Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #21
dossas
Brawn
Points: 931, Level: 16 Points: 931, Level: 16 Points: 931, Level: 16
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 3ish
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: My squat rack
dossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributor

Weren't the 80's full of these songs??!! Sooo many one hit wonders would fall under this criteria. I can feel the embarrassment as I type this small list (in no particular order):

1. Talking in Your Sleep - Romantics
2. Come On Eileen - Dexys Midnight Runners
3. Burning Down the House - Talking Heads
4. Come On Feel the Noise - Quiet Riot
5. Bang Your Heads (Metal Health) - Quiet Riot
6. Relax - Frankie Goes to Hollywood
7. Whip It - Devo
8. Obsession - Animotion
9. Don't You Want Me - Human League
10. 8675309 - Tommy Tutone

Holy crap I could go on forever!!...I better go scroll through the testosterone thread to eget some of my manhood back!!
dossas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #22
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

I think a few of those weren't exactly 'one hit wonders', at least as I understand the expression. I'd say 'The Vapors' ('Turning Japanese') were a one-hit wonder band.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #23
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
I think a few of those weren't exactly 'one hit wonders', at least as I understand the expression. I'd say 'The Vapors' ('Turning Japanese') were a one-hit wonder band.
That's a good one.

I hate it, love it, hate it. Safety Dance is another.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #24
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100

Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
That's a good one.

I hate it, love it, hate it. Safety Dance is another.
Safety Dance!! Men Without Hats!! I straightforward love them.

I do find there are some songs right on the cusp of just being a bleeding racket that I end up really liking. Lots of stuff by Pavement for example. But cheesiness or the fact something went out of fashion 30 years ago doesn't bother me. I was born out of fashion.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #25
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Safety Dance!! Men Without Hats!! I straightforward love them.

I do find there are some songs right on the cusp of just being a bleeding racket that I end up really liking. Lots of stuff by Pavement for example. But cheesiness or the fact something went out of fashion 30 years ago doesn't bother me. I was born out of fashion.
I am listening to Pavement right now. One of my favorite bands.

Well actually Stephen Malkus. Same difference.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #26
Traphouse86
Max Brawn
Points: 6,569, Level: 53 Points: 6,569, Level: 53 Points: 6,569, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 6 Years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Muscle Milk & Xtend
Traphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributor

The Ramones "I Want You Around"

"I donít believe that anyone knows what his or her full potential is, I donít believe in genetics as a ceiling for performance, and I donít believe in plateaus." JMB

Proudly Sponsored by http://muscleandbrawn.com/
Traphouse86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #27
Tannhauser
Max Brawn

Quote:
I am listening to Pavement right now. One of my favorite bands.

Well actually Stephen Malkus. Same difference.
Excellent. The first time I heard Wowie Zowie, I couldn't believe my ears. I'd got used to listening to super-technical musicians...and Pavement are pretty terrible, knowingly or otherwise. But that album really got under my skin, and soon I couldn't stop playing it. It just hit that sweet spot between love and irritation.

Bjork is the same for me. A total original, and incredibly irritating, but I love some of her stuff. I think it was de Sade who said something along the lines of 'there is no love as sweet as a repulsion overcome.'

Old 12-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #28
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Excellent. The first time I heard Wowie Zowie, I couldn't believe my ears. I'd got used to listening to super-technical musicians...and Pavement are pretty terrible, knowingly or otherwise. But that album really got under my skin, and soon I couldn't stop playing it. It just hit that sweet spot between love and irritation.

Bjork is the same for me. A total original, and incredibly irritating, but I love some of her stuff. I think it was de Sade who said something along the lines of 'there is no love as sweet as a repulsion overcome.'

I agree. Some of their songs are like "too much sugar." But others are pure bliss. Unexpected twists, turns and lyrics. Hint of poor man's jazz.

Pavement was a turning for me. Turned me on to other low key but eclectic bands like Sun Kil Moon.

Speaking of musicians, ever listen to the album Double Nickles On A Dime by the Minutemen?

Old 12-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #29
Tannhauser
Max Brawn

Quote:

Speaking of musicians, ever listen to the album Double Nickles On A Dime by the Minutemen?
No, but I'm off to check it out now.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #30
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is offline   Reply With Quote