Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:40 AM   #1
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member
Default Yet another nutter

What's wrong with people these days? Random shootings have spiked up this year, it seems.

BBC News - Halloween party shooting at California university
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Between that and school fights.

The number of students they allow to remain in school after fighting up here is plain old silly.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Between that and school fights.

The number of students they allow to remain in school after fighting up here is plain old silly.
No Child Left behind. Principles are "graded" on drop outs, suspensions, fights, theft, and lots of other stuff. They will make the numbers look low at all costs.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Plus kicking them out of school, will only lead them to a criminal life moreso than if they got some tiny bit of an education.

If I haven't stated it before, if we had a National curriculum that all students followed, along with mandatory uniforms, and a full year school calendar, school violence would drop, and performance would rise. This coupled with an absolute barrier against all illegals who are taking from those who rightfully belong in this country, and there is potential to once again be a great land.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricka182 View Post
Plus kicking them out of school, will only lead them to a criminal life moreso than if they got some tiny bit of an education.

If I haven't stated it before, if we had a National curriculum that all students followed, along with mandatory uniforms, and a full year school calendar, school violence would drop, and performance would rise. This coupled with an absolute barrier against all illegals who are taking from those who rightfully belong in this country, and there is potential to once again be a great land.
I like most of that, so long as the nerds like me can take accelerated courses. I hated the attempts to slow me down so I would stay in line with the class and eventually began taking courses at the local community college after school in 9th grade for stuff like chemistry and calculus. That could well fit in with a national curriculum though.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

The issue up here is that the same students are always causing the issues, yet nothing is done. The schools are de facto involved with promoting bullying with their non-punishments.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
I like most of that, so long as the nerds like me can take accelerated courses. I hated the attempts to slow me down so I would stay in line with the class and eventually began taking courses at the local community college after school in 9th grade for stuff like chemistry and calculus. That could well fit in with a national curriculum though.
We had this thing called BEAM, for advanced students. Like an early honor roll. They got better field trips, longer recess, and everyone studied hard to be as smart as they were, but were still able to accept if they couldn't make it. No one felt left out, and the BEAM kids never made fun of anyone. They also sat with us for all but 2 class periods.

Nowadays, it's about being cool and social. And thanks to the Columbine jackassess, we can't say no cell phones in school anymore. If I have kids, I'd rather home school them.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
The issue up here is that the same students are always causing the issues, yet nothing is done. The schools are de facto involved with promoting bullying with their non-punishments.
I may be shooting in the dark. But I believe, these days some parents are way too lax and downright irresponsible. They need to have an education themselves about being responsible before raising kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
I like most of that, so long as the nerds like me can take accelerated courses.
A lot is being said about how the education system needs to be reformed. But this is one feature of American education system that I like - if someone's good, let him/her soar instead of slowing him/her down.

That said, advance placement courses needs to be selected carefully. For example, I have seen cases where kids try to go to an advanced level course in physics without developing the mathematical foundations well enough first. As you might guess, they end result was not very good. Good counselors are required to guide the bright kids properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricka182 View Post
Nowadays, it's about being cool and social. And thanks to the Columbine jackassess, we can't say no cell phones in school anymore.
Yeah. If you are texting, or facebooking during a lecture, you better get out. A lot of the time, even before the teacher starts teaching a course, he has lost the student's attention to a lady gaga number that his friend "liked". I liked the old fashioned way where you studied in school, and then some more at home, after which you were free to indulge in recreational activities.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
I may be shooting in the dark. But I believe, these days some parents are way too lax and downright irresponsible. They need to have an education themselves about being responsible before raising kids.
No you're right on.

The problem as I see it is that too many parents are still trying to live like kids. Up here the drinking, messing around and all that other nonsense is commonplace. The amount of people who take parenting seriously is about 50%, based on the phone calls we've had to make over the years.

Heck I even know some NPs who but booze for their teen's drinking parties. "All good fun."

Old 11-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post

That said, advance placement courses needs to be selected carefully. For example, I have seen cases where kids try to go to an advanced level course in physics without developing the mathematical foundations well enough first.
I was an AP guy in 11th grade. I received poor counseling and was generally nudged into every possible AP course by various teachers. I was not ready for AP English Lit or AP Biology at that age. I just didn't have the scholastic discipline to "care" enough about things that weren't math heavy.

So I agree with you. It is easy to jump into advanced courses just because you tend to do generally well in school.