Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   One-month challenge...who's in? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11550)

5kgLifter 10-31-2012 04:55 PM

One-month challenge...who's in?

Not lifting, not cardio...but more helpful than you'd think...if you can stick it for a month, if you even choose to begin, you'll notice the difference:

For those that are not so flexible:

Yoga may not be something most would consider but some of the poses stretch quite a number of muscle groups, and that's just one benefit.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the normal short duration is 12 reps on each side, so L then R and continue for 12. Or, alternatively some people set a time duration of 2 to 5 minutes, still alternating L and R.

The alternation is noted by the lead leg that goes back first to the lead up in to the push-up (or 8 points) posture.

Also, for those that are really inflexible, if you try this in the morning, you may get discouraged; give it a shot in the evening, when the body is warm, it really does make a huge difference.

bruteforce 10-31-2012 05:08 PM

You know, that might actually be a good idea for me. I have strength and flexibility imbalances on both sides, and who knows, it might keep me healthier in the long run.

5kgLifter 10-31-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruteforce (Post 289210)
You know, that might actually be a good idea for me. I have strength and flexibility imbalances on both sides, and who knows, it might keep me healthier in the long run.

If you do decide to go for it longterm, get yourself a sticky mat (that's the name of them), they're cheap, it will prevent slippage of hands and feet.

BendtheBar 10-31-2012 05:20 PM

So this would entail only about 4 minutes a day? If so I'll give it a whirl...

5kgLifter 10-31-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 289218)
So this would entail only about 4 minutes a day? If so I'll give it a whirl...

Yup, not long at all, evening may be the better option just before you eat your big meal of the day...the body is more pliable then, even for flexible people, strangely.

BendtheBar 10-31-2012 05:27 PM

I might have to start on Saturday. How's that? I'll even get a video :)

5kgLifter 10-31-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 289230)
I might have to start on Saturday. How's that? I'll even get a video :)

No vids needed ;) unless you really want to do one. Saturday's good; one month starting any time people choose, whatever's convenient.

I'll be starting tomorrow.

5kgLifter 10-31-2012 05:37 PM

Here's a fun one-off challenge, for anybody that's up for it...how long can you last in the pose? Get that stopwatch out...let's see how long before that quad starts trembling and crying out for you to stop. :D

This is really just to highlight how much energy and strength is required for basic yoga...this warrior Pose is also incorportaed in to the Sun Salutation, of which there are quite a few versions.

I'll be posting my time on this in a few minutes or less, depending how it goes...:tomato:

5kgLifter 10-31-2012 05:41 PM

I managed an abysmal 72 secs in the Warrior Pose. :march:

BendtheBar 10-31-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 289236)
Here's a fun one-off challenge, for anybody that's up for it...how long can you last in the pose? Get that stopwatch out...let's see how long before that quad starts trembling and crying out for you to stop. :D

Warrior Pose - virabhadrasana 2 - YouTube

This is really just to highlight how much energy and strength is required for basic yoga...this warrior Pose is also incorportaed in to the Sun Salutation, of which there are quite a few versions.

I'll be posting my time on this in a few minutes or less, depending how it goes...:tomato:

I'll challenge my daughter tonight!