Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast
Thumbs up Checked Out a Westside Gym Today!

I was sitting here this morning browsing MaB when it occurred to me how much I hate my commercial gym. I Googled "powerlifting gym" and my zip code. There weren't many hits, but I found one. Almost zero information published on the web, so I called the number.

A guy picked up: "Hello?"
Me: "Uh...is this the gym?"
"Yeah..."
"Oh, okay...what are your membership rates?'
"We don't have membership rates. We're not a commercial gym. You have to go to LA Fitness or Bally's."
"Oh...so it's private? I can't lift there?"
"No, it's not private, but all lifting here is supervised."
"Oh..well, I'm interested in powerlifting and I'm trying to find a better gym. The gym where I am now is like LA Fitness. I'm not that strong, though [I told him my PRs, body weight, and age]."
He then seemed a bit difficult, like not inviting at all but not telling me to go to hell either. I asked, "Can I come there?"
"When do you want to come? We have a girl training here now who squats more than you."
"I'll come right over."
"Fine. I guess we'll see you when you get here."

Long story short, one of the trainers showed me the place, talked about Westside, and we watched the girl do her dynamic squats on the monolift. Dudes, they have E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G at this place! It's like a powerlifting/strongman playground! Tires, sleds, sledgehammers, farmer's walk things, a yoke, a slosh pipe, every kind of bar you can or can't imagine, a reverse hyper station (yes!), and of course tons of bands and chains!

Only thing is I won't be able to train however I want: I have to follow the gym's routine. Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? My "tryout" begins Monday @ 4:00 p.m. -- speed bench day. If the owner doesn't like me, I'm not allowed to sign on.

Last edited by SecondsOut; 03-09-2013 at 05:01 PM.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
Hazzard
Max Brawn
Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Pizza
Hazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good posts

Receptionist/dude that answered the phone sounds like a dick. Gym sounds awesome, it's just up to you whether you want to train on their schedule or your own.

Also, good use of GIFs, keep it up.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

First thing, walk in and nut the receptionist.

The gym sounds great though, good luck!
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Awesome man! Sounds to me like they're giving you a chance and that is all u can ask for. Good luck.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Well, if you believe in the system they're using, then go for it! There's nothing better for improving in a certain area than working with people who are ahead of you.

Screw the guy on the phone though. He speaks as if everyone who trains there never had to be weak before they were strong. We all started weak!
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Im going against the grain to say I like the receptionists approach. If you let a phone call get under your skin you probably wouldn't thrive in the environment (that particular gyms environment). I hope that you smash your try out and kick some PR ass in the new facility. Congrats and Good Luck Buddy!

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #7
cromlet
New Brawn
Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

cromlet is off to a good startcromlet is off to a good startcromlet is off to a good start

Give it a shot. That is all you can do. If you do not like it then you know that it was not meant to be.
cromlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

It's their gym but after you play the game for a month or two, they may let you do more of your own thing....

So, they run Westside "by the book" without variations?

I can't imagine they have only one strongman routine, etc...

If you can join short term, give it a try....you'll learn something!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
SecondsOut
Max Brawn

SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
Also, good use of GIFs, keep it up.
thanks, i hope it enhanced your quality of life today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
First thing, walk in and nut the receptionist.
The gym sounds great though, good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
Awesome man! Sounds to me like they're giving you a chance and that is all u can ask for. Good luck.
thanks guys. yeah, that's my feeling. i'll just do my best and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Well, if you believe in the system they're using, then go for it! There's nothing better for improving in a certain area than working with people who are ahead of you.
they seem legit, and they have some sort of authorization directly from Louie Simmons (he had to come out to spend time with the gym to see how it's run) to call it a "Westside" gym. apparently a lot of athletes train there, and there are also lots of hot powerlifting/figure competition chicks there hah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspers04 View Post
Im going against the grain to say I like the receptionists approach. If you let a phone call get under your skin you probably wouldn't thrive in the environment (that particular gyms environment). I hope that you smash your try out and kick some PR ass in the new facility. Congrats and Good Luck Buddy!
yeah, he wasn't very kind, but i'm too old to notice stuff like that lol. they can razz me all they want as long as i get access to that awesome gym.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
It's their gym but after you play the game for a month or two, they may let you do more of your own thing....
that's a good way of looking at it.

Quote:
So, they run Westside "by the book" without variations?

I can't imagine they have only one strongman routine, etc...

If you can join short term, give it a try....you'll learn something!
well the trainer didn't spill the beans on everything, but the girl's routine looked to be pretty standard Westside. as far as i could tell, this was her w/o today:

dynamic effort squats (they always squat to a low box, which i dislike immensely. i like my hamstrings-to-glutes form): 10 x 2 x 55% 1-RM (115 + orange bands [80 lbs. resistance])

deadlift (with bands on some weird multi-purpose machine): ? x 4-5 x 100 + 1 orange band

GHM

wide-step sled work (she had 2-35-lb. plates on it)

She is 5 weeks out from a meet in Ohio. Another girl from the gym competed at RUM. The trainer guy who I talked said he went from skinny to squatting 700 (with briefs + belt) over the years while at this gym.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #10
SecondsOut
Max Brawn

oh yeah, forgot to mention that the dude suggested i watch the "So You Think You Can Squat/Bench/Deadlift?" videos by Matt Winning/Elite FTS on YouTube as a preview of the kind of feedback i can expect to get on Monday