working for me. It became a month, then 2 and then 3.

As time passed, it was more difficult to get back to smoking due to the fear of a wasted effort. The bets were high, I did not want to lose months of hard work within a minute or two. By then, I had also realized that it was in my reach and that I cannot undergo that pain of quitting again. So, I kept on going on the no smoking track.

During the 1st month of this struggle, one thing I did daily and that was to watch the video "Pain of powerlifting". That kept me inspired and strong. I had already decided by then that to pursue this sport. I started lifting in April 2012, about same time I joined MAB. I did a lot of research on lifting, the goals of the sport and its pre requisites. One thing I especially liked about powerlifting was the non existence of the age factor, unlike other sports. You can start at whatever age you want. Plus the simplicity of the sport.

Given the conditions then I had only one option, that was the office gym. Powerlifting gave me purpose of the training, a new dimension. I took out a random 3 days a week lifting routine from the web. Random fitness bull was out, and I started with stiff targets. I trained with dumbbells only, but that did not stop me. It was not rocket science to understand the importance of the bar if you want to pursue powerlifting. But, I kept on doing dumbbell versions of the routine.

I wanted to be busy and did not want to think about smoking at all. As my training progressed, I realized, the routine was more strenuous than what I followed back in 2003 - 2004. This extra effort which I put kept me going in the gym. I used to crash in my bed after eating and started leading a disciplined life. Since then, I never looked back.

I gained another 22 lbs after I quit smoking, as my appetite started to rise with training. I did not bother much about it. I weigh about 205 lbs at 5.10 height.

Today, I train with a bar in a new gym, in a new environment. Enjoying lifting like never before. I do not pick a lot of weight like other MAB members, but I am strapped to lifting for life. Weight will come with time, I know that. I' m still working on my basics.

My wife loves me more, as I am healthier. She congratulated me this morning. I save more money for my family, now. As we all know how much cigarettes are taxed all over the world. Today, I am celebrating one year "tobacco free", not a single stick in the entire year. Sounded impossible, but its a reality. I still fail to believe it.

I smoked for the period 1999-2012, a colossal waste of valuable years.

The biggest problem with smoking is that it is socially acceptable, unlike drugs. You may stop being with a guy who does drugs like coke, heroin, GHB, Ketamine etc, but you may not quit the guy who smokes tobacco. So tobacco smokers get a big excuse to continue being tobacco smokers. It becomes more difficult to quit tobacco.Tobacco is no less than some drug, that's a fact and it should be condemned by the society equally.

Meanwhile, I learned that, I am my biggest enemy and I am my biggest friend.

I am the master of my fate and I am the master of infinite possibilities.

I am themaster2981.

I want to thank all the MAB members, especially, Steve, Ravi, 5kglifter, Jen, Robmori, Begota, Elitedreams, JB, Bruteforce, seventyseven, irishhitman, Richknapp, Ltl, Markievicz, cutty, Kuyt, Gaspers, Ryano and MC. These people have been very inspirational and kept me going all these months.

And now its time for me to do something which has been on my mind for sometime. I want to apologize to an Elite MAB member who is known as Fazc for a stupid argument ensued on a thread last May 2012. It was stupid on my part to take the debate that further without understanding what Fazc meant. I respect Fazc and hold him in high regards due to his achievements in lifting. Sorry for what I have done.

"Move me out of the away so that someone else can lift": Ed Coan after injuring himself during a squat attempt of 970 lbs in 2002

POWERLIFTING - ABSOLUTE POWER

Last edited by themaster2981; 03-11-2013 at 12:54 AM.
themaster2981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast
Thumbs up

congratulations on hitting the 1 yr. mark, bro. you're truly strong for overcoming the addiction
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:00 AM   #3
themaster2981
Max Brawn

themaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondsOut View Post
congratulations on hitting the 1 yr. mark, bro. you're truly strong for overcoming the addiction
Thanks SO

"Move me out of the away so that someone else can lift": Ed Coan after injuring himself during a squat attempt of 970 lbs in 2002

Old 03-11-2013, 01:04 AM   #4
themaster2981
Max Brawn

Old 03-11-2013, 01:18 AM   #5
IrishHitman
Max Brawn
Points: 6,200, Level: 51 Points: 6,200, Level: 51 Points: 6,200, Level: 51
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 8
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Chili Oil
IrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beast

Congrats on one year, brother. Big accomplishment there.

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards."
~Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

1 March 2014
SQUAT: 650 lbs
BENCH: 340 lbs
DEADLIFT: 580 lbs
TOTAL: 1570 lbs
IrishHitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:00 AM   #6
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

Congrats on giving up the smokes,
And also for the positive changes you have made in your life, great work master

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 2

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:10 AM   #7
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Say no more themaster2981, it's in the past.

Best of luck with your goals. Let me know if I can help
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:54 AM   #8
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Brilliant stuff and great write-up! All I can say is congrats on a tremendous smoke-free year and to many, many more of them

Getting it done one session at a time.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #9
nacho
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,453, Level: 21 Points: 1,453, Level: 21 Points: 1,453, Level: 21
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Supp: Eggs
nacho is a lifting machinenacho is a lifting machinenacho is a lifting machinenacho is a lifting machinenacho is a lifting machinenacho is a lifting machinenacho is a lifting machinenacho is a lifting machinenacho is a lifting machinenacho is a lifting machinenacho is a lifting machine

Congrats man, mental strength is above all.
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
themaster2981
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishHitman View Post
Congrats on one year, brother. Big accomplishment there.
Thanks IHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markievicz View Post
Congrats on giving up the smokes,
And also for the positive changes you have made in your life, great work master

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 2
Thanks big Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Say no more themaster2981, it's in the past.

Best of luck with your goals. Let me know if I can help
Hey man, glad you managed to read this thread and found my apology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
Brilliant stuff and great write-up! All I can say is congrats on a tremendous smoke-free year and to many, many more of them
Thanks Kuyt, thanks for the support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
Congrats man, mental strength is above all.
Thanks Nacho, you are right.