Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:20 AM   #1
Dork McSchlorp
Uber Brawn

Dork McSchlorp is off to a good startDork McSchlorp is off to a good startDork McSchlorp is off to a good startDork McSchlorp is off to a good start
Default Bodybuilding FAQ - Staying Lean vs. Gaining Tons of Weight to Gain Muscle

Question: Bodybuilding FAQ - Staying Lean vs. Gaining Tons of Weight to Gain Muscle I’ve been hearing about how some bodybuilders really bulk up in the off-season easting whatever they want, to the point that they even get fat, in order to make the best muscle gains. Even though I am not looking to compete, I [...]

More...
Dork McSchlorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2009, 07:19 AM   #2
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

i agree with hugo, that you shouldn't get to fat during a bulk, but due to individual variances i prefer to pick a BF% range for the off season, mine is 10-15%, and stay there, if you start to dip below eat more, if you get a little over cut back, my body runs well at this level because i am not naturally lean
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:02 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Here's some information on my preferred bulking approach for those that are abs OCD.

Bulldozer Bodybuilding Bulking System

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
Grim83
Max Brawn

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
Here's some information on my preferred bulking approach for those that are abs OCD.

Bulldozer Bodybuilding Bulking System
I like this idea, its very similar to what i recommend to intermediate and advanced trainees who want to stay fairly lean while packing on size, i typically tell them to do a heavy bulk for 3-4weeks and then cut hardcore for 3weeks. one thing you didn't note is the rebound effect of a cycle like this where when you ramp the calories back up after a period of deprivation the body will be in a sponge like state, and the extra calories will be more likely to be soaked up for muscle and other bodily functions than to go straight to fat like normal. notice im not talking about the extra calories that are already used for these function, but the ones that arent, more of them will go to these functions than to fat prouction

No Bullshit no problems

Old 11-19-2009, 09:36 AM   #5
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

I plan to stay on my current course till March. Right now I'm basically cycling two heavy calorie weeks, with two normal weeks. The scale has remained fairly consistant over the last several months, but body shape, and size has changed.

In March I will go on a more pronounced cut cycle to get close to about 12%.
Not looking to get way lean, but to reduce the waist down.

finish later, kids issue.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Based on the latest studies, it really looks like the micro-cycling of bulks is a good approach for those that want to stay lean.

For guys like me - I prefer the Dave Tate, John Christy, Doug Hepburn approach...eat big, lift big, get big fast.

The two biggest growth spurts i had in my life were when I was eating like a buzz saw.

But, some people don't respond like I did.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:52 AM   #7
swoleramon
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

swoleramon is new to the forumswoleramon is new to the forum

So you guys talk a lot about the old guys like Reeves and Park. Anyone know their diet approach? Did they even talk in terms of bulking or cutting, or did they just lift and eat?
Old 11-19-2009, 10:04 AM   #8
Grim83
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoleramon View Post
So you guys talk a lot about the old guys like Reeves and Park. Anyone know their diet approach? Did they even talk in terms of bulking or cutting, or did they just lift and eat?
reeves i know liked to stay in shape as much as possible, but i think park didn't mind a little extra fat as long as he got muscle and strength in return. check out classic physique builder, the website is cool, and the free ezine has some good stuff to

No Bullshit no problems