Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast
Default Question for the IT guys??

So, I need a new computer of sorts. My laptop is getting old and starting to go. The keys are all going and it is just really slow. I have had it for 6 or 7 years which is pretty good.

Here is my dilemma:
I am thinking of just getting an Ipad with the small keyboard. I want everyone's opinion on this.

Here is what I use my computer for, surfing the web and logging workouts. Otherwise I do not do a whole lot on the computer.

I was looking at some of the new convertible laptop/tablets, but they are extremely expensive.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

I am on a newly purchased HP Pavillion dv6. I paid $750 back in July. It's fairly impressive, much faster than the machines I have in my work lab. I've been in IT for 10+ years, mostly on the hardware side. I just moved to software support and testing a few weeks ago.

Do you have experience with Apple? Not to much different than PC, but there is a slight learning curve, just to get used to what's different in naming and location, etc. From it what it sounds like, an Ipad might be a good buy for you. It'll be small enough to carry around, fast enough to surf the web, and easily process and store workouts and charts. Restrictions would be no network cable port(I think it's only wireless), no CD tray, small screen, lack of audio power, additional keyboard to carry if desired, possibly a few more.

I can't say much else about the Ipad, as I don't own one. I would give either the model I referenced up top a look, or maybe for a bit more the new Intel Ultrabooks, another pretty good recent release. My laptop has Win 7, running on a 3rd Gen I7 CPU with 8GB of memory, with a hybrid ssd/sata hard drive for extra boot speed. I'm at my desktop in 15 seconds from a cold boot. You might not need all those stats, but the lower model HPs are also pretty good, but less specs for a lower price.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I have an iPad and a lap top. I never use the laptop anymore. It's too slow. The pad loads right away and is much easier. Plus I can do everything on it. Ustream, video recording, you name it.

We're getting 2 of these for Christmas because we fight over the pad:

Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7-Inch, Wi-Fi): Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7-Inch, Wi-Fi): Computers & Accessories

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
Goat
Max Brawn
Points: 3,004, Level: 33 Points: 3,004, Level: 33 Points: 3,004, Level: 33
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: MEAT
Goat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I have an iPad and a lap top. I never use the laptop anymore. It's too slow. The pad loads right away and is much easier. Plus I can do everything on it. Ustream, video recording, you name it.

Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7-Inch, Wi-Fi): Computers & Accessories
Android 4.0

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country.One is by the sword.The other is by debt. - John Adams
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
Iamnoone
Brawn
Points: 1,134, Level: 18 Points: 1,134, Level: 18 Points: 1,134, Level: 18
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: dead lift
Fav Supp: ON Protein
Iamnoone has made some good postsIamnoone has made some good postsIamnoone has made some good postsIamnoone has made some good postsIamnoone has made some good postsIamnoone has made some good postsIamnoone has made some good postsIamnoone has made some good postsIamnoone has made some good postsIamnoone has made some good postsIamnoone has made some good posts

Ipad all the way couldn't live without ours
Iamnoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Quote:

Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7-Inch, Wi-Fi): Computers & Accessories
Do you own the additional keyboard? I would like to know how that works out for people, seems to get mied results
Old 11-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricka182 View Post
I am on a newly purchased HP Pavillion dv6. I paid $750 back in July. It's fairly impressive, much faster than the machines I have in my work lab. I've been in IT for 10+ years, mostly on the hardware side. I just moved to software support and testing a few weeks ago.

Do you have experience with Apple? Not to much different than PC, but there is a slight learning curve, just to get used to what's different in naming and location, etc. From it what it sounds like, an Ipad might be a good buy for you. It'll be small enough to carry around, fast enough to surf the web, and easily process and store workouts and charts. Restrictions would be no network cable port(I think it's only wireless), no CD tray, small screen, lack of audio power, additional keyboard to carry if desired, possibly a few more.

I can't say much else about the Ipad, as I don't own one. I would give either the model I referenced up top a look, or maybe for a bit more the new Intel Ultrabooks, another pretty good recent release. My laptop has Win 7, running on a 3rd Gen I7 CPU with 8GB of memory, with a hybrid ssd/sata hard drive for extra boot speed. I'm at my desktop in 15 seconds from a cold boot. You might not need all those stats, but the lower model HPs are also pretty good, but less specs for a lower price.
thanks man, I am really leaning towards the ipad. I am not too familiar with apple, but from what I hear it is pretty user friendly. I will definitely look at your suggestions also. My work laptop is an HP and I really like it.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

I use the Asus Transformer TF300T for all of my dieting and training session logging and note taking. Its the little brother to the TF700T.

It has a detachable/attachable 10.1 screen that can lock/unlock to a keyboard dock, and has a quad-core processor Nvidia Tegra 3 Chipset (with a 5th cpu core of low processes), 1gb of ram, 32 gigs of internal storage, 8 megapixel camera, and converts to a small micro laptop easily. 15 hours of battery life with dock.

Why I picked this over an ipad: It is largely due to the "localized drive memory expansion compared to the limitations of the ipad in this specific area":

1. One microSD on tablet: For expansion up to 128 gigs.
2. One full-size SD: For expansion up to 256 gigs.
3. One USB Port: For windows formatted drives up to 768 gigs, and one can use a mouse, and can use an XBOX controller to play games. Also will recognize thumb drives of up to 64 gigs.

When training I detach the tablet from the keyboard doc, and use it as a tablet to record my sets/reps (etc) during the workout session. When done I reattach the tablet (to put in laptop mode), to do more serious note taking, and remarks, etc. I do not like keyboards with tablets that do NOT attach itself to the tablet face (such as the ipad). And, though their is cloud storage, I like having my data WITH ME and being able to back it up, where I HAVE IT, and do not depend on the internet, and can use the internet for my data if necessary.

Best thing I ever bought, hands down.

Here are some pics of my baby:

I use Office Pro 6 (excel, word) to record my sessions, and diet. And Mobile Noter to make comments on progression, goal status, etc, etc. And, I use Jorte to make my schedule for my diet and training sessions. Mobile Noter will also allow conversion to Microsoft One Note and office pro will convert MS excel, which is what I wanted in the event of failure and I can move to the laptop and use it.

Side by side comparison to my laptop:

Though the pic doesn't do its justice, it is tiny in comparison, and just right. I do web work, IT, work for a living, as well as manage hotel franchises, and local data important, as well as availability where ever I may go, and this just fits.

As far as price: $349 (may find it cheaper), and dock is $120ish. With this you get it cheaper than the Ipad, and much more drive expansion and expansion above what the ipad can offer, in my opinion.

I am very methodical and record just about everything in my diet and training, and have for many years. And, this fits right in with what I need out of it.

Best wishes,

Chillen

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 11-07-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
Do you own the additional keyboard? I would like to know how that works out for people, seems to get mied results
No. I would like one but some sure it handles a keyboard. I am clueless in that regard.

That's the one thing I don't like about pads...I don't like pad keyboards for writing.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #10
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quote:
No. I would like one but some sure it handles a keyboard. I am clueless in that regard.

That's the one thing I don't like about pads...I don't like pad keyboards for writing.
You can get keyboards for the iPad. Mostly Bluetooth and slightly smaller than standard.

Thing with an iPad is you still need a laptop or desktop to store the bigger stuff like photos or music. If you don't have much of either though, iPad is golden I think.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote