Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Dallas Cowboys and Drunk Driving (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11894)

BendtheBar 12-10-2012 10:29 AM

Dallas Cowboys and Drunk Driving

Cowboys mull device to immobilize players' cars

Quote:

Hill said the team could mandate that Cowboys players have electronic devices designed to immobilize vehicles when a driver is impaired. The device, SafeKey, includes a small fob that is attached to the key ring, which sends electronic signals to a complementary device that can prevent a vehicle from starting if a driver doesn't pass a test based on color-coded light emissions.

"We are considering that," Hill said.

So what do you think folks?

LtL 12-10-2012 10:41 AM

How is this even necessary?!

BendtheBar 12-10-2012 10:49 AM

I guess for me the question is...at what point do you become property?

How far do employer rights go?

Squatter 12-10-2012 10:52 AM

I am almost of the opinion that a device like that be mandatory in every car. People just are not getting the message. Just a couple of days ago, a young man in early 20's was hit head on after the drunk side wiped 2 other cars. Of course the drunk lives and the innocent young up and coming mechanic dies.

The carange just continues. No end or decrease in sight.

BendtheBar 12-10-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squatter (Post 300070)
I am almost of the opinion that a device like that be mandatory in every car. People just are not getting the message. Just a couple of days ago, a young man in early 20's was hit head on after the drunk side wiped 2 other cars. Of course the drunk lives and the innocent young up and coming mechanic dies.

The carange just continues. No end or decrease in sight.

Wisconsin is really bad. I've worked with more than a few repeaters.

Crazy thing is that the officers tend to work Sunday and Saturday mornings to soak up overtime, instead of Saturday night. Something is broken here.

If you drive to the grocery store at 10am on a Sunday morning you will see 2-3 cop cars every time. No lie. It's like a cash pipeline.

Anyway, I'd rather pay them to nail the drunks.

Hunterace 12-10-2012 11:16 AM

Everything comes down to responsibility and consequences. Compared to years ago, no one is held responsible for anything. Excuses are made for every action, passing the buck instead of holding the person responsible. There's a murder, it's the guns fault! Drunk driving, the person has a disease! BS, there is no accountability or consequences for anything anymore. Until we get back to placing blame on the criminal that committed the crime , and they actually get punished severely, avoidable things like this will keep happening.
My opinion and two cents ;)

Squatter 12-10-2012 11:36 AM

I think the key is prevention. Drunk drivers simply are not usually able to think of the consequences of their actions. I know there are several programs in place, especially during the holidays. One of them is a volunteer group who will drive the drinker home in his/her own vehicle. The thing is tho it has to be reserved in advance. If people know they are going to be drinking away from home, they have to plan to get home safely & legally before they drink.

Just recently, the law changed here and anyone caught driving with a blood alcohol level of even under .08 will have their car seized on the spot and license suspended for aperiod of time.

Personally, I despise booze. Both my parents were alcoholcs and drove drunk with us kids in the car several times. Even after Mom quit and then became an AA sponser, I saw firsthand hundreds and hundreds of lives and families that booze destroyed. My best friend's dad committed suicide with a bottle in his hand soon after I left the house after playing with my friend. He was an alcoholic my mom was trying to help.

I know many people enjoy drinking responsibly and I applaud them for it. It's just that the damn stuff is so f*cking addictive. It's like a potato chip - you just can't stop at 1.

Just my 2 cents on a very emotional topic for me. Every day I thank the lord that none of us 3 kids became alcoholics. It is the 1 think Mom was most proud of.:)

5kgLifter 12-10-2012 11:37 AM

The thing is you can have motor related accidents due to drink, medication, mobile phone use, cigarette smoking, coffee drinking, arguing with passengers, doing make-up...people behind a wheel should be more aware, including people on other forms of transport cycles, motorbikes, where medication can be dangerous.

I recall almost going headlong into opposing traffic because I wasn't smart enough to realise that I should not have been on a bicycle with labyrinthitis; looked around to check behind me, felt okay, had veered almost into the other lane...that was damn close and both me and the driver of the other car were in shock, never again...sometimes we just don't realise how dangerous even a simple thing is.

Squatter 12-10-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 300094)
The thing is you can have motor related accidents due to drink, medication, mobile phone use, cigarette smoking, coffee drinking, arguing with passengers, doing make-up...people behind a wheel should be more aware, including people on other forms of transport cycles, motorbikes, where medication can be dangerous.

I recall almost going headlong into opposing traffic because I wasn't smart enough to realise that I should not have been on a bicycle with labyrinthitis; looked around to check behind me, felt okay, had veered almost into the other lane...that was damn close and both me and the driver of the other car were in shock, never again...sometimes we just don't realise how dangerous even a simple thing is.

True that is Babs. I am glad you managed to survive the close call:)

Recently here, a distracted driving law came into effect. I am not sure how effective it is tho, because it is engrained in people's mind that it is rude to not respond to text's right away. I see it all the time - people texting while driving. Even pedestrian's do it while crossing the street!

I think tho that booze related accidents are the most loathed tho.

J_Byrd 12-10-2012 11:50 AM

I refuse to read the article. Dumb athletes strike again! Sad part is the NFL has an agreement with a pick up company. Any NFL player, at any time, can call and be picked up and have their car driven home. It also has a complete confidentiality agreement to it.