Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Fantasy heavyweight boxing matches (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12257)

Tannhauser 01-20-2013 03:38 PM

Fantasy heavyweight boxing matches

Rules:

1. Suggest a fantasy boxing match, preferably between heavyweights from 60s-90s (otherwise I can't play)

2. Matches are between the two boxers at their respective peak

3. Suggest who would win and why.

I start: Mike Tyson vs George Foreman

My take (though I don't claim to know what I'm talking about):

This is a tough one to call. Foreman was one of the heaviest hitters of all time, and a huge strong guy that would manhandle people around the ring, setting them up for his huge looping punches. If he could put Tyson down, he might have it won, as Mike never came back well from being put down. On the other hand, he wasn't exactly noted for his defence. I can see Tyson really punishing him for that, counter-punching effectively against Foreman's untidy attacks. And a prime Tyson is a very tough target to hit.

On balance, I think Tyson wins six times out of ten.

BigJosh 01-20-2013 03:50 PM

Tyson/ali would have been interesting. Could he rope a dope tyson and not go unconscious?

leefarley 01-20-2013 04:00 PM

tyson vs frazier both short stocky heavyweights my money is on tyson.

Kuytrider 01-20-2013 04:44 PM

I'd have to respectfully disagree on Tyson vs Foreman Tann. Foreman was a force of nature and was outsmarted and psyched out by Ali IMO. Tyson is not in the ballpark of being as smart as Ali. More importantly, prime Tyson won many fights through sheer fear. Foreman would not have been afraid of Tyson and my verdict would be a Big George KO victory in the mid rounds.

I'd have like to have seen prime Liston vs prime Tyson without mob interference. Tough to call as they were similar but I'd go with Liston in a fight that could go either way. It would end in a chilling KO either way though!

Other fantasy matches from other weight classes: (Sorry couldn't resist)

Roberto Duran vs Floyd Mayweather @ lightweight
Duran via late KO. Mayweather is a brilliant fighter but would never have coped with Duran's ferocity. Duran is probably the greatest ever 135er.

Carlos Monzon vs Marvin Hagler @ 160 Middleweight
Monzon via close decision? Actually very hard to call. Two all time greats in battle. I can't separate them since both fighters had very few weaknesses in their respective primes and went on long unbeaten runs after bad early starts.

Trevor Ross 01-21-2013 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannhauser (Post 314706)
Rules:

1. Suggest a fantasy boxing match, preferably between heavyweights from 60s-90s (otherwise I can't play)

2. Matches are between the two boxers at their respective peak

3. Suggest who would win and why.

I start: Mike Tyson vs George Foreman

My take (though I don't claim to know what I'm talking about):

This is a tough one to call. Foreman was one of the heaviest hitters of all time, and a huge strong guy that would manhandle people around the ring, setting them up for his huge looping punches. If he could put Tyson down, he might have it won, as Mike never came back well from being put down. On the other hand, he wasn't exactly noted for his defence. I can see Tyson really punishing him for that, counter-punching effectively against Foreman's untidy attacks. And a prime Tyson is a very tough target to hit.

On balance, I think Tyson wins six times out of ten.

Tyson loses every single time. No swarmer would ever beat Foreman. Big George had a rock chin, grit, ring smarts, and KO power in either hand. Watch Smokin Joe vs Foreman to get the big picture. Tyson and Frazier had the same type of style.

leefarley 01-21-2013 05:33 AM

disagree a young prime tyson would of beat formane,tyson peekaboo style and defense was soild in his prime and alot better fighter then frazier alot faster then frazier and punched alot harder then frazier with either hand tyson speed and explosive power would give forman trouble,but i will say tyson would be taken a very big risk just going at Foreman in straight lines if he got caught by one of formans hard looping punches particularly the uppercut good night tyson.It would of made a very good fight but one we will never see,my money is slightly on tyson.I will add that tyson mental strenght was a big weakness.

Tannhauser 01-21-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Ross (Post 314825)
Tyson loses every single time. No swarmer would ever beat Foreman. Big George had a rock chin, grit, ring smarts, and KO power in either hand. Watch Smokin Joe vs Foreman to get the big picture. Tyson and Frazier had the same type of style.

I agree with everything you said about Foreman ( except that he'd always beat Tyson).

I have watched Smokin' Joe vs Foreman.

My view that Tyson is a much more formidable opponent than Frazier: faster, harder to hit, heavier, with a bigger arsenal of punches. Frazier had a monster hook, but lacked the combination punching of Tyson. But I think the biggest difference is in defence. So I would say that Foreman never faced a swarmer of Tyson's calibre.

Edit to add: oops, just read Lee's comment which says pretty much the same thing

Question for you, Trevor: which boxers do you think would really give Foreman a hard time - any era? Apart from Ali.

Tannhauser 01-21-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuytrider (Post 314729)
I'd have to respectfully disagree on Tyson vs Foreman Tann. Foreman was a force of nature and was outsmarted and psyched out by Ali IMO. Tyson is not in the ballpark of being as smart as Ali. More importantly, prime Tyson won many fights through sheer fear. Foreman would not have been afraid of Tyson and my verdict would be a Big George KO victory in the mid rounds.

I'd have like to have seen prime Liston vs prime Tyson without mob interference. Tough to call as they were similar but I'd go with Liston in a fight that could go either way. It would end in a chilling KO either way though!

You may well be right about Tyson's intimidation factor - and I agree that Foreman wouldn't be intimidated by him at all. I don't think Tyson was unbeatable - even in his prime there were boxers who made him look quite ordinary. But I think Tyson's nightmare is someone with Foreman's size and durability but with more precision and defence.

Tannhauser 01-21-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJosh (Post 314709)
Tyson/ali would have been interesting. Could he rope a dope tyson and not go unconscious?

Ali's an interesting one. When he was rope-a-doping, he was past his prime in terms of speed, but seemed to have substituted an incredible capacity for absorbing punishment.

If he could do it with Foreman's pile-driver hands hitting him, you'd think he'd survive Tyson as well.

leefarley 01-21-2013 01:27 PM

i agree with everything tann has said i think we are like minded boxing fans.

how about tyson vs Dempsey that would of been savage.