Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Whatever happened to all those mad female vocalists? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12163)

Tannhauser 01-10-2013 05:00 PM

Whatever happened to all those mad female vocalists?

Whatever happened to all those crazy female singers that blossomed from the late seventies? Yelping and mugging at the camera and waving their arms or jumping around? They were a mixed bunch. Most of them couldn't sing for toffee, but they were at least interesting. And a couple were very talented musicians. In this thread, I'll post up a few.

1. Poly Styrene

Musicality 2/10. When Punk came in, apparently young Poly decided that it couldn't be very difficult, and that she would have a go. That screamy voice has been stuck in my mind for 30 years: 'I-DENT-IT-EEE!'

Tannhauser 01-10-2013 05:02 PM

2. Kate Bush

Musicality 8/10. A genuine prodigy, who wrote 'The Man With The Child in his Eyes' aged fourteen. Mad-eyed, arm-waving sonstress.

Tannhauser 01-10-2013 05:04 PM

3. Linda Perry

Musicality 9/10 Has written some terrific songs and more to the point, has the biggest mouth of any land mammal, and almost as large as a basking shark. Not really the same era, but still.

Tannhauser 01-10-2013 05:06 PM

4. Laurie Anderson

Musicality – 10/10. Relive the weirdly hypnotic 'O Superman'. I saw her a few years back and she has some very brilliant and innovative musical ideas, like her semi-improvised monologues that she accompanies on keyboards

Tannhauser 01-10-2013 05:07 PM

5. Hazel O'Connor

Musicality 5/10. I just love this video. She has a voice like a cat's breakfast, but I love that Tron costume.

Tannhauser 01-10-2013 05:10 PM

This one not safe for work

6. Wendy O'Williams

Musicality 0/10 No discernible musical ability, but shouts and runs around with things on her nipples, which counts for a lot. What a racket.

Tannhauser 01-10-2013 05:12 PM

7. Lene Lovitch

And to round us out for now, completely bonkers Lene Lovitch. Urr-oh-eh-oh.

Musicality unknown/10

Tannhauser 01-10-2013 05:31 PM

If Steve spots this post:

Would you mind editing the typo on my thread title? Thanks.

Goat 01-10-2013 07:24 PM

Tann you are a strange bird, O'Williams best of the bunch.

BendtheBar 01-10-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannhauser (Post 310723)
Whatever happened to all those crazy female singers that blossomed from the late seventies? Yelping and mugging at the camera and waving their arms or jumping around? They were a mixed bunch. Most of them couldn't sing for toffee, but they were at least interesting. And a couple were very talented musicians. In this thread, I'll post up a few.

1. Poly Styrene

Musicality 2/10. When Punk came in, apparently young Poly decided that it couldn't be very difficult, and that she would have a go. That screamy voice has been stuck in my mind for 30 years: 'I-DENT-IT-EEE!'

Love the horns.

That's actually better than 90% of the rage punk I've heard. I can see that growing on me.