Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
roundbus
New Brawn
Points: 273, Level: 5 Points: 273, Level: 5 Points: 273, Level: 5
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

roundbus has made some quality postsroundbus has made some quality postsroundbus has made some quality postsroundbus has made some quality postsroundbus has made some quality postsroundbus has made some quality postsroundbus has made some quality posts
Default Lie to me some more

I accepted a part time job last week and we hashed out the details. I was promised it would be $X. I got paid yesterday for my work last week. Check was mailed to my home and was half of what we had agreed to. I did my job well and when I questioned it they said well we did not have that big of a budget and had to cut it in half. I have it in emails that we have written back and forth that I was to get $X. What do you think that I should do? If I sue then I will be out of money bc I will have court cost. I would not have done the job if I would have known I was only going to get half.
roundbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

They broke a written "contract"...guess what they'd do if the shoe was on the other foot...yep.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Small claims court?

If they get a summons perhaps they'll just pay up.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
moeheep
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

Ask the judge for the court costs to be paid by them in the final settlement

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

was there a signed agreement and contract? or just talked about?

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast

Report them to your state or local department of labor.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
roundbus
New Brawn
Points: 273, Level: 5 Points: 273, Level: 5 Points: 273, Level: 5
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

roundbus has made some quality postsroundbus has made some quality postsroundbus has made some quality postsroundbus has made some quality postsroundbus has made some quality postsroundbus has made some quality postsroundbus has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaipa View Post
was there a signed agreement and contract? or just talked about?
Just talked about through email so I have proof that he agreed to this.
roundbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Go to small claims court, and request court costs be paid by whoever wins. It's a risk, because if you lose you have to pay their side...but if you win, you can get what you're owed, plus punitive damages, and court costs. Not a million bucks, but enough to get what you were promised.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
mikethemighty
Brawn
Points: 695, Level: 13 Points: 695, Level: 13 Points: 695, Level: 13
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

mikethemighty has made some quality postsmikethemighty has made some quality postsmikethemighty has made some quality postsmikethemighty has made some quality postsmikethemighty has made some quality postsmikethemighty has made some quality posts

Take to court and make them pay the cost.
mikethemighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundbus View Post
I accepted a part time job last week and we hashed out the details I was promised it would be $X.I got paid yesterday for my work last week. Check was mailed to my home and was half of what we had agreed to. I did my job well and when I questioned it they said well we did not have that big of a budget and had to cut it in half. I have it in emails that we have written back and forth that I was to get $X. What do you think that I should do? If I sue then I will be out of money bc I will have court cost. I would not have done the job if I would have known I was only going to get half.
For most decisions there are side effects whether good or bad. I am not ready to commit to an opinion based on the information you have given. The first issue is I do not have the e-mails that were written back and forth to make a more accurate opinion. All I have is your statement that you did not get paid as allegedly agreed, and this vacates the information from the other party in the alleged agreement. It wouldn't be fair to you or the other side to base an opinion on information from only one side on a two party conversation.

Like most things with employers, you have to consider the circumstances, potential results, and any side effects (whether you win or not). For one example. Lets assume you are correct and were under paid and according to the content of the e-mails did not keep the agreement as written. You then take them to court (which dependent on the content and nature of the suite) could take months, and win. One potential side effect in some circumstances like this is a bridge burned (and determining whether this bridge burned was worth the side effect) and the employer burns you on references and recommendations for employment in your future. Legal or not, this crap happens: verbal communication between employer and prospecting employer in which is difficult to prove the content of the communication.

Always analyze your decisions, and do not be moved by the emotions caused by the situation.

Don

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 12-17-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote