Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
Legosinmyegos
Brawn
Points: 1,553, Level: 22 Points: 1,553, Level: 22 Points: 1,553, Level: 22
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Legosinmyegos has made some good postsLegosinmyegos has made some good postsLegosinmyegos has made some good postsLegosinmyegos has made some good postsLegosinmyegos has made some good postsLegosinmyegos has made some good postsLegosinmyegos has made some good postsLegosinmyegos has made some good postsLegosinmyegos has made some good postsLegosinmyegos has made some good posts
Default Making an educational youtube channel on lifting

Whats up guys, not sure how many of you know me, but I'm legosinmyegos over at bodybuilding.com, and my LIME bench routine is up on this sites powerlifting workout programs. I am a powerlifter @ ~175 lbs with personal bests of 500/385/555.

Anyway, I am just starting to make an educational youtube channel geared at intermediate lifters, both bodybuilding and powerlifting. I feel there is too much beginner and advanced information out there, and not enough information for people at an intermediate level.

I just started making videos, so I am open to critique and suggestions for possible topics, let me know what you think.

vids of my lifts
http://www.youtube.com/user/Andrew405squat?feature=mhum
Legosinmyegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
DieselWeasel
Elite Raw Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Whey Powder
DieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beast

You're not a powerlifter until you compete, Andrew.

RPS - Open 165 Raw - 07.13.13
1365 Elite/Pro Total (475,300,590)
DieselWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
Legosinmyegos
Brawn

Legosinmyegos has made some good postsLegosinmyegos has made some good postsLegosinmyegos has made some good postsLegosinmyegos has made some good postsLegosinmyegos has made some good postsLegosinmyegos has made some good postsLegosinmyegos has made some good postsLegosinmyegos has made some good postsLegosinmyegos has made some good postsLegosinmyegos has made some good posts

If you say so.

vids of my lifts
Old 12-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Good work. Only comments would be to not do shaky cam and to always feature your face when talking, or zoom tight on the board so we can see it better. Nit picky, I know.

Feel free to post up new vids.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:30 PM   #5
Legosinmyegos
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Good work. Only comments would be to not do shaky cam and to always feature your face when talking, or zoom tight on the board so we can see it better. Nit picky, I know.

Feel free to post up new vids.
Fair enough, and things that have already be mentioned to me

Will do, thanks.

vids of my lifts
Old 12-12-2012, 03:15 AM   #6
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Hello Andrew!

It's good to have someone of your enthusiasm here, who's willing to share what he's learned in an honest way. The net needs more of that.

I don't want to discourage you from videos at all, but from a powerlifting point of view. Form, squat depth, competition peaking cycles etc all play a large part in a powerlifting channel. Knowing that the fella you're listening to actually competes in the sport he's instructing you on really is important. So I do think you should take that on board and perhaps look at entering a meet and getting that experience to further what you're trying to do.

I'm a powerlifter, I've competed in powerlifting in the UK for over 10 years, entered numerous nationals and regional competition and personally know many competitors. I've learned from and passed on knowledge to many from that field. That's where my credibility comes from, that's what gives me that insight into what a beginner or intermediate powerlifter needs. That's why people listen to me. I think getting yourself involved with the actual powerlifting community and competing would give you much more insight than what you have now, and much more credibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legosinmyegos View Post
I just started making videos, so I am open to critique and suggestions for possible topics, let me know what you think.
I hope the above is actually true!

Stick around, good to have you here.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #7
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

I tend to agree with you in the fact that the information for an intermediate lifter is far exceeded by that of advanced and beginners. I think BTB's suggestion of having the focus on your face and a less shaky camera will be important. I would also encourage you to compete, as most people are not going to take your lifts legitimate until you do them on the platform. Best of luck with this, hopefully you will be successful.

Also, would love to check out the bench program you laid out. Feel free to post it on the site.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
Legosinmyegos
Brawn

While I understand that a lot of people don't consider someone a powerlifter until they have competed, I honestly don't share the same viewpoint. I don't see how paying an organization $100 to have 3 people judge me gives me the right to call myself something I can't call myself now. I love the sport of powerlifting, and one day, when I feel I am ready, I will begin to compete. I just don't feel like the merit of the information I provide should depend on having registered and given money to a federation.

Having said that, you're right, I don't have any experience weigh ins, mind set during meets, and what to do AT a meet, and hence, I won't touch those topics when I make videos.

I am really looking more to explain to people how to choose accessories, gauge their work capacity, eventually design their own programs based on their own needs, and just imprint a strong foundation of the important concepts of powerlifting like periodization, supercompensation, stress microcycles, dynamic efforts, etc....

I have made at least 3 bench programs, the one that BendTheBar put up on this site is here http://muscleandbrawn.com/lime-bench-press-workout/

And I have a youtube video explaining that one

vids of my lifts

Last edited by Legosinmyegos; 12-12-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

The difference is your lifts could have been done in your gym, when you are comfortable, in your routine, with your favourite bar, your friends spotting, your favourite music on. At a meet you lift at a strange time of day, after making weight. You lift when someone else tells you. You warm-up with a bunch of other people who may or may not help you. You lift to the commands of impartial judges and to the rules of a federation. You unrack and rack the bar when they tell you. You pause as long as they tell you on the bench press and regardless of whether you complete the lift, it is only good if the judges say so.

It is NOT the same.

Having said that with your gym lifts at your bodyweight, you would win most local and possibly state competitions. Not sure what else you're waiting for in order to be ready?!?!
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
Legosinmyegos
Brawn

Oh, absolutely, I have no doubt I have a huge issue trying to hit that same total in a meet. I never claimed to have a "total", I said those are my personal bests.

I got lots of form stuff and programming stuff I wanna figure out right now. When all the movements feel 100% natural to me, and I feel I learned most of what I need to know about my body, I will look forward to competing. In my mind, I'm not there yet.

What I don't agree with, is that I have to pay some arbitrary organization $100 and step up and have 3 people judge me to call myself a powerlifter or give others advice on how to become stronger.

vids of my lifts