Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   i am stuck (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12462)

leefarley 02-12-2013 01:43 PM

i am stuck

well i am bit confused if i am on the right routine for my goals as some of you my know i am currently doing the reeves classic, my goals are simple there are just to build size and strength, i am not going to be a competitive bodybuilder or a powerlifter, so am i on the right routine or is there something more suitable for me or doesn't it really matter.

BendtheBar 02-12-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leefarley (Post 323846)
well i am bit confused if i am on the right routine for my goals as some of you my know i am currently doing the reeves classic, my goals are simple there are just to build size and strength, i am not going to be a competitive bodybuilder or a powerlifter, so am i on the right routine or is there something more suitable for me or doesn't it really matter.

Progression is what you want. Unavoidable regardless of goals.

The question then becomes one of finding a routine that you enjoy. There are many right routines that can help you reach your goals.

Is there one more suitable for you? Most likely.

I guess the starting point here would be what type of training do you prefer, and are there any things about the Reeves that you don't like?

leefarley 02-12-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 323850)
Progression is what you want. Unavoidable regardless of goals.

The question then becomes one of finding a routine that you enjoy. There are many right routines that can help you reach your goals.

Is there one more suitable for you? Most likely.

I guess the starting point here would be what type of training do you prefer, and are there any things about the Reeves that you don't like?

well i like fullbody so no problem there, basicly it feels that i am holding back on the reeves like just adding a few reps a workout when i feel like going for max reps, i would perfer to use a rep goal, would it be to much over the week on a fullbody like the reeves to use a rep goal and just push for reps on every set.The other thing about the reeves there seems to be more pressing movements to pulling movements, iam not question the design of it just thinking why.

BendtheBar 02-13-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leefarley (Post 323854)
well i like fullbody so no problem there, basicly it feels that i am holding back on the reeves like just adding a few reps a workout when i feel like going for max reps, i would perfer to use a rep goal, would it be to much over the week on a fullbody like the reeves to use a rep goal and just push for reps on every set.The other thing about the reeves there seems to be more pressing movements to pulling movements, iam not question the design of it just thinking why.

Balance is always a good thing.

I would pair things down to the bare minimum, set up a good rep goal for each exercise, and then build in the isolation/minor body part work. PM me if you want some ideas.

jdmalm123 02-13-2013 05:02 PM

Steve's comments are very good...

Quote:

my goals are simple there are just to build size and strength

Not always so simple... What I learned is that you have to pick ONE goal and kill it.

If you pick strength, you will gain some size, but most likely only when you break through a prior strength limit.

If you pick size, you may gain nominal strength, but will, by the nature of bodybuilding, not be able to use weights that push your strength significantly.

I think strength is the better pace to start (and it's generally a simpler routine). Then after a period, use the increased strength to bodybuild with bigger weights.

Quote:

i am not going to be a competitive bodybuilder or a powerlifter

Start thinking longer term...you are both and still have to beat your own records to advance! That's the hardest competition there is! Sometimes, training for an imagined "competition" is a motivator. Set a deadline for size, and weight and it may help you to stay motivated.

For example: "My raw PL total will be over 1000 by dd/mm/yyyy." Or: "I will add an inch to arms & calves and 2 inches to thighs by dd/mm/yyyy."

Warning: You still win or lose, even if there is no one else around.

mr_bigmuscles 02-14-2013 06:51 PM

I looked over your log and you don't look stuck to me - looks like you are making nice and steady progress. If I were you I'd stick with what's working.

Get your bench/squat/dead to 120/180/225 for reps (kg, of course) and then worry about bodybuilding.

That being said, it does look like your routine is push-heavy. Looks like you have 3 kinds of pressing, but only 1 pull, in each workout. Might swap out the dips for pullups, chins, or another kind of row to help keep things balanced.

leefarley 02-20-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_bigmuscles (Post 324853)
I looked over your log and you don't look stuck to me - looks like you are making nice and steady progress. If I were you I'd stick with what's working.

Get your bench/squat/dead to 120/180/225 for reps (kg, of course) and then worry about bodybuilding.

That being said, it does look like your routine is push-heavy. Looks like you have 3 kinds of pressing, but only 1 pull, in each workout. Might swap out the dips for pullups, chins, or another kind of row to help keep things balanced.

thanks mrbigmuscles, i am not stuck i just had a funny 5 mins i was a bit peed of with holding back on my proggression on this routine, i cant stick to a set rep scheme hence the rep goal i use, and you are right the routine is a bit push dominate, hence the extras row i have put in, yeah pullups would work good too, i was ment to say INGNORE THIS THREAD.

Bill 02-20-2013 10:06 AM

the CUBE.

mr_bigmuscles 02-20-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leefarley (Post 326900)
thanks mrbigmuscles, i am not stuck i just had a funny 5 mins i was a bit peed of with holding back on my proggression on this routine, i cant stick to a set rep scheme hence the rep goal i use, and you are right the routine is a bit push dominate, hence the extras row i have put in, yeah pullups would work good too, i was ment to say INGNORE THIS THREAD.

Well hey you got something out of this thread, so that's good.