Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   I don't stretch or warm-up.. (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11679)

WilldBill88 11-15-2012 08:12 PM

I don't stretch or warm-up..

As the title says, I don't stretch or warm-up! I think the first couple weeks of starting out I did light stretching but, completely threw that out. Once in a blue moon I'll do a little bit of jump roping before lifting. Other than that, 99% of the time I just go to the power rack and start off with squats. Am I a fool for not stetching or warming up? Or do you guys not care for that either?

BendtheBar 11-15-2012 08:16 PM

I don't stretch. My warmups are warmup sets.

I did stretch for a number of years. Right now I'm just too pressed for time. I honestly don't notice any difference compared to when I did stretch.

Mileage may vary.

Off Road 11-15-2012 08:21 PM

I just get a little sweat going before I start. Generally I do some warmup sprints, some light oly lifting, or some jumping. If I do stretching it's usually after heavy lifting when everything is really warm and loose. Like BtB said, just make sure you are hitting enough warmup sets before lifting heavy and you should be good.

5kgLifter 11-15-2012 08:25 PM

Technically, warm-up sets are warming up and the first few reps are stretching movements which specifically target the areas being used; pretty sure everyone has noticed that their latter squats get better depth than their initial few squats in every session.

moeheep 11-15-2012 08:58 PM

I noticed a tremendous difference when I started doing several pyramiding warm up sets for my heavy, main lifts. Someone told me to do them to prepare the CNS.

Now I NEVER lift heavy without them.

begota 11-15-2012 11:34 PM

I always do about a half mile on the treadmill or elliptical before I lift. I take the five minutes to find my playlist, untangle my earbuds, and mentally prepare myself for a great session. Nothing too much, but just break a quick sweat.
I see people doing some serious stretching for 20 minutes before they do anything. I have always read / heard to do a light warm up, but I do agree with the others as long as you are doing light weight warm ups. It is not necessary.
The key is to get blood into the muscle before you use it strenuously. However you go about it.

J_Byrd 11-16-2012 07:40 AM

I normally do some light stretching, foam rolling, then start with the bar in the squat. In the bench I start with 10lb dumbells for a bunch of movments. My first warm up on the bench is the bar! My joints dont like just getting down there and going like it use to. Donnie Thompson told me he spends 45mins doing various warm ups before he ever lays down on the bench. Just food for thought.

LtL 11-16-2012 08:25 AM

I've recently started doing a few light lifts before moving onto the main lift for the day. Upper body days I'm using incline dumbell bench and face pulls and for lower body I'm doing lat pulldowns and GHRs. Both are accompanied by foam rolling and stretching if needed. I think it's helping me but who knows. I feel better so I do it.

thumpinos 11-16-2012 09:45 AM

I don't feel right if I don't stretch.

J_Byrd 11-16-2012 09:48 AM

I forgot to mention I was also told my years of lazy warm ups helped lead to my peck tear. I would walk in the door and be at 405 on the bench in about 10 minutes, that includes changing cloths haha.