Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   New Year, New Skill (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11941)

5kgLifter 12-17-2012 01:35 PM

New Year, New Skill

Every year, I choose to learn one new skill, it might be a language or something as simple as juggling and many times the skill remains, if not fully to some small degree, and it's all good especially if it ends up being transferable...this year, aside from learning to play a mountain dulcimer, my new chosen skill is to learn to play the following tune on one of these:

So, does anyone else do something similar?

BendtheBar 12-17-2012 02:20 PM

What's the cost to get a functional instrument? Meaning on that actually stays in tune...

5kgLifter 12-17-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 302354)
What's the cost to get a functional instrument? Meaning on that actually stays in tune...

Mine cost 101 (p&p inc.), it really depends, from what I gather, bearing in mind I'm new to it, on geared tuning pegs as opposed to other styles of pegs which can slip. In the USA, it may well be cheaper, and there are cardboard versions for newbies which are definitely cheaper than wooden ones.

lowcarbguy 12-17-2012 07:22 PM

Never done this or something similar. Sounds like fun though. I should do the new year new skill thing.

EliteDreams 12-18-2012 02:27 AM

That is an awesome sound.We shall require a video once you do the same :)

5kgLifter 12-18-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EliteDreams (Post 302584)
That is an awesome sound.We shall require a video once you do the same :)

Hahaha, I think it may take me a good year to learn...I also need to sort a capo, the syste, I tried didn't work due to the spaces under the fretboard not being placed under the 4th fret :( I'll work it though, in the meantime Xmas tunes. :rockon:

5kgLifter 12-18-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowcarbguy (Post 302468)
Never done this or something similar. Sounds like fun though. I should do the new year new skill thing.

It's really fascinating to learn something new even if only at a basic level.

BendtheBar 12-18-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 302355)
Mine cost 101 (p&p inc.), it really depends, from what I gather, bearing in mind I'm new to it, on geared tuning pegs as opposed to other styles of pegs which can slip. In the USA, it may well be cheaper, and there are cardboard versions for newbies which are definitely cheaper than wooden ones.

That I did not know :)

5kgLifter 12-18-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 302761)
That I did not know :)

With the cardboard version, you can also take the fretboard off and make yourself a new box area, from wood or whatever and just transfer the fretboard over; so, once you have the cardboard version, if that's what you go for, you can still use the fretboard to make another dulcimer should the cardboard deteriorate at some stage or get damaged, but from what I hear, they're sturdy instruments.

roundbus 12-18-2012 02:30 PM

I am all for learning something new. I think that it sounds like a wonderful idea.