Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:14 AM   #1
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Default Getting fit is not a goal...

...apparently

But, muscle building is a goal and so is fat loss, yet neither are any more specific (when listed in a profile) than gettting fit.

Muscle building involves: diet, training
Fat loss involves: diet, training
Getting fit involves: diet, training

Yeah, all the diets and training are revolved around the goal...so, how does getting fit not become worthy of being considered a goal? Someone building muscle will still have a loose plan that the body will either fully comply with or not, in much the same way as a person getting fit.

Someone listing their goals as "Build Muscle" doesn't necessarily state they are throwing "Getting Fit" out of the equation either, in fact very often it underlines the muscle build.

I truly give up with people.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Well that's interesting. That was a goal of mine for quite a number of years.

I remember the good old days when lifting, fitness and healthy living walked hand in hand. Letting my fitness levels slip over the years was probably the worst decision I ever made with regards to exercise.

Being fit provided so many benefits.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 10-08-2012 at 08:51 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
IronWill
Max Brawn
Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

IronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beast

I don't know what prompted this, but maybe it was to indicate that being fit is more of an ongoing venture. In the spirit of life is a journey, not a destination.
IronWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

I will never forget the lessons I have learned and what I will learn in the future while spending time under the bar. In addition, I will never forget the "person in mind and body" at 44 years old (approximately) as compared to the "person in mind and body" at 51 years old. To compare these two completely different persons are so dramatic to say that "fitness--in mind and body--is not a goal" would put some that think this way in a category of convulsions of stupidity.

If I had not had fitness goals. If I had not have had dietary goals. If I had not had "quality" time under the bar--it would have shown--by me to this very day, looking like the sterotypical 51 year old with many, many, physical and/or medical complications. Instead, at nearly a half a century old (oh....I am a half-century old dude, lol.....), I can "honestly" stand up and stand side by side someone HALF MY AGE and look better physically.

And, for this I owe to having fitness goals..........

Having fitness goals ROCKS!

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 10-08-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWill View Post
I don't know what prompted this, but maybe it was to indicate that being fit is more of an ongoing venture. In the spirit of life is a journey, not a destination.
It was a post on another foum that prompted the thread, oddly made by a respected member who honestly doesn't believe that fitness is a goal.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I get to work with a lot of fitness models, male and female. Quite a large number of them not only chase a good body, but a quality fitness level. The interesting part is that they often look just as good as the average bodybuilder (not elite, average) - male or female.

Point being - sometimes this industry puts fear into young minds making them think exercise beyond muscle building is 100% catabolic, 100% of the time. Anabolism above all!

I played basketball for an hour each day when I lifted. Then I played ping pong, walked 2 miles to classes, and also loved to go running. I still built muscle because I used common sense and just ate according to my hunger levels.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post

Point being - sometimes this industry puts fear into young minds making them think exercise beyond muscle building is 100% catabolic, 100% of the time. Anabolism above all!
I agree with the other statements as well but this one in particular about anabolism is the strangest that I've come across, several times, the body needs cycles of breakdown and growth otherwise it's not good for it but some people, in their quest for muscle, don't seem to comprehend that and want to push the body to adapt to a cycle of continual growth which is not what the human body does, not even to grow.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
don't seem to comprehend that and want to push the body to adapt to a cycle of continual growth which is not what the human body does, not even to grow.
Too many try to substitute volume for time. Or calories for time.

My bulk failed. Of course, you added 40 pounds in 4 months while adding little strength. You need to add 40 pounds in years, not months.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 10-08-2012 at 10:43 AM.