Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine
Default Working out at home

Who works out at home?

For christmas i'm possibly planning on asking for a barbell and some plates.

this would allow me to to deadlift and pretty much do my whole pull day at home. Also i could get some friends to lift with me (but they dont have a gym membership so they cant now.)

What are you opinions on training at home? benefits? downsides?

any other points?

GO!
also any recommended websites/ brands/ ect. ?
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
Old 11-20-2009, 10:36 PM   #2
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

I work out at home, and I would not have it any other way. My garage is still a bit of a mess right now, but I have carpet that goes down on the floor.

Here is a few pics of my stuff. I can do everything I need to with just this.

With just a good barbell, you can still do a hell of a lot. You have to work hard at it, but isn't that the plan anyway?
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:44 PM   #3
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

GL,

i wish i had your set up, even though many would call it simple.

With a Barbell and Plates alone i could do my whole strength pull workout. Soon i'm going back to a more simple routine (grim's basic one) and i could do 1.5 days a week from home.

The freedom to crank loud ass music, lift shirtless (seems it'd be a nice free feeling), YELL MY ASS OFF!,and workout with my friends all seem like good reasons to do this.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:59 PM   #4
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

I've only got about 500 invested in that stuff. The 2x4 board you see in the first picture is what I do calf raises on. There is also a leg attachment for the bench, but I rarely use it. You can also see the white stands in the background. Those are pvc pipe parallette bars for gymnastic strength moves. You can also see my rings hanging off the lat tower in the background.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:12 PM   #5
RickB
Max Brawn
Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

RickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good start

I have a gym membership, but I have lots of stuff at home too:
Power rack with Low and High Cable attachments
Bench
Preacher Curl Seat
Calf-raise machine
Leg Ext/Leg Curl machine
2 Olympic bars + one EZ curl bar
over 600lbs of plates.

But I still prefer to go to the gym. I push myself harder I guess because I made the trip to get there
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:17 PM   #6
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
I have a gym membership, but I have lots of stuff at home too:
Power rack with Low and High Cable attachments
Bench
Preacher Curl Seat
Calf-raise machine
Leg Ext/Leg Curl machine
2 Olympic bars + one EZ curl bar
over 600lbs of plates.

But I still prefer to go to the gym. I push myself harder I guess because I made the trip to get there
i'm very jealous,
i would defiately still go to the gym. Its a nice way to get out on the week nights.

My gyms just been real crowded and filled with the "curl crowd" more than ever this month. Its really getting annoying, so i wouldnt mind getting the barbell. the only reason i havent decided is that with all the money i could get a lot of other shit and its not like i cant workout now.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #7
RickB
Max Brawn
Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

RickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good start

Well, I work out at lunch during the week usually. The company I work for pays my membership. I bought my stuff for my boys and for me if I miss a day @ lunch, I can pick it up at home.

The curl crowd LOL! I don't have a lot of that at my gym, but then again, there's very few of us that lift heavy that go there. Most others are doing therapy or just trying to stay more fit.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:27 PM   #8
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Well, I work out at lunch during the week usually. The company I work for pays my membership. I bought my stuff for my boys and for me if I miss a day @ lunch, I can pick it up at home.

The curl crowd LOL! I don't have a lot of that at my gym, but then again, there's very few of us that lift heavy that go there. Most others are doing therapy or just trying to stay more fit.
in my gym there are new random people all the time as well.

They just randomly decide to show up one day. Now i'm all about out of shape people working out(i used to be 170 and fat), but when i never see them again i get pissed that i had to deal with them that day.

I hate not being able to squat because there are people doing curls right near the cage and i'm afraid to wack them with the bar. they of course are oblivious to be and have there iPod cranked. however i just remember, they need those 15 lb db curls to "get teh hyoge bizepts".

sorry about that little rant... what is the topic of this thread again
Old 11-21-2009, 01:39 AM   #9
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman025 View Post
GL,

i wish i had your set up, even though many would call it simple.

With a Barbell and Plates alone i could do my whole strength pull workout. Soon i'm going back to a more simple routine (grim's basic one) and i could do 1.5 days a week from home.

The freedom to crank loud ass music, lift shirtless (seems it'd be a nice free feeling), YELL MY ASS OFF!,and workout with my friends all seem like good reasons to do this.
dude mine is even more simple

2 barbells
1 ez curl bar
3 dumbbells
255ibs of plates
a bench

thats it, im going to buy an olympic bar soon, and will add more weight as needed
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:13 AM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman025 View Post
Who works out at home?

For christmas i'm possibly planning on asking for a barbell and some plates.

this would allow me to to deadlift and pretty much do my whole pull day at home. Also i could get some friends to lift with me (but they dont have a gym membership so they cant now.)

What are you opinions on training at home? benefits? downsides?

any other points?

GO!
also any recommended websites/ brands/ ect. ?
Do it! Home gyms are the best.

Benefits...

--You can do all the basic exercises for a relatively low cost.
--You can workout whenever you want.
--No driving.
--No posers in the squat rack.
--You control the music.
--Most equipment lasts a VERY long time. A great investment.

Downsides...
--Money, Initially it takes about $1500 to build a full gym.
--You don't get to do any "fancy boy" exercises like pec dec or leg press.
--No hot chicks on the stairmaster.

EQUIPMENT

I wrote this article a while back. BTW, I own all the equipment in that article.

How to Build a Basic, Low Cost Home Powerlifting and Weight Training Gym

Stick with New York Barbell.

New York Barbells

Everything they sell is good quality for those with a lower budget.

--Sumo Squat Rack. At only $320, this is the best single piece of home equipment a lifter can get. You can do squats, rack deadlifts, pin presses, seated presses, curls, on and on and on. It's heavy duty, and has handle repeated abuse with weights over 400-500 pounds.

In addition, it's not super tall and fits anywhere. Even in small basements.

--7 foot barbell. 1000 pound capacity. $150.

--Threaded dumbbell bars. 18″ threaded bars can hold 120 pounds with ease. Extremely flexible, and hardcore. Easy to lock and very stable. COST = $30 per set of 2.

--Olympic plates. This is the most costly aspect of the gym, if you squat and deadlift 400+. Over $600 smackers.

--Super bench. The super bench is the perfect compliment to the sumo rack. Pull the bench into the rack for bench presses, overhead pressing, or incline presses. Move the bench out (on its convenient wheels) and use it for DB rows, DB bench presses, or seated DB curls. The super bench adjusts to near vertical, and also features 4 adjustable seat positions. The super bench has a 1,000 pound capacity. COST = $250

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote