Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member
Default i am stuck

well i am bit confused if i am on the right routine for my goals as some of you my know i am currently doing the reeves classic, my goals are simple there are just to build size and strength, i am not going to be a competitive bodybuilder or a powerlifter, so am i on the right routine or is there something more suitable for me or doesn't it really matter.
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarley View Post
well i am bit confused if i am on the right routine for my goals as some of you my know i am currently doing the reeves classic, my goals are simple there are just to build size and strength, i am not going to be a competitive bodybuilder or a powerlifter, so am i on the right routine or is there something more suitable for me or doesn't it really matter.
Progression is what you want. Unavoidable regardless of goals.

The question then becomes one of finding a routine that you enjoy. There are many right routines that can help you reach your goals.

Is there one more suitable for you? Most likely.

I guess the starting point here would be what type of training do you prefer, and are there any things about the Reeves that you don't like?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
leefarley
Max Brawn

leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Progression is what you want. Unavoidable regardless of goals.

The question then becomes one of finding a routine that you enjoy. There are many right routines that can help you reach your goals.

Is there one more suitable for you? Most likely.

I guess the starting point here would be what type of training do you prefer, and are there any things about the Reeves that you don't like?
well i like fullbody so no problem there, basicly it feels that i am holding back on the reeves like just adding a few reps a workout when i feel like going for max reps, i would perfer to use a rep goal, would it be to much over the week on a fullbody like the reeves to use a rep goal and just push for reps on every set.The other thing about the reeves there seems to be more pressing movements to pulling movements, iam not question the design of it just thinking why.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
well i like fullbody so no problem there, basicly it feels that i am holding back on the reeves like just adding a few reps a workout when i feel like going for max reps, i would perfer to use a rep goal, would it be to much over the week on a fullbody like the reeves to use a rep goal and just push for reps on every set.The other thing about the reeves there seems to be more pressing movements to pulling movements, iam not question the design of it just thinking why.
Balance is always a good thing.

I would pair things down to the bare minimum, set up a good rep goal for each exercise, and then build in the isolation/minor body part work. PM me if you want some ideas.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Steve's comments are very good...

Quote:
my goals are simple there are just to build size and strength
Not always so simple... What I learned is that you have to pick ONE goal and kill it.

If you pick strength, you will gain some size, but most likely only when you break through a prior strength limit.

If you pick size, you may gain nominal strength, but will, by the nature of bodybuilding, not be able to use weights that push your strength significantly.

I think strength is the better pace to start (and it's generally a simpler routine). Then after a period, use the increased strength to bodybuild with bigger weights.

Quote:
i am not going to be a competitive bodybuilder or a powerlifter
Start thinking longer term...you are both and still have to beat your own records to advance! That's the hardest competition there is! Sometimes, training for an imagined "competition" is a motivator. Set a deadline for size, and weight and it may help you to stay motivated.

For example: "My raw PL total will be over 1000 by dd/mm/yyyy." Or: "I will add an inch to arms & calves and 2 inches to thighs by dd/mm/yyyy."

Warning: You still win or lose, even if there is no one else around.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
mr_bigmuscles
Max Brawn
Points: 3,064, Level: 34 Points: 3,064, Level: 34 Points: 3,064, Level: 34
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: about a year
Fav Supp: meat
mr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributor

I looked over your log and you don't look stuck to me - looks like you are making nice and steady progress. If I were you I'd stick with what's working.

Get your bench/squat/dead to 120/180/225 for reps (kg, of course) and then worry about bodybuilding.

That being said, it does look like your routine is push-heavy. Looks like you have 3 kinds of pressing, but only 1 pull, in each workout. Might swap out the dips for pullups, chins, or another kind of row to help keep things balanced.

Log

Last edited by mr_bigmuscles; 02-14-2013 at 06:57 PM.
mr_bigmuscles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
leefarley
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bigmuscles View Post
I looked over your log and you don't look stuck to me - looks like you are making nice and steady progress. If I were you I'd stick with what's working.

Get your bench/squat/dead to 120/180/225 for reps (kg, of course) and then worry about bodybuilding.

That being said, it does look like your routine is push-heavy. Looks like you have 3 kinds of pressing, but only 1 pull, in each workout. Might swap out the dips for pullups, chins, or another kind of row to help keep things balanced.
thanks mrbigmuscles, i am not stuck i just had a funny 5 mins i was a bit peed of with holding back on my proggression on this routine, i cant stick to a set rep scheme hence the rep goal i use, and you are right the routine is a bit push dominate, hence the extras row i have put in, yeah pullups would work good too, i was ment to say INGNORE THIS THREAD.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
Bill
Max Brawn
Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine

the CUBE.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
mr_bigmuscles
Max Brawn
Points: 3,064, Level: 34 Points: 3,064, Level: 34 Points: 3,064, Level: 34
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: about a year
Fav Supp: meat
mr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
thanks mrbigmuscles, i am not stuck i just had a funny 5 mins i was a bit peed of with holding back on my proggression on this routine, i cant stick to a set rep scheme hence the rep goal i use, and you are right the routine is a bit push dominate, hence the extras row i have put in, yeah pullups would work good too, i was ment to say INGNORE THIS THREAD.
Well hey you got something out of this thread, so that's good.

Log
mr_bigmuscles is offline   Reply With Quote