Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
Tyson/ali would have been interesting. Could he rope a dope tyson and not go unconscious?
That would be at the top of my list.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #12
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

They are not heavyweights but Hagler / Mayweather
Old 01-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #13
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

......and definitely Tyson / Ali ..... Epic!!
Old 01-22-2013, 02:19 AM   #14
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStrong View Post
They are not heavyweights but Hagler / Mayweather
Hagler would destroy Mayweather by the mid rounds. Remember, Floyd has never fought above light middle and Hagler was a big middleweight. Floyd's speed and reflexes look severely diminished at light middle and Miguel Cotto had plenty of joy against him. In fact, I think Mayweather loses at light middle or middleweight if he fights Sergio Martinez this year. Mayweather's best IMO was at lightweight where he was amazing.

Getting it done one session at a time.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:54 AM   #15
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Food
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
I agree with everything you said about Foreman ( except that he'd always beat Tyson).

I have watched Smokin' Joe vs Foreman.

My view that Tyson is a much more formidable opponent than Frazier: faster, harder to hit, heavier, with a bigger arsenal of punches. Frazier had a monster hook, but lacked the combination punching of Tyson. But I think the biggest difference is in defence. So I would say that Foreman never faced a swarmer of Tyson's calibre.

Edit to add: oops, just read Lee's comment which says pretty much the same thing

Question for you, Trevor: which boxers do you think would really give Foreman a hard time - any era? Apart from Ali.
Honestly, Foreman in his prime was pretty much unbeatable. He had the reach and jab to hang with the outfighters, the power to deal with swarmers, and the chin and bigger firepower then the punchers. Ali had his best night with Foreman. Had the fight happened pre-championship, Ali would of been just another head on his wall. A bold statement, but a true one. A little tid bit, Foreman won an Olympic Gold Medal after only Boxing for a year and a half!! Then comes back to win a major world title in his mid 40's, any other boxer you know that could do that?
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:18 AM   #16
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

Ali would of beat Tyson 10 times out of ten Ali was to fast to smart to caught by Tyson and even he did Ali was very durable and a granite chin he would of survive tyson attacks.
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #17
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Ross View Post
Honestly, Foreman in his prime was pretty much unbeatable. He had the reach and jab to hang with the outfighters, the power to deal with swarmers, and the chin and bigger firepower then the punchers. Ali had his best night with Foreman. Had the fight happened pre-championship, Ali would of been just another head on his wall. A bold statement, but a true one. A little tid bit, Foreman won an Olympic Gold Medal after only Boxing for a year and a half!! Then comes back to win a major world title in his mid 40's, any other boxer you know that could do that?
Well, he was certainly among the all time greats. Absolutely. But I have a problem with 'unbeatable' or even 'pretty much unbeatable'. Boxing is littered with champions who were considered unbeatable on the night they were beaten. Joe Louis when he was beaten by Max Schmeling, Tyson when he was beaten by Buster Douglas.

I think for every boxer, somewhere out there is their nightmare opponent that they are ill-equipped to deal with (though I'll agree that for most boxers, that nightmare is actually George Foreman ).

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #18
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100

Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

How about this one: prime Lennox Lewis against prime Larry Holmes?

Old 01-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #19
CZERWIEC
Brawn
Points: 1,591, Level: 22 Points: 1,591, Level: 22 Points: 1,591, Level: 22
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: many years
Training Type: Strongman
CZERWIEC has made some very good postsCZERWIEC has made some very good postsCZERWIEC has made some very good postsCZERWIEC has made some very good postsCZERWIEC has made some very good postsCZERWIEC has made some very good postsCZERWIEC has made some very good postsCZERWIEC has made some very good postsCZERWIEC has made some very good postsCZERWIEC has made some very good postsCZERWIEC has made some very good posts

Tyson won alot of fights before he got to the ring, its not surprising the guys he lost to were not afraid of him. I disagree that he had a good defense with that peek-a-boo style. No fighter is unbeatable and all had their style that would be frustrating take Ali with Norton, Norton wasn't all that but became a name cause Ali just had all kinds of problems with him. The main match up on this board seems to be Foreman/Tyson. I would go with Foreman, Foreman might be the only one who would have intimated Tyson pre-fight. My question is where do you put Holyfield in this, he whupped up on Tyson all the time but how would he fair against the others in there prime
CZERWIEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #20
Tannhauser
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZERWIEC View Post
Tyson won alot of fights before he got to the ring, its not surprising the guys he lost to were not afraid of him. I disagree that he had a good defense with that peek-a-boo style. No fighter is unbeatable and all had their style that would be frustrating take Ali with Norton, Norton wasn't all that but became a name cause Ali just had all kinds of problems with him. The main match up on this board seems to be Foreman/Tyson. I would go with Foreman, Foreman might be the only one who would have intimated Tyson pre-fight. My question is where do you put Holyfield in this, he whupped up on Tyson all the time but how would he fair against the others in there prime
His defence was not just in covering, but in his head speed, bobbing and weaving.

The guys who weren't afraid of Tyson were post-Buster Douglas. That fight punctured the illusion that he was invincible, for his opponents and in his own head as well.

In the Holyfield fights, Tyson was already well past his best - he peaked pretty early. Which is a shame because that would have been an interesting match.

Holyfield? Terrific heart, durability, conditioning. But did he have that massive punch to bother some of the others we've mentioned?