Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!
Default Computer whizzez...help...

I have a question for all of those, and only those, that know what the deal is on this. We have someone visiting tomorrow who is interested in how people get into other people's email address books and are able to send spam to their friends without their knowledge, so I figured I'd ask people that may know.

I did come across one article in which someone had stated that he was trying to work out how his address book details were being used but he listed a whole lot of sites and organisations that had his email address, though to me, that's not quite the same as having access to your address book...and if it is, surely they also have access to every email a person has ever sent, or is that not the case?

• Do companies that people register with (i.e. Facebook, Google+, forums, shopping accounts etc) have a way to pass on email address book into to 3rd parties?
  • Does the email account provider pass on details, leak details, store such details etc?
  • How can people even access the contents of the address book?
  • How do people even access address book info, if these things are supposed to be secure?
  • Last of all, what is the best way to get around it and hopefully avoid it, if that's even possible?
Old 02-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Do companies that people register with (i.e. Facebook, Google+, forums, shopping accounts etc) have a way to pass on email address book into to 3rd parties?
They have a way but it's generally illegal unless you agree before signing up. No reputable site does this.

Most email contact lists are hacked via trojans. I get 2-3 emails a day from people that were hacked and don't know it, because of my large contacts list.

Much of this comes from illegal downloads, fringe pron sites, hacked sites, etc.

Most people never update their virus protection, nor run scans. They remain vulnerable to browser hacks, which happen very frequently. I would wager 60% of the people on the forum have a trojan and don't know it

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
They have a way but it's generally illegal unless you agree before signing up. No reputable site does this.

Most email contact lists are hacked via trojans. I get 2-3 emails a day from people that were hacked and don't know it, because of my large contacts list.

Much of this comes from illegal downloads, fringe pron sites, hacked sites, etc.

Most people never update their virus protection, nor run scans. They remain vulnerable to browser hacks, which happen very frequently. I would wager 60% of the people on the forum have a trojan and don't know it
Illegal downloads, by the computer user/owner, you mean? Hacked sites, I don't comprehend . But, with the person in mind, if it's from her point of view, none of those would be applicable.

And she frequently updates her virus protection and has scans, which the computer server (??) does automatically, a few times a week.

That's what's confusing, every safeguard (that she's aware of), that's possible (including not visiting weird sites or downloading weird stuff) has been put into place.

Thanks for the reply though.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
Goat
Max Brawn
Points: 3,004, Level: 33 Points: 3,004, Level: 33 Points: 3,004, Level: 33
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: MEAT
Goat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machine

One can scan until the cows come home, if the malware, keystroke logger, ect. Hasn't been identified yet it wont matter.

Does your friend use a secure password? Passwords should be long, complicated and changed often.

If your friends computer has been compromised then, everything on your friends computer would be vulnerable. Passwords could easily be found and used, in fact every thing could be done from the hacked computer remotely. If some one is good enough to hack your machine then they are probably good enough to cover their tracks.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country.One is by the sword.The other is by debt. - John Adams
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
1morerep
Max Brawn
Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast

ck this link...is going around

SSHD Rootkit

540/385/515 (previous meet)

http://www.metalmilitia-va.com/

Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go!!!

1MOREREP 2014
1morerep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat View Post
One can scan until the cows come home, if the malware, keystroke logger, ect. Hasn't been identified yet it wont matter.

Does your friend use a secure password? Passwords should be long, complicated and changed often.

If your friends computer has been compromised then, everything on your friends computer would be vulnerable. Passwords could easily be found and used, in fact every thing could be done from the hacked computer remotely. If some one is good enough to hack your machine then they are probably good enough to cover their tracks.
No idea about the secure password, but somehow I imagine so.

The stupid thing is the emails being sent to her freinds are spam, sales gimmicks basically to get the recipient to follow their link...etc, nothing more, and I'm assuming that following their link would open up the recipients to issues whereas the address book info is all that's being used from the source comp with no other issues; that's why I wondered if people could be passing out address book info which should be securely stored at a database (??)...I'm not up with all the lingo and whatnot.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
No idea about the secure password, but somehow I imagine so.

The stupid thing is the emails being sent to her freinds are spam, sales gimmicks basically to get the recipient to follow their link...etc, nothing more, and I'm assuming that following their link would open up the recipients to issues whereas the address book info is all that's being used from the source comp with no other issues; that's why I wondered if people could be passing out address book info which should be securely stored at a database (??)...I'm not up with all the lingo and whatnot.
The link emails are the most common. I would wager there is a 99.99% chance this came from a compromised website. It could be any website, even very "clean" ones (non pron or downloads).

I would get some Walware are run them to see if they pick up anything not picked up by the anti-virus.

Brute Force could probably recommend one or two.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #8
begota
Brawn
Points: 4,620, Level: 43 Points: 4,620, Level: 43 Points: 4,620, Level: 43
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

begota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributor

It is easy to grab someone's email address and then run a password cracker. They would then in turn have access to the email contacts. There is also another way of grabbing someones cookie data while they are signed in to their email. Using that packet data, I can then log on as you. Not sure if that helps. I don't think going into it too much deeper would be benefical...
Old 02-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1morerep View Post
ck this link...is going around

SSHD Rootkit
Missed this post, yesterday, when typing my response; thanks for the link.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by begota View Post
It is easy to grab someone's email address and then run a password cracker. They would then in turn have access to the email contacts. There is also another way of grabbing someones cookie data while they are signed in to their email. Using that packet data, I can then log on as you. Not sure if that helps. I don't think going into it too much deeper would be benefical...
Thanks Begota, probably best not to go deeper, yep.