Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default My camera sucks

So I bought an expensive digital camera last year and the indoor pics are horrible.

See below.

There are limited settings for the camera's software, and no matter what I have it on I get blur and crap quality.

Any suggestions? This is the camera:

Amazon.com: Kodak Easyshare M530 12 MP Digital Camera with 3x Wide Angle Optical Zoom and 2.7-Inch LCD (Red): Camera & Photo Amazon.com: Kodak Easyshare M530 12 MP Digital Camera with 3x Wide Angle Optical Zoom and 2.7-Inch LCD (Red): Camera & Photo

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Just read reviews and the blur and lighting are issues with my model

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

I don't know much about photography, but two suggestions:

1.Is it possible to put your camera onto a high ISO setting? Most digital cameras probably adjust this automatically, but it might be worth having a little play. AN ISO of 1600, say, might reduce the blur/camera shake, though at the expense of detail and an increased graininess.

2. How are you holding the camera? I can never get indoor pics worth a damn without having the camera resting on something. One of those little bendy tripods is great, but a table or back of a sofa can help. Even leaning against something can sometimes help.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
2. How are you holding the camera? I can never get indoor pics worth a damn without having the camera resting on something. One of those little bendy tripods is great, but a table or back of a sofa can help. Even leaning against something can sometimes help.
Yeah, that's a big problem with cameras, the smaller camera, the more fiddly it is to get a stable base...with the larger lens cameras, place one hand under and around the lens, one hand around the body (side), and jam the elbows against the body to stabilise it completely. That should help with blur, if it's through movement.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
begota
Brawn
Points: 4,620, Level: 43 Points: 4,620, Level: 43 Points: 4,620, Level: 43
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

begota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributorbegota is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
I don't know much about photography, but two suggestions:

1.Is it possible to put your camera onto a high ISO setting? Most digital cameras probably adjust this automatically, but it might be worth having a little play. AN ISO of 1600, say, might reduce the blur/camera shake, though at the expense of detail and an increased graininess.

Absolutely agree with all of this. Also I crank down the amount of mega-pixels if it is too much for the sensor. Which is often the case with digital cameras in the 10-12 mega-pixel range. Low light conditions can cause big problems with digital cameras, and turning the ISO up can increase shutter speed, but because it amplifies the pixels on the sensor it also increases noise.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #6
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Steve, coincidentally, Mrs T took a bunch of family photos over the Christmas and it's the same story. They are all blurred, grainy or both. Very disappointing. She took them with my Panasonic Lumix which is a capable little compact.

I just looked at how the camera was set up (right click thumbnail of the image in windows, select properties, go to 'detail' tab). Sure enough, on the worst ones, the shutter speed was 1/4 of a second, which almost guarantees camera shake, The ISO was at 1000 as the camera tried to cope with low light. The culprit was simply that I'd left the camera in compulsory 'no flash' setting (the details tab also shows this). Sue thought that the flash was going off, but it wasn't. Even though the camera was in intelligent auto mode, this doesn't override the 'no flash' setting.

It does look to me from the pic you posted as if the flash either hasn't gone off at all, or hasn't been effective in providing enough light.

The other thing that occurs to me is that many digital cameras really struggle to autofocus if light levels are low. That might also account for blurriness, and there's not much you can do about that one.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232

Last edited by Tannhauser; 12-28-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote